Grounded (Obsidian Entertainment) [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Tried it - seemed alright. Feels like there'd be a little too many options, though I'd prefer the circle menus to be controlled by left-stick instead of right-stick while I'd prefer bumper for switching tabs instead of the triggers.

I kept dying a lot, which I guess is normal, but I think I'd prefer a super human casual mode to just do my own thing and explore and craft without having to worry about being murdered (their words!) by ants and spiders (and ladybugs!). Dying over and over was more annoying than suspenseful. I do like the idea of crafting in this game, but I wonder how extensive it can get.

Performance was mostly okay on One S.

Those fuckin soldier ants.

Sort of the neat thing with games like this; loads of enemy variety types... easy to source since it’s basically from the real world.

other games, there’s like 4 enemy types
Per faction. Max.

Sort of the neat thing with games like this; loads of enemy variety types... easy to source since it’s basically from the real world.

other games, there’s like 4 enemy types
Per faction. Max.
I was surprised that there's no black widow....yet. :oops:

I stumbled upon a couple orb weavers, but I only noticed when they were walking away from the mid-distance. Freaky music ensued.

This almost felt rogue-like.

In that my first play time of 30 minutes was a lot of deaths and not much figuring things out. In my second play session I made more progress and completed more tutorial. But then I got entirely overwhelmed when figuring out the cause of the one laser signal's weakness.

I know it's not supposed to be like that, but it's how I learned. Plenty of fun even solo.

Voice cast was announced last week & I missed it:

• Ozioma Akagha (“Runaways,” “Teen Titans Go!”) as Willow
  • Josh Brenner (“Silicon Valley,” “Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”) as BURG.L
  • Charlet Takahashi Chung (Overwatch, “Carmen Sandiego”) as Hoops
  • Zachary Levi (“Shazam!,” “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”) as Wendell
  • Max Mittelman (Spider-Man, Final Fantasy VII Remake) as Pete
  • Luke Youngblood (“Community,” “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets”) as Max

GroundedVoices_HERO.jpg

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/24/meet-the-big-voices-for-the-tiny-characters-of-grounded/

Anybody have the Preview pre-loaded? Should be go tonight @ midnight?

Tommy McClain

I've never had a good experience with pre-loading Xbox/WinStore, so I'd probably just wait until after it goes live. :p

It's about 4gb. Not too bad. BTW, check out the new Game Pass mobile app. It's ace & works great even if you have more than 1 console.

How is it so small!?!?! :runaway: I know it's not unheard of, the Lego games are typically quite small as well.

I got it on Steam and played for a few hours.

Performance is good, even with 4K resolution. Even in early access, there're not too many bugs (ugh, there are many "bugs" in game, but not that kind of bugs :p ), only a few bugs stuck under ground or so, nothing too serious.
My only problem is that the spiders are way too powerful in early games. I practically got one shotted by a golden orb (or any other kinds of spider), even with clover armors. Blocking did reduce the damage but it's still hopeless. I have to run every time I saw a spider (which might be intended, but I'm not entirely sure about that).
I'd also like to have a better tutorial on building bases. Right now, there is nothing telling you how a base is supposed to be built. I built some walls surrounding an area but ants and even larvae keep getting in. Well, that's not unlike a real house, but still. :)

Multiplayer seems a bit sketchy. :s

Also, the audio started crackling when I plugged in my headset (XO).

The first time I loaded the game I skipped through the starting logos and also had crackling audio. The next time loading the game I let the splash logos play and now the audio is fine. Maybe just a coincidence... Or maybe it was from plugging in headsets after the game was started.

The Multiplayer is a bit odd when trying to continue a game, say from after being accidentally disconnected.

hm... Might be that you can't re-join a game after being dropped. Have to start the game with everyone in the lobby.

Last edited:
Back