ID@Xbox Summer Spotlight [2020]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
To bring more attention to the smaller style games here's the ID@XBox Summer Spotlight thread. I believe, there's developer voice-overs for all of the games.

Initial Xbox news Article: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/24/id-xbox-launches-summer-spotlight-series/

Summer Spotlight 1
  • SkateBird
  • Spellbreak
  • The Falconeer
  • The Forgotten City
  • Trash Sailors
  • Call of the Sea
  • Dead Static Drive
  • Welcome to Elk

Summer Spotlight 2
  • Carrion
  • Ary and the Secret of Seasons
  • Atrio: The Dark Wild
  • Black Book
  • No Straight Roads

Summer Spotlight 3
  • Everspace 2
  • Foregone
  • Going Under
  • Hitchhiker – A Mystery Game
  • Paradise Lost

Summer Spotlight 4
  • ScourgeBringer
  • Phogs!
  • Psikodelya
  • Sail Forth
  • Super Meat Boy Forever

Summer Spotlight 5
  • The Ascent
  • Cake Bash
  • The Riftbreaker
  • The Universim
  • Cyber Shadow

Summer Spotlight 6
  • Knight Squad 2
  • Boomerang Fu
  • VoidTrain
  • Wintermoor Tactics Club
  • Xuan-Yuan Sword VII
  • Backbone

Highlights for me:

Falconeer - hope it's not too difficult. Journey on a falcon? :p
Trash Sailors - what I probably wanted from Sea of Thieves multiplayer. :LOL:
Call of the Sea (reminds me of that Close to the Sun game for some reason even though it's a completely different setting).

Carrion - creepy good
Everspace 2 - played the first game for a little while, but I got bored of it quickly with the resource stuff. It was a pretty game though. The sequel looks more interesting to play.
Foregone - looks tight
Paradise Lost - love walking sims. I like the atmosphere.
Sail Forth - also what I wanted from Sea of Thieves? :LOL:

The Ascent - only problem for me is that I have difficulty with playing twin-stick shooters. I'd be more in favour of a target locking with % chance to hit kinda rolled in there though that's completely different.

Cake Bash - looks hilarious
Riftbreaker - mm... twin stick and base building - I could probably live with the twin stick shooting given that there are hordes of enemies. Looks more interesting to play than The Ascent.
Universim - hopefully laid back enough with a good UX.
Cybershadow - very retro. Reminds me of The Batman game for NES a bit.
Backbone - I played the preview demo on Steam. I liked the setting although I had some issues with the dialogue system (a little janky). Needs a Red Panda.

Last edited:
Highlights for me:

Falconeer - hope it's not too difficult. Journey on a falcon? :p
Trash Sailors - what I probably wanted from Sea of Thieves multiplayer. :LOL:
Call of the Sea (reminds me of that Close to the Sun game for some reason even though it's a completely different setting).

Carrion - creepy good
Everspace 2 - played the first game for a little while, but I got bored of it quickly with the resource stuff. It was a pretty game though. The sequel looks more interesting to play.
Foregone - looks tight
Paradise Lost - love walking sims. I like the atmosphere.
Sail Forth - also what I wanted from Sea of Thieves? :LOL:

The Ascent - only problem for me is that I have difficulty with playing twin-stick shooters. I'd be more in favour of a target locking with % chance to hit kinda rolled in there though that's completely different.

Cake Bash - looks hilarious
Riftbreaker - mm... twin stick and base building - I could probably live with the twin stick shooting given that there are hordes of enemies. Looks more interesting to play than The Ascent.
Universim - hopefully laid back enough with a good UX.
Cybershadow - very retro. Reminds me of The Batman game for NES a bit.
Backbone - I played the preview demo on Steam. I liked the setting although I had some issues with the dialogue system (a little janky). Needs a Red Panda.
There's definitely a lot of titles in there I want to check out. Hoping a lot of them come to game pass.

I just started No Man's Sky since it's on PC gamepass. It's actually pretty good. lol

To bring more attention to the smaller style games here's the ID@XBox Summer Spotlight thread. I believe, there's developer voice-overs for all of the games.

Initial Xbox news Article: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/24/id-xbox-launches-summer-spotlight-series/

Summer Spotlight 1
  • SkateBird
  • Spellbreak
  • The Falconeer
  • The Forgotten City
  • Trash Sailors
  • Call of the Sea
  • Dead Static Drive
  • Welcome to Elk

Crazy. After vanishing for a decade, Megan Fox is now doing Machine Gun Kelly rap videos and heading the studio developing Skatebird. Remarkable.

on the topic of these smaller titles.

Battletech is way too long.
I feel like Wasteland 2 is probably too long
and wasteland 3 is probably too long

just let me finish it under 20 hours. Please.

And no achievements that require grinding of 2000 hours!

Great to see Indie games being showcased. This benefits everyone as most if not all of these will appear on many platforms.

Everspace 2 is changing the game structure. They are removing the roguelike aspects of the game (basically what the first game focused on) and instead making it more of an open world progression style of game. Sort of like Microsoft's Freelancer, but with the gameplay mechanics of the first Everspace.

There's a demo that you can try on Steam that is pretty impressive, IMO. I couldn't get into the first one, but this one sounds like something that might hold my interest for a bit.

Regards,
SB

Great to see Indie games being showcased. This benefits everyone as most if not all of these will appear on many platforms.

Everspace 2 is changing the game structure. They are removing the roguelike aspects of the game (basically what the first game focused on) and instead making it more of an open world progression style of game. Sort of like Microsoft's Freelancer, but with the gameplay mechanics of the first Everspace.

There's a demo that you can try on Steam that is pretty impressive. IMO - I couldn't get into the first one, but this one sounds like something that might hold my interest for a bit.

Regards,
SB
how is elite dangerous compared to ever space?

how is elite dangerous compared to ever space?

Elite Dangerous is more of a technical space flight simulator.

Everspace is more of an arcade style space opera. To the point where mouse and keyboard controls are similar to your standard FPS game.

Regards,
SB

Elite Dangerous is more of a technical space flight simulator.

Everspace is more of an arcade style space opera. To the point where mouse and keyboard controls are similar to your standard FPS game.

Regards,
SB
hmmm.. i get it.

I wonder where teh new star wars squadrons will fit in. I sort of like the idea of burning and sliding, but that's not really a star wars thing.

hmmm.. i get it.

I wonder where teh new star wars squadrons will fit in. I sort of like the idea of burning and sliding, but that's not really a star wars thing.

I'm guessing it'll be arcade style with bits of Star Was simulation. For example power management (shields, engines, etc.) and other Star Warsy things.

Regards,
SB

Summer Spotlight 1
  • SkateBird
  • Spellbreak
  • The Falconeer
  • The Forgotten City
  • Trash Sailors
  • Call of the Sea
  • Dead Static Drive
  • Welcome to Elk
Trash sailors looks fun, although balancing that well is probably quite hard.

Back