Mixer settles into the Microsoft graveyard on 2020-07-22.

this makes me so mad, The integration in the xbox dashboard was abysmal, and their public web offering was even worse.. They had so much opportunity to make this a success..

Not sure who is more to blame, the Mixer managers/VP's or Phil and his team ..

p.s. ive freed myself of all things FB and will never use any of their products again...

I'm scared of investing in any product from a company that is willing to push and spend so much in something and then kill it without any warning

I'm scared of investing in any product from a company that is willing to push and spend so much in something and then kill it without any warning
Technically they gave you a month's warning - it doesn't shut down until July 22nd.

Yes of course, but going from this is the best product in the industry made from the best people that I ever collaborated you must try it, to will destroy it anyway it sucked go to our competitor they have the best product in the industry, is hysterical.
They even invested crapload of money to pay streamers! 20 million just to convince someone to play games on your platform! And then puff, go play on twitch, who cares.
They are not damaging me, but it's scary behavior, more because it's something that I expect from google not from microsoft.
Buy now a full year of xcloud, read a tweet six months later about how cool it was to try and how you must play with stadia instead.

To you it's a lot of money, but to Microsoft it's literally just Tuesday.
I think that's the point @fehu was making . Microsoft can afford this but for everybody who has invested time/energy/money (Embers) into Mixer, I imagine it's a blow. You don't want a Google-level reputation of launching-and-killing services because once you get this, folks will be wary of investing in your service and they're doomed never to succeed.

You become wary of any new business/service that isn't a a significant part of the company's revenue.

Don't forget the downward spiral....

960x0.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...grew-99-in-lockdown-microsofts-mixer-grew-02/

But then was just a month earlier...

Total hours watched on Mixer rose 33% annually to 82.5 million, while total hours streamed surged 269% to 28.4 million. Its number of unique channels grew 136% to 3.6 million, as its average number of concurrent viewers rose 34% to 37,584.

During the same period, Twitch's total hours watched dipped 1% to 2.3 billion as its total hours streamed fell 4% to 82.7 million. Its number of unique channels fell 22% to 3.7 million, as its average number of concurrent viewers dipped 1% to 1.05 million.

At first glance, Mixer doesn't seem like a major threat to Twitch or YouTube Gaming Live. Mixer controlled just 2.7% of the market in terms of hours watched in 2019, compared to Twitch's 75.1% share and YouTube's 22.1% share.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/03/19/amazons-twitch-is-still-losing-ground-to-microsoft.aspx

Tommy McClain

Facebook was offering top streamers double the money that Mixer contract was for. Some of them forced Mixer to buy out their contracts. That is if what this tweet says is true.
I'm not understanding what is being described here. If Microsoft/Mixer have a contract with a streamer to exclusively use their platform, then that streamer has to stay with that platform until the contract expires. If you get an offer from somebody else mid-contract, you don't get to force new terms on the other party because you signed a contract, dumb-ass. This only becomes a point of negotiation once the contract term comes to an end.

I don't get it. :???:

Like a lot of these online platforms the 'network effect' is what separates the successful from the non-successful. Mixer never seemed to get any traction in that regard.

I don't get it. :???:

It's being treated like a division acquisition or sports contract extensions or sports team trading before they became free agents. This is more like talent contracts not too different from sports. The normal contracts we're used to are out the window.

At least that's what I think they're doing.

I dont understand why MS pushes bad products so hard. When the solution usually seems so easy.

Windows phone, dumb, ass-ugly tiles. Noone wanted that. Literally no one. Just make icons like ya know WINDOWS or Android and it would have been another story. I would have bought one instead of hemming and hawing around it forever and buying Android instead.

Bing- Just copy googles look already.

Mixer-sucked. Cant explain/remember why, just did. COPY TWITCH.

All they have to do in most cases is COPY what others have done. Instead they make horrible products even a fanboy like me wouldn't tolerate, like windows Phone.

Granted MS is filthy rich, and have many more boring, not consumer facing, successes, but I dont think their stock price necessarily reflects reality.

I can't agree with this list

I loved the tiles of my windows phone. I was able to get my information quickly without having to open new apps. It fell apart when the other companies wanted you to go into their apps to get information. I hate on android and IOS having to click a program wait for it to load get the information I need and then go on to the next program.

Bing makes a lot of money
https://venturebeat.com/2019/12/23/...led-microsoft-bings-u-s-market-share-vb-live/

Went from loosing 500k an hour in 2011 to making billions a year in 2015
https://www.statista.com/statistics/267161/market-share-of-search-engines-in-the-united-states/
its 25% of the us market

Also you can earn bing points which gets you amazon gift cards , microsoft gift cards and other perks. Most people on B3D that I talk to just get game pass ultimate free through it. I use a little duck duck go and then the rest is bing. I haven't used google in years

Mixer had its problems which was mostly content. However it had a lower latency and better video codec. The streams were much better in that regard. Twitch started out years before it was acquired by amazon and then was folded into prime. Amazon gives away a subscription bundled with your prime membership. So you could automatically subscribe to your favorite streamer.

I loved the tiles of my windows phone. I was able to get my information quickly without having to open new apps. It fell apart when the other companies wanted you to go into their apps to get information. I hate on android and IOS having to click a program wait for it to load get the information I need and then go on to the next program.

Good news! Apple just brought back Windows Phone.

Tommy McClain

Tommy McClain
lol yea but its still apple !

On my phone I only really use 4 programs at this point. I don't use social media. I really only post here and some sub reddits. I prefer to just use my pc or surface as its much easier with my sausage fingers to type on a keyboard than a screen.
Once teams comes out later this summer fall for all users I will move my family off facebook messenger and we will just use teams. Aside from that I have my garmin watch program , audible , podcast addict and pandora.. oh and outlook.

So yea its not like I use much on the phone anymore. I don't even really play any games on my phone any more. I am waiting for the neo to come out and then I think my phone use will almost not exist

Yes of course, but going from this is the best product in the industry made from the best people that I ever collaborated you must try it, to will destroy it anyway it sucked go to our competitor they have the best product in the industry, is hysterical.
They even invested crapload of money to pay streamers! 20 million just to convince someone to play games on your platform! And then puff, go play on twitch, who cares.
They are not damaging me, but it's scary behavior, more because it's something that I expect from google not from microsoft.
Buy now a full year of xcloud, read a tweet six months later about how cool it was to try and how you must play with stadia instead.

I think that's the point @fehu was making . Microsoft can afford this but for everybody who has invested time/energy/money (Embers) into Mixer, I imagine it's a blow. You don't want a Google-level reputation of launching-and-killing services because once you get this, folks will be wary of investing in your service and they're doomed never to succeed.

You become wary of any new business/service that isn't a a significant part of the company's revenue.

Yeah, you're both absolutely correct. I was leaning too heavily on the humour of it being a MS "Tuesday", both literally and metaphorically. :D

I got burned on MS somewhat by Windows Phone (twice). I loved Windows Phone (both the Nokia hardware I had and the OS), and they promised an upgrade from 8.1 to 10 for my phone, using that to explain why they stopped updating 8.1 almost immediately.

I get that they needed out of the phone market, but to then ditch the upgrade to 10 for me while never providing any security or web browser updates for 8.1 - then killing off stuff like Skype for it long before 3rd party alternatives like Whatsapp and the app store were pulled - did make me think "whelp, don't invest in MS none core products again".

Tommy McClain

I just mentioned Windows Phone! Scalable Live tiles were the best phone UI ever IMO. I'm not even mad at Apple, MS canned it so I'm just glad it's making a comeback. Years ahead of its time.

No shame in pulling something out of the bin of history if it's valuable. The entire console industry has been dumpster diving round the back of Sega's offices for decades.

Back