What's the state of the art of procedural face animation? *spawn

Ike Turner

Veteran

-The Emotional Systemic System covers everything from ambient states, to automatic dialogue, to combat, to swimming and even breathing. All of this now allows us to emotionally pace each character from beginning to end, blending in and out of cinematics seamlessly
-The Emotion System handles roughly 85% of 25 hours of non-cinematic, in-game facial animation
- 104,500 lines of dialogue in English + 12 Localized Languages, as well as 20,000 lines that are marked for gender variation (if the language supports it) ran through the emotional systemic facial system
I'm not sure about the "It’s like nothing that anyone has ever seen in games." though.....

I'm not sure about the "It’s like nothing that anyone has ever seen in games." though.....

I read your post and thought "I agree".

Examples? Because the facial animation looks absolutely on point - little subtle movements etc are extremely realistic.

Then I read this post and thought "what games, though?"

The combination of reactive animations and facial animations, mostly grimaces and pain because I'm not avoid combat in TLoU Pt II, is.. what do the kids say these days? "Hella impressive". :yep2:

It's likely a case of procedural facial animation existing somewhere, but not to this degree, such that it's both "like nothing that anyone has ever seen in games" because no-one ever seen this sort of result, and not "like nothing that anyone has ever seen in games" because games have had this technique before in some lesser capacity.

That's my guess having neither seen TLoU 2's facial animation nor having references to any comparable games. It'd be nice to have some reference videos to compare.

While swinging the camera around I caught a glimpse of Ellie's face and it was surreal. The in game facial animations is like nothing I've seen.

For multiplayer I really wish we'd get FOIP

This face ware stuff is amazing in all honesty. I'd love to see something like this in VR and other games as it brings a lot more life into the game. I've played with it myself but my camera is a bit older I think a 2014 model. Hopefully as games start putting this out there will be some affordable 4k cameras that are high frame rate.

Sony has a nice high def camera coming out for the ps5 , the specs for it might be a really good match for something like this

That's not really related. The reported tech is using calculated animation instead of motion-captured. 20+ hours of virtual acting in the cutscenes is by computer simulation rather than digitised human acting.

Back