Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I was wondering if the disk version may support BC which would help justify an extra expense. Similar to the PS3 where we had 2 models with different features.

Cerney explicity said that the backwards compatibility is baked in for the whole gen and it being in the APU makes me doubt that the digital version doesn't have it and lots of people have the digital version of games anyways so I doubt it.

Yes, in terms of features the only difference is the UHD Media support.

So we know the BOM difference is literally just the ODD and the licensing for UHD bluray playback (which Sony still needs to pay some of it, maybe $5 or so).

If they end up with a big price gap and lose money on the DE, I wonder if it would shift the sales in that direction, or otherwise if they go for 499 and 479 to match the BOM difference, more would take the one with the drive.

I was warming up to PS5 + Lockhart combo and then Sony released abomination of desing that is PS5. So disappointed after PS4 which was absolutely on point.

Don't even know where I'll fit this thing as it looks jarring...

I was warming up to PS5 + Lockhart combo and then Sony released abomination of desing that is PS5. So disappointed after PS4 which was absolutely on point.

Don't even know where I'll fit this thing as it looks jarring...
I like it. It reminds me of a lanky sleak fast sprinter over the XBSX which has me thinking short stubby power lifter. That is the XBSX is powerful and the PS5 is fast.

The design has grown on me a lot, but I still feel the disc drive looks tacked on and the horizontal position was an afterthought. Vertical I really like it (though there's still a little too much negative space) but horizontal and viewed from a ~45 degree vertical angle it falls apart and just looks messy, like a melted set top box. Even though I find the Digital more elegant, I'll be getting the disc version cause I prefer to get games cheaper and be able to sell them, plus with the way censorship is going, physical is a must for me and all media. I can sell my UHD BD player too.

I'll be doing everything I can to keep it vertical though, even if it means buying it its own little table or stand.

Either way, I still appreciate that Sony are keeping things exciting and maintaining interesting looking consoles.

i don't mind the look, I just can't fit it vertically or horizontally unless I make a mounting bracket somewhere.

Many of those with a home theater want something that fits in their AV rack or stand with proper cooling direction, to match other pieces of equipment other game consoles, HTPC, etc.... Sony always met those requirements since the launch ps3. PS5 is kind of front-right to probably back-left out? I'll be happy if it's a bit more towards the back than the left though. Everything in my rack is proper front-to-back except the AV receiver on the top shelf.

I hope there's a couple USBs on the back too.
Hopefully a couple of USB A (3.1 or 3.2) ports and maybe a third unless the camera uses a proprietary port again. A propriety port for the camera seems a waste, if you don't buy the camera you basically have a non-standard USB port. :runaway: I hope that is a rear USB C port too. I know I'm being greed but I remember PS3 had four USB ports on the front plus a bunch of stuff I never used.

Hopefully a couple of USB A (3.1 or 3.2) ports and maybe a third unless the camera uses a proprietary port again. A propriety port for the camera seems a waste, if you don't buy the camera you basically have a non-standard USB port. :runaway: I hope that is a rear USB C port too. I know I'm being greed but I remember PS3 had four USB ports on the front plus a bunch of stuff I never used.
I really hope the camera is a standard 3.x this time, so finding an extension will be easier. Or at least have an official extension available at launch.

If I remember correctly it was a usb 3.0 transceiver which didn't implement any of the usb 2.0 fallback compatibility, or any power handshake sequence, or hub management. They might have ripped a lot of the protocol for simplicity and low latency I guess? Is that still useful today at all?

I reckon $450 for the DE and $500 for the ODDE. Each with identical bundles that increase the price by $50 for a year of PS+ and Spider-Man/Knack 3.
This delta seems to me to be the minimum amount. They could get away with a 75 dollar difference if need be. 100 difference only if they really want to drive the price of the Digital edition below where MS can go.
449.99 and 529.99 or lower with digital only and a higher price offset for the disk version.
As others have pointed out the disk version has a bit of a captive audience so there can be some advantage taken.
I cannot see a 599.99 price for the PS5 because of the PS3 connotations.

Cerney explicity said that the backwards compatibility is baked in for the whole gen and it being in the APU makes me doubt that the digital version doesn't have it and lots of people have the digital version of games anyways so I doubt it.

they already answered, only difference between the two SKUs is the disc drive and nothing else.

Yes, in terms of features the only difference is the UHD Media support.

sorry, I meant PS1 & PS2 (maybe also 3) - you’d need a disk drive

Back