Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only things that appear to be able to be downgraded is the APU and probably the disk drive, and probably a lower tower. Flash, DDR can't exactly be compromised, so I don't expect it to be more than $150 lower than the series X.

No vapor chamber. Smaller PSU. Smaller Casing. Less GDDR6. Smaller mobo size.

It all adds up.

I hope it's a different form factor than the XSX. Something that doesn't need to hook up to a TV.

Tommy McClain

It all adds up.

I think people will be surprised by MS's pricing. I believe by the end of July a lot of people will be shook... young kids still saying that ?

Last edited:
What I have heard DD , small form factor , better than xox performance , feature parity with xbox series x. Buy accessories once and use them on either system.

Last I heard it be half the price of the XSX and last i heard MS were prepared for a $400 XSX. I am not sure what the final price will be. I think if sony is $500/$600 MS may try to go in at $200/$400/$500 but we will see
DD?

It's very hard to imagine lockhart BOM is under $250. Won't $200 price be a huge loss?
And is XSX BOM $100 lower than PS5?

Last edited:
I think ... DD = Digital Downloads, or All Digital.

I think ... DD = Digital Downloads, or All Digital.
Yes Digital only console.

MS will make up any losses they take by getting a higher cut of game sales and more subscriptions. Pricing also depends on what Sony does. MS doesn't have to go as extreme in pricing if sony prices itself higher. But from what I"ve heard from all my sources July isn't about sony , July is about the industry and they want it to be a night of mic drops . They are going to come hard with the strategy they have been building up to for years and they want google , amazon , apple , sony and yes Nintendo to shaken up . So expect a series of Mic drop moments followed by the price being the key part of all this.

I don't know all that they will show in July but I've been told that they are ramping up so that their xbox , xbox 360 and xbox one releases combined pale in comparison to what they have for this generation coming up. MS knows that there are alot of phones and tablets out there and xcloud is how the are going to make the costs of so much development make fiscal sense. There are about 5 more companies they are in talks of acquiring and after hearing about WB I reached out and it sounds like they are trying to make that happen but for them it would only make sense if the purchase comes with licenses for a certain amount of time for WB properties.

MS wants be what Netflix was 6 or 7 years ago when it comes to streaming and they don't want anyone to be able to snatch it away. I've said before that Nintendo is their main competition here. No one has more well known gaming ip than Nintendo. However Nintendo can never get its head out of its ass when it comes to virtual console and online. Sony has more content than MS in terms of games but sony doesn't really have the technology and would be years behind MS building it out. So now MS is about acquiring a lot of quality content for their platform.

I was told that a goal is to have an xbox studio game out every other month by the time the ball really gets rolling. Not A or AA games but AAA games every other month so that people don't stop subscribing.

That's why I think Lockheart is a key device in their strategy. Its low cost gateway that they can control to make sure the hardware can handle their new compression techniques they will employee with xcloud over the next few years. The plan for Lockheart is to get into price categories they were never able to hit before and I believe based on listening between the lines that they expect lockheart to at some point make it down to fire tv size . Also the size of the first lockheart will surprise everyone.

Last I heard it be half the price of the XSX and last i heard MS were prepared for a $400 XSX. I am not sure what the final price will be. I think if sony is $500/$600 MS may try to go in at $200/$400/$500 but we will see
This makes no sense. If XBSXS is as fast as XBOX and half the price, why keep the One X around?

It all adds up.

Vapor chamber isn't expensive. at most 10 USD
Smaller PSU means probably below 5 USD, as the wattage won't really vary that much.
Smaller casing is in the range of below 5 USD (less materials)
Less GDDR6? you must be smoking weed to think they're going to let devs develop for 16 GB RAM AND something like 8 GB ram.

So no, a significant cost down in any area other than the APU is hard to materialize.

Vapor chamber isn't expensive. at most 10 USD
Smaller PSU means probably below 5 USD, as the wattage won't really vary that much.
Smaller casing is in the range of below 5 USD (less materials)
Less GDDR6? you must be smoking weed to think they're going to let devs develop for 16 GB RAM AND something like 8 GB ram.

So no, a significant cost down in any area other than the APU is hard to materialize.

The rumours suggested 12GB. That doesn't sound too bad given the lower resolution output?

It would help with the motherboard size. You can lop off a whole row of chips.

The rumours suggested 12GB. That doesn't sound too bad given the lower resolution output?

It would help with the motherboard size. You can lop off a whole row of chips.

Probably not.
That suggests 12 chips of 1GB each, instead of 4 chips of 2GB and 8 chips of 1GB of the series X.
Still 12 chips.

What does that make lockheart? Wouldn't that just be a RDNA 2.0 + Zen 2 core XB1X?
Really bad idea.

Probably not.
That suggests 12 chips of 1GB each, instead of 4 chips of 2GB and 8 chips of 1GB of the series X.
Still 12 chips.

What does that make lockheart? Wouldn't that just be a RDNA 2.0 + Zen 2 core XB1X?
Really bad idea.

6 2Gb chips would work, wouldn't it?

I wonder how gimped ray tracing may end up being though.

There are AMD patents with Intersection Tests being done in the TMUs. It's fairly safe assumption that applies to console GPUs as well.

So now part of it depends on how they target the ~6 TF. There were credible leaks talking about a chip around half the size of Series X (~200 vs ~380). From that, I believe it's safe to assume they cut the GPU portion in half and not by lower clock speeds.

So did they cut the TMUs in half as well?

If they did and RT is 1/2 performance, is it still enough when targeting 1/4th the resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back