Sony Reveal Event: Future of Gaming on PS5 [2020-06-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DSoup For all the complaining up front, with that weird event where they revealed the logo, Sony has done a nice job of marketing the PS5. That UE5 event really set it off, and this reveal has been incredibly well received. I imagine they have more in store with Spiderman and launch title gameplay, and a look at the ui.

I wasn't a fan of the weird CGI intermissions, I feel like I'm the only one.
I think the goal was a sort of palate cleanser between the games. Piling up the trailers back-to-back didn't work well for the early state-of-plays, we need a few seconds to think about what we just saw. At E3 there would be a moment letting the crowd cheer a bit at the end of the trailer, someone else comes on stage, etc...

I watched the live-streaming of some game journalists and it was a nice little break that let them express something in-between each games.

I liked how most had the same structure: they present a game trailer immediately so we get an immediate impression, then they talk a bit about it, then they show more gameplay.

Last edited:
@DSoup For all the complaining up front, with that weird event where they revealed the logo, Sony has done a nice job of marketing the PS5. That UE5 event really set it off, and this reveal has been incredibly well received. I imagine they have more in store with Spiderman and launch title gameplay, and a look at the ui.

I agree. I was not among those getting impatient when Sony were sitting back letting Microsoft do a couple of months of marketing. Sony knew they had some cool stuff to show and we’re just waiting for the right time in this weird, crazy year. I think thus far they’ve done a decent job and just presented everything matter of fact. The only misstep was promoting the Mark Cerny GDC talk to the average Joe but that was three months ago.

They have some solid games that folks are excited about and they will have a lot of opportunity deep-diving into those just as they have The Last of Us 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima. Devs are super positive about PS5, those who’ve used it say DualSense reallly is impactful (though I remain skeptical) and interest in the console is sky high.

I’m just waiting for info on the size of the console, and more details on PS4 B/C so I can decide how I’ll play those games on PS5. I’m super happy with what I’ve seen. Apart from those CGI intermissions :runaway:

I still like that folks think the UE5 event was a good win for Sony even though they completely ignored it, not mentioning at all in any of the social media channels. Good job, Epic Sony. Epic had to be wondering how Sony was getting all their PR.
PR = Public Relations. What does the public know about Unreal Engine? That part was completely over their heads, but they could and would associate that video with the other part of the message that they do already know, the PS brand.

Think the UE5 really gave them a huge shot in the arm, after seeing and hearing about that (gifs, word of mouth, gaming press) people was eager to watch their show. Without UE5 it wouldn't have got as many people watching. Crazy figures.

The event itself was good enough, just low quality steam.
Had enough things that looked next gen enough, even if possible on this gen.
Rachet was obviously one of the highlights.

PR = Public Relations. What does the public know about Unreal Engine? That part was completely over their heads, but they could and would associate that video with the other part of the message that they do already know, the PS brand.
I don't follow? From Epic's point, everybody not Epic is the public, including devs.

I don't follow? From Epic's point, everybody not Epic is the public, including devs.
In putting out the video with PS5 slapped on it, the public, who knows nothing about this Unrealz Enjin thing, is obviously going to talk about that video in terms of PS5. So "Epic had to be wondering how Sony was getting all their PR." - it's nothing to wonder about at all. I'd be shocked and surprised if the general public got talking en masse about a game engine. ;)

In putting out the video with PS5 slapped on it, the public, who knows nothing about this Unrealz Enjin thing, is obviously going to talk about that video in terms of PS5. So "Epic had to be wondering how Sony was getting all their PR." - it's nothing to wonder about at all. I'd be shocked and surprised if the general public got talking en masse about a game engine. ;)

Sure, but if you watch the video again. They mention the PS5 a few times but this is not a PS5 presentation. They are showing off the advanced features of UE5. I think mentioning the PS5 was a mistake on Epic's part, they should have just said this is running on a next generation console and left it at that. "Which console, Tim?". "No comment. Both consoles support our new engine's full feature-set and both run it well". :yep2:

But mentioning PS5 when there was dearth of PS5 info from Sony, of course the UE5 demo became all about PS5 and not UE5.

At the same time, would it have gotten the coverage if it was just a UE engine reveal? Trailers for other updates have had views in the 100,000s. 1.1M for the UE4 reveal that's been on YT for 8 years. 13M for UE5. Epic have reached some 12 million people with the name 'Unreal Engine' who otherwise would never have heard of it, so starting some more brand awareness with these folk. They've also pushed talk of their engine to other audiences. eg. Let's say a mid-level computer animator who's never considered realtime solutions and is a gamer. Now he's thinking, "woah, what's the Unreal Engine? That's looking as good as my work and it's rendering in real time!"

I think the outcome was the very best Epic could hope for. Riding Sony's coat-tails has gotten them into the party and they can start mingling with the guests directly.

I don’t think there was much coat tail riding. Here are two companies that have shared interests and have both worked hard to improve their platforms. They can’t exist without each other, and in this case their respective work combined allowed for this to happen.

And definitely, whether marketing or just tech coming together at the right time, and publishing at a time when everyone was thirsty for news, both got way more attention this way than they would otherwise have gotten for something like this.

I don’t think there was much coat tail riding. Here are two companies that have shared interests and have both worked hard to improve their platforms. They can’t exist without each other, and in this case their respective work combined allowed for this to happen.
Sure, but in reaching the public, Epic are definitely riding Sony's PS5 coat-tails with this announcement. By associating with the PS brand, a very strong consumer brand, Epic have reached an audience 10x bigger than they would otherwise.

It was a very sensible, advantageous move for both of them.

The PC market is probably their biggest market, in special if fortnite is going to be UE5 sometime (wasn't that already confirmed?)

Sure, but if you watch the video again. They mention the PS5 a few times but this is not a PS5 presentation. They are showing off the advanced features of UE5. I think mentioning the PS5 was a mistake on Epic's part, they should have just said this is running on a next generation console and left it at that. "Which console, Tim?". "No comment. Both consoles support our new engine's full feature-set and both run it well". :yep2:

But mentioning PS5 when there was dearth of PS5 info from Sony, of course the UE5 demo became all about PS5 and not UE5.
It's not only about UE5 on itself, it was a demo about UE5 needing super fast storage management to work in the best way possible. So in order to show off the best graphics possible they naturally used the best storage management available.

The thing is by mentioning the PS5 and showing the demo, the hype went through the roof as there had been no news at that time with anything regarding the PS5. This also boded well for the UE5 engine as we know that most of the Playstation's first party developers don't use the engine, however now people who saw that video associates the UE5 and PS5 and it's games even if most of Sony's first party devs don't use the engine. Clever marketing trick that for both Epic and Sony.

Win for Epic as they got to show off their engine in a great light and likely getting new devs to sign on for it and a win for Sony as it got the hype going for the PS5 and they didn't even do anything.

How's that saying, "There is no such thing as bad publicity." or "All publicity is good publicity." Or something similar.

btw. apparently the PS5 Reveal event was watched over 80 million times. :oops:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ws-than-playstations-last-e3-and-ps4s-reveal/

The Playstation Spider-man Miles Morales video had over 11 million views in 3 days. It's still 11 million views as per today. The Playstation PS5 hardware reveal video has 24 million views. It was 22 million after 3 days. Those aren't small numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back