Mixer settles into the Microsoft graveyard on 2020-07-22.

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
At least the interesting tech that Mixer had will have been pilfered and used in xCloud and now Microsoft will stop spending money on the social-media streaming entertainment platforms competing with Twitch.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21298963/ninja-shroud-mixer-facebook-gaming-twitch

Microsoft is shutting down Mixer and moving most of its streamers to Facebook Gaming as part of a strategic partnership it’s entering with the social media giant. The major streamers locked into exclusivity deals with Mixer — including stars like Tyler “Ninja” Blevins, Cory “King Gothalion” Michael, and Michael “Shroud” Grzesiek — will be released from their contracts, and Microsoft says it’s up to them where they decide to go.​

deead.

They tried everything. I would have given up too. When all other streaming services exploded over COVID but Mixer went stale.

Yea that was the end.

Last edited:
What happened to the audiences of the big names they bought in? Did they hang around or find different people to follow on the other streaming networks?

This is in reaction to the racism that's going on at mixer apparently spear headed by a poc
Yeah, saw that on Resetera. What is a legitimate allegation and what isn’t is neither here not there, sometimes you just need to cut ties with a tainted brand.

What happened to the audiences of the big names they bought in? Did they hang around or find different people to follow on the other streaming networks?

Some of them hanged around, but some left. The top Mixer streamer lost viewers, like over 10 million.

EDIT: misread the count...

That particular acquisition kicked off the war for live-streaming talent, which resulted in YouTube, Facebook Gaming, and Twitch signing many other big names in the streaming space (and more than a few paydays for the beneficiaries). Before last August, explicitly exclusive contracts and professional sports-esque paydays were rare, even though the biggest live-streamers were commanding huge audiences.

It also kicked off a grand experiment: how would viewers respond to their favorite streamers moving to other platforms? The answer wasn’t encouraging. Blevins saw a huge decrease in viewership, though he was by far the biggest name on Mixer, and his follower count dropped by more than 10 million.

Microsoft will now keep hold of the technology that has powered Mixer and supported collaborative and low-latency streaming features. Microsoft Teams will start to use part of this Mixer technology in the future to improve real-time interactivity and low-latency streaming, and the Mixer developers involved in this will remain at Microsoft to help with the work on Teams. “Applying these fan-centric capabilities to new productivity experiences will create immersive ways for Teams to empower people, teams, and organizations to better engage in virtual gatherings at work and school,” says Spencer.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/...g-facebook-gaming-partnership-xcloud-features

And from the MS blog --

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/22/bringing-more-players-into-our-gaming-vision/

Mixer Technology Across Microsoft

Gaming has always pushed technology forward. Livestreaming services, like Mixer, have pioneered a new level of interactive experiences at scale, born from the simple fact that players drive the action in a game. Although the Mixer community will be able to transition to Facebook Gaming, the innovative technology that powered the platform will stay with and live on across Microsoft.

Microsoft Teams will leverage Mixer’s deep investments in ultra-low latency video streaming, real-time interactivity, and video distribution technology to accelerate our ability to support a variety of video-first, virtual experiences from meetings to live events to other broadcast scenarios. Applying these fan-centric capabilities to new productivity experiences will create immersive ways for Teams to empower people, teams, and organizations to better engage in virtual gatherings at work and school.

At Xbox, as we focus on bringing great games and experiences to more people around the world, we look forward to meeting new and even bigger communities as they gather around their favorite games.

I don't believe the facebook stuff was done in a day. I think the closing of mixer was a quick reaction however and since this deal was in place they just pushed it forward

deead.

They tried everything. I would have given up too. When all other streaming services exploded over COVID but Mixer went stale.

Yea that was the end.

I dont understand why MS pushes bad products so hard. When the solution usually seems so easy.

Windows phone, dumb, ass-ugly tiles. Noone wanted that. Literally no one. Just make icons like ya know WINDOWS or Android and it would have been another story. I would have bought one instead of hemming and hawing around it forever and buying Android instead.

Bing- Just copy googles look already.

Mixer-sucked. Cant explain/remember why, just did. COPY TWITCH.

All they have to do in most cases is COPY what others have done. Instead they make horrible products even a fanboy like me wouldn't tolerate, like windows Phone.

Granted MS is filthy rich, and have many more boring, not consumer facing, successes, but I dont think their stock price necessarily reflects reality.

I'm not sure what it is, but Twitch has an absolutely horrible look and feel to it. It feels like horrible Java UIs. I really dislike it. On top of that, the stream is so delayed (higher latency) compared to other streaming platforms. If they copied Twitch it would have been even worse -- I suppose when everyone is already used to the pain of Twitch then being a copy of it they would have been used to it.

At least Microsoft got some solid technology out of the acquisition a few years ago.

I dont understand why MS pushes bad products so hard. When the solution usually seems so easy.

Windows phone, dumb, ass-ugly tiles. Noone wanted that. Literally no one. Just make icons like ya know WINDOWS or Android and it would have been another story. I would have bought one instead of hemming and hawing around it forever and buying Android instead.

All they have to do in most cases is COPY what others have done. Instead they make horrible products even a fanboy like me wouldn't tolerate, like windows Phone.

Granted MS is filthy rich, and have many more boring, not consumer facing, successes, but I dont think their stock price necessarily reflects reality.
Takes a lot to break into a market. They work out future profits, revenues, strategies, etc. Sees how it can fit into their plans further down the road. It's not easy making anything popular, MS struggles with this type of thing, for all their products. They have an incredibly difficult time shrugging off their past, I am still shocked to this day Xbox made it, as it equally could have been like Mixer or any other product considering how much it continues to fail outside of 2 major markets.

When it comes to MS, nothing is ever incredibly straight forward. They don't sell isolated products. they look at developing products to integrate into the Microsoft stack. And a lot of people don't like that, sometimes it comes with a lot of MS baggage that ruins the experience.

How does copying win market share vs. an established competitor? Mixer was late to the party and paid the price, windows phone was the same.

Not really sure what you're trying to get at with stock price. Investor confidence determines stock price. Tech has been strong in the pandemic and MS pays dividends so even if they were flagging in performance there is still value.

Mixer was the only streaming platform that wasn't gaining market share from twitch. Facebook and youtube were both taking share from Twitch and Mixer was just stagnant. They paid to get Ninja and Shroud but it didn't work. Too bad because they had the best quality video streams and maybe the best platform interface. Just never took off. Facebook and Youtube just had built-in users that Mixer couldn't compete with.

I don't think Microsoft's problem is bad products, it's trying to break into already matured markets with very little new to offer. The markets in which they succeed, desktop OSs, productivity software, cloud services, they were early (or relatively early) market entrants. Every other mainstream market Microsoft has since tried to enter has been an uphill fight.

I assume tighter Facebook integration into future Xbox dashboards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back