Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

So we know the BOM difference is literally just the ODD and the licensing for UHD bluray playback (which Sony still needs to pay some of it, maybe $5 or so).

If they end up with a big price gap and lose money on the DE, I wonder if it would shift the sales in that direction, or otherwise if they go for 499 and 479 to match the BOM difference, more would take the one with the drive.

It kind of depends.

For example, if they take a loss on the hardware (discounting further than just the BOM cost of the drive and licensing) but gain an increased attached ratio due to lack of used games and less borrowing of games, then it's possible the diskless version may generate more profits despite a loss on the hardware.

OTOH - if there isn't an increased attach rate then it comes down to whether Sony's margins on the DD version of every game sold is higher than what they get from physical game sales.

And lastly, if neither of those benefits the DD only version then they might consider ditching the DD version. Although even then with sales increasing moving towards DD, I'd imagine they would still stick with it.

Regards,
SB

image0.png

(if true) I think it has less depth than the PS4 Pro. It's very tall though.

Given other comparisons, if that pic is true, the PS5 will be 35-36cm tall, 23-24 cm depth (6cm less than the PS4 Pro) and 8cm wide.

This is making the rounds on other forums

Series X is much thicker tho. Series X is 15cm on the sides. PS5 should be close to 8-9cm, the digital only should be leaner.

UAyFhuG.png

Estimated volume:

PS5: 36*23*8= 6.624
XBSX: 30*15*15= 6.750

It's totally possible that PS5 has less volume than the XBSX.

edit: Well, there is a good possibility given PS5 is 8-9cm wide near the bottom, where the console is thickest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given other comparisons, if that pic is true, the PS5 will be 35-36cm tall, 23-24 cm depth (6cm less than the PS4 Pro) and 8cm wide.

Series X is much thicker tho. Series X is 15cm on the sides. PS5 should be close to 8-9cm, the digital only should be leaner.

UAyFhuG.png

Thick is good bro !

The XSX looks to be thicker but I think it will fit in more entertainment centers than the ps5. Will be nice when we start seeing them next to other systems in the wild

Match vests aaannd shoes? Thought maybe it’s the reality of working in a clean room environment. But Doug over there looks like he wore them shits outside.

Form factor wise it looks like the PS5 was design to sit vertically. But giving its dimensions it looks better suited to be placed flat on its side.

Last edited:
PS4: 12" x 11"
No! Make it bigger! I don't care if it's big as long as it's quiet!
Make is shallower so it fits better in my TV cabinet!

PS5: 15" x10"
It's too big!

- teh internets

The internets is fickle and changes its mind all the time.

PS4: Performance is everything

PS5: Performance doesn't matter

- the internets

Back