The future of All Digital or Digital Edition consoles *spawn*

What Next-Gen Console Edition will you buy? Drive or Driveless?

• Total voters
game pass will be included for x amount of time. If you want physical discs you'd buy a console with the physical disc. Disc is no longer default , its no longer the norm. 80% of sales are digital.
And yet 80% of people want the disk version over the DE. I myself want the disk version. It's for when I want to by physical copies of great games to keep. The rest I buy digitally on sale etc. Also there's the UHD Bluray. :)

And yet 80% of people want the disk version over the DE. I myself want the disk version. It's for when I want to by physical copies of great games to keep. The rest I buy digitally on sale etc. Also there's the UHD Bluray. :)

I think it all comes down to the price differential. For myself, even though I haven't ever owned or used a UHD BluRay or a physical media game since 2011, I would still likely buy the unit with an optical drive if price differential is under $50, for my Primary console. For secondary consoles in other rooms or locations, that's a different matter.

Although this should all likely be in it's own thread for the broader conversation.

What thread would be complete without a Poll?

It's multiple choice of 2 and everyone can see the votes, so please don't cross the streams.

I want all digital going forward. I did not buy or play 1 disc game this whole generation on any of my 3 XB1 consoles. Yeah, the Bluray drive gets used for my kids from time to time, but I may move them to a cheap standalone Bluray player if I don't keep my existing XB1 consoles.

Tommy McClain

Its easy to say something when you don't know pricing differences or storage differences.

Do you think the same amount of people would want to buy a ps5 optical that was more expensive and had less storage ?

I dunno because it wasn't asked in the poll

Its easy to say something when you don't know pricing differences or storage differences.

Do you think the same amount of people would want to buy a ps5 optical that was more expensive and had less storage ?

I dunno because it wasn't asked in the poll

You think the ps5 optical will have less storage than the DE PS5? :LOL:

I've seen three different polls asking the same question and all three have roughly the same result .. i.e. 80% said Optical version over DE.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MysticRB/community - 75k votes and 80% say optical. Hell I said optical because I want the optical version.

I think optical drive-less versions make less intrinsic sense at launch. The reason is because launch is when the prices are highest anyway, so any difference gets overwhelmed,

Realistically no Blu Ray will mean $25 on the BOM=$50 on the MSRP. If the Ps5 is 499, is 449 compelling for the DE? Not really in my mind, it's only 10% less, and you are already spending a lot, might as well get the all bells and whistles version. It makes more sense when it's the difference of getting down from 249 to 199 or the like. Well, currently. As more and more consumers go digital it will make more sense full stop.

It makes more sense as the generation goes on of course. And no harm doing it from day one really.

Sony could do something wild and heavily subsidize the DE down to 399, however that would be an artificial outside influence/strategy.

are we sure the PS5 discless edition will be cheaper? What if its more expensive or got the same price, due to higher capacity SSD?

I think optical drive-less versions make less intrinsic sense at launch. The reason is because launch is when the prices are highest anyway, so any difference gets overwhelmed,

I think you're looking at the wrong angle here. From Sony's perspective, they want more people to buy digitally because with PSN digital sales Sony take the retailer cut. Sony can take a much bigger loss on the Digital Edition in the knowledge that by removing the option for people to buy discs, they'll recoup those greater losses over the lifetime of the console. And the people who buy early are - all things being equal - the more dedicated gamers buying more games.

I'm sure Sony have looks at attach rates of early adopters for PS3, PS4 and Pro and worked out how much of a greater loss they can take on the Digital Edition to bring it to a much more appealing price compared to the UHD model. For some it will be genuinely appealing. For others, it may be worth considering.

are we sure the PS5 discless edition will be cheaper? What if its more expensive or got the same price, due to higher capacity SSD?
I would say pretty sure. If there ever is a 1.65TB version, I would expect that to come in the form of the PS5 Pro in about two years time. At this point in time, I would suggest Sony's publicity stance as stated by the new CEO Jim Ryan six months ago, would be to release the console that will have PS4 owners switching over to the PS5 as quickly as possible.

However I also seem to remember a quote a year ago where the then Sony CEO Yoshida said that the PS5 will initally "focus on hardcore gamers".

So who knows at this point. But I would suggest taking Jim Ryan's stance. One really quick way to have users change console would be to have a good price point. Another would be to have really good games at launch.

Last edited:
Did not Sony come out and say the only difference was that optical drive, between the two SKUs? So why are people babling about more SSD?

Were they only talking about feature sets? And not total differences? Of which storage size wouldnt be considered.

Were they only talking about feature sets? And not total differences? Of which storage size wouldnt be considered.

Mark Cerny said:
"We ended up with a 12 channel interface, 8 channels wouldn't be enough the resulting bandwidth we have achieved is actually five-and a-half gigabytes a second with a 12 channel interface. The most natural size that emerges for an SSD is 825 gigabytes. The key question for us was is that enough it's tempting to add more but flash certainly doesn't come cheap and we have a responsibility to our gaming audience to be cost effective with regards to what we put in the console"
It's 825Gb. Cerny says that they were tempted to add more but it's too expensive. If there was a higher tier storage option they would have mentioned it - probably led with it given XSX was already announced to have 1Tb of storage.

That was part of the All Digital Edition reveal? Or was that from his Road to PS5 talk?

Is there any typical size(s) for chips use in ssd's? Just taking 825GB and dividing it with 12 gives pretty odd 68.8GB sized chips. I assume they are not 128GB chips. That would be way bad yields and/or a ton of extra space to keep performance/durability up. Or perhaps sony is getting good deal on recycled chips :)

I’m all digital with my game purchases but I will buy the optical version.

I want to be ability to fully utilize a console’s features even if I don’t explicitly plan on using all of them.

Maybe one day somebody’s ex-girlfriend or wife will want to sell me a vast physical library of unclaimed XSX or PS5 games for $5. LOL

Last edited:
Is there any typical size(s) for chips use in ssd's? Just taking 825GB and dividing it with 12 gives pretty odd 68.8GB sized chips. I assume they are not 128GB chips. That would be way bad yields and/or a ton of extra space to keep performance/durability up. Or perhaps sony is getting good deal on recycled chips :)
Yeah that is certainly the one most curious aspect of that whole Road to PS5 reveal. It's likely that 4 channels are linked to one memory module as you can see there are 3x4 modules. This would result in 275GB.

I do agree though, that was odd and I think everyone picked up on it. I think the reason why it was never made into a big deal was that the speed was 5.5GBps. But I do remember many questions on why only 825GB. Maybe Mark will explain it or maybe DF or some other reviewer can get some answers.

Interestly enough, the last memory isn't linked. 825/11=75

It's just a diagram though so could defintely be inacurrate.

Back