Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn’t it be priced like Xb1 S and X or PS4 and Pro, $300 and $400? Even the SAD is $250. $200 seems impossibly low, like Xb1X clearance prices.
Well if Lockhart is the 1080P version that is kind of like the PC you may already have so they may need to bring the price down to draw folks who are only a new GPU card away from Lockhart-type performance.

There have been so many deals on OneX bundles where it almost seems like the normal price is $299, so the XSAD should be $200 or less. I wouldn't have thought they'd have so many OneX still around.

There have been a few rumors around Lockhart and performance increases, but I couldn't see then extending so far to hit 6TF RDNA2 without a new soc being made.

Well if Lockhart is the 1080P version that is kind of like the PC you may already have so they may need to bring the price down to draw folks who are only a new GPU card away from Lockhart-type performance.
Apart from everything else that makes people choose a console to play on.
That argument is made all the time, will also be made for xsx once next gen graphics cards are out.

Lockhart is a console, whether it gets released or not is another matter. I suspect it will personally.
It's in the profile for dev kit, and littered around the same places as Anaconda where you would expect it to be.
There have been a few rumors around Lockhart and performance increases, but I couldn't see then extending so far to hit 6TF RDNA2 without a new soc being made.
I've not seen any of those rumors.
If there's an up clock i expect it to be well under 1Ghz, more like 500Mhz. At that resolution that equates to a reasonable bump in performance.

Apart from everything else that makes people choose a console to play on.
That argument is made all the time, will also be made for xsx once next gen graphics cards are out.

Lockhart is a console, whether it gets released or not is another matter. I suspect it will personally.
It's in the profile for dev kit, and littered around the same places as Anaconda where you would expect it to be.

I've not seen any of those rumors.
If there's an up clock i expect it to be well under 1Ghz, more like 500Mhz. At that resolution that equates to a reasonable bump in performance.

Same cpu speed , same I/O performance , slightly less ram but all one speed and half the tflops. Priced at $200 or $250 then it could sell very well vs a $400 xbox series x

Same cpu speed , same I/O performance , slightly less ram but all one speed and half the tflops. Priced at $200 or $250 then it could sell very well vs a $400 xbox series x
Unless you've heard differently its a third the tflops. Third the tflops at a quarter the resolution
I expect that at around $350 it will sell well, but then I'm expecting xsx to be around $500 also.

when
Unless you've heard differently its a third the tflops. Third the tflops at a quarter the resolution
I expect that at around $350 it will sell well, but then I'm expecting xsx to be around $500 also.

I heard 5-6tflops . I am assuming MS will want to get as close to 6tflops as possible to make the difference between the ps5 and lock heart closer. I was told it depends on clocks as lock heart is behind scarlet. I also heart lockheart is early next year , maybe march to april time frame. They are also targeting half the price of xsx
one goal I heard is they want it to run all games better than xbox one x to make it a clear upgrade path over the older systems

Last edited:
when

I heard 5-6tflops . I am assuming MS will want to get as close to 6tflops as possible to make the difference between the ps5 and lock heart closer. I was told it depends on clocks as lock heart is behind scarlet. I also heart lockheart is early next year , maybe march to april time frame. They are also targeting half the price of xsx
one goal I heard is they want it to run all games better than xbox one x to make it a clear upgrade path over the older systems
Even at 4.5TF it would run all games better than 1X (4TF probably same, but may loose out on the odd title possibly) . I see 5TF being the top end of the scale.
Close to PS5 is a crazy goal in my eyes. For the people who will be buying it, it won't matter if its closer to PS5 or not.
Obviously faster you can make it with no impact on price the better, but that sounds like a distinctly expensive console.
At that point its not worth making it. Better to just go the DD route with no spec change.

Eh.... you'd want bandwidth to scale up assuming any of what you bad people are talking about is happening. The thing needs to be as low cost as possible.

Putting it another way, if MS can make a console close to PS5's 'power'* for far less money, they totally win the Hardware Engineering Championship!

* What's rendered on screen, irrespective of paper numbers.

Putting it another way, if MS can make a console close to PS5's 'power'* for far less money, they totally win the Hardware Engineering Championship!

* What's rendered on screen, irrespective of paper numbers.
I expect the PS5 and xsx to be same price.
So it's xsx that's competing with the PS5.

I was hoping it got bump up from 4TF, but for every Mhz, there's a cost in cooling, power delivery, die costs etc.
So if they can bump up from 4 and before any of those are affected I'd be as happy as anyone else.
But for entry device, price is even more important than the higher end models.

It will look and perform great at around and under 1200p

336GB/s not enough bandwidth for a 6tflop apu ?
Well, I don't know anything about the thing, but I was assuming they originally designed the APU for 4TF and had a bandwidth that corresponded to that lower cost design. Changing the design from there is a little more difficult short of increasing the speed of the RAM, which again increases costs.

Well, I don't know anything about the thing, but I was assuming they originally designed the APU for 4TF and had a bandwidth that corresponded to that lower cost design. Changing the design from there is a little more difficult short of increasing the speed of the RAM, which again increases costs.

I don't think 4TF was ever the target , I always heard a higher performance rating. But I could be wrong

Don't expect Lockhart to be anything other than cheap.

What I have heard DD , small form factor , better than xox performance , feature parity with xbox series x. Buy accessories once and use them on either system.

Do you mean they want half the xsx price?

Xsx price $299 or even less??

Last I heard it be half the price of the XSX and last i heard MS were prepared for a $400 XSX. I am not sure what the final price will be. I think if sony is $500/$600 MS may try to go in at $200/$400/$500 but we will see

Ahhh. Unlikely. Chip might be cheap but storage and memory are costly. I have major doubts they can hit either of those price points without a subsidy

I don't think 400 for XSX is possible without MS taking a loss. And if this lesser console is going to be half the price, thus 200, then MS possibly will take an even bigger hit for that lesser console vs XSX because I don't think you can't make a console with half the BOM of XSX with simply downgrading the SOC. You need to remove a lot more stuff to make it half of XSX cost. The only thing I can think of if MS indeed want to price it half of XSX is that they actually sell the XSX at a higher price. For example, they sell XSX with a bit of premium at 600 and sell this lesser console at 300. Either that or MS is willing to sell at a loss for both consoles

Only things that appear to be able to be downgraded is the APU and probably the disk drive, and probably a lower tower. Flash, DDR can't exactly be compromised, so I don't expect it to be more than $150 lower than the series X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back