Pc not starting

Davros

Legend
Copied from another thread as the troubleshooters on the forum are more likely to see it here :

Ok the weirdest thing just happened to me this morning
Woke up went downstairs turned on the pc and nothing it's dead try turning it on an off a few times at the power switch and the psu switch and the surge protector still nothing
so i take out the psu lead and put it in my backup pc which is underneath just to check its not the cable it starts up so I take the leads out of my p.c (usb, network,) audio ect
and start using the backup because i cant handle dealing with the problem first thing in the morning.
In the afternoon I decide to replace the psu (since it's the likely culprit) I dont want to take the psu out of the backup p.c (i5-2400) bacuse then I wont have a backup if its not teh psu and the cabeling is really complicated (many led fans powered from the psu) and have to redo all the cable management.
I have some other p.c's upstairs (core2 quads) then I realise they are oem machines and will have crappy 300watt oem psu's with not enough connectors.
Luckily may backup of my backup pc was there and it had a Thermaltake Toughpower 700w fully modular psu (result) so I remove it and give it a bit of a clean
so before I swap psu's I test my p.c one more time and it works F**k me....

Same thing happened this morning switched pc on and nothing, switched power on and off a few times (at the wall, the surge protector, psu) waited 5 mins and then it worked.
about an hour later I turned off the pc as a test and the same thing happened again.

Just replaced the psu the problem appears to be gone although ive only tested it twice I dont want to test it anymore at the moment because if it fails again I know I will just spend the rest of the day in tears.

edit: also changed these options in the bios
& Power Supply Idle Control (Note)
Enables or disables Package C6 State.
Typical Current Idle Disables this function.
Low Current Idle Enables this function. *
Auto Lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default)

AC BACK
Determines the state of the system after the return of power from an AC power loss.
Memory The system returns to its last known awake state upon the return of the AC power.
Always On The system is turned on upon the return of the AC power. *
Always Off The system stays off upon the return of the AC power. (Default)

Power Loading
Enables or disables dummy load. When the power supply is at low load, a self-protection will activate causing
it to shutdown or fail. If this occurs, please set to Enabled. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure this
setting. (Default: Auto)
Enabled *

Originally set to default changed to the option ending in *
didnt help :(

I have similar problems, with one of my computers
Found out that I have some problem with my power switch.
Is usually work when pressing power on rather hard.
Haven't replaced the switch yet.

Well tonight I came home from day away, fired up a game & after a few mins PC just went off, no beep no pop no magic smoke smell, just dead.

Wouldn't turn on & I was pretty sure it was a PSU/Mobo dead issue until I powered it on after re-seating graphics card & accidentally forgot to plug in power cable -> came on & beeped at me (for no GPU) but at least it showed it was alive.
Plug in the power -> won't turn on again -> unplug -> turns on, definitely is the problem.

Fortunately I found an older graphics card in my bits box & its running OK again on that :yep2:

Now means I'm gonna need a new GPU, had been hoping this one would last a while longer to let me do mobo/CPU (& probably RAM) upgrade when Zen3 comes out first :neutral:
On the bright side my flatmate planning on upgrading his GPU & he's offered the cast-off, down side its an NV :(

Its a GTX 1050, dead card is a RX 480.
My spare is an R9 280X I think, actually held up pretty well playing stuff last night.

I don't mean to disrespect my flatmate offering me to use his old one, I've let him use my cast offs for several years previously, I just really am not a NV kinda guy.

Last edited:
Well I rediscovered why I had stopped using that card: it crashes randomly within about 10-15mins when I load up a game :no:
My older spare only has DVI cables & I seem to have actually got rid of all of mine...

Bought a 5600XT, back up & running stable so-far :smile2:

Back