Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I think in that case, you'd have a better case for when the Heron dives into the water, than when Aloy dives into the water. These are cut scenes though, so depending on how swimming works for HZD, I can't say for sure. I cited R&C because that was the worst case for any streaming VT system, so it's highly reliant on just the brute speed of SSD. As long as the camera isn't going crazy, neither should your SSD.
Sure looks real pretty though.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaRLBXLXsAEoc43?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

All those bubbles must count for something.

Anyone else think the solar paneled birds look awesome?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaRLEqPXYAsuE8d?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Last edited:
I do hope this time armound foliage and vegetation will be interactive as the characters and surrouding interact with it as i seem to notice the absent of interaction in the trailer. I wish tall grass as not so static in HZD.

?? I certainly see moving grass, flowers etc.

?? I certainly see moving grass, flowers etc.

I mean during gameplay. yes it does move. But I meant when characters or creatures walk on grass or stunble upon branches or plants for example I would' ve love it to bend physically. Which was something absent from HZD. in the trailers when you see the crouched characters in front of the Mamouth the grass just stays static.

like Here for Example. The grass moves but doesn't interact with Aloy. She walks and clips through it.
niKU6h8.gif
Po3mcPf.gif

Source with the other amazing gifs from HZD : https://www.neogaf.com/threads/hori...nd-after-time.1347999/page-301#post-231897292

this was solved in death stranding though, and mind you, it still happens is HZD, but with only one type of plants, those where you can hide in

ghost recon breakpoint is an underrated game
it has nice foliage and wind effects on it, even on PS4, so i would not worry much about HZD2 !

ghost recon breakpoint is an underrated game
it has nice foliage and wind effects on it, even on PS4, so i would not worry much about HZD2 !

I find The Ghost Recon games very visually off putting. A lot of objects are being rendered but they all have that 360 era plastic look. The animation of the grass also looks like its running at 10 FPS.

It does. But that doesn’t mean it’s taxing their SVT system. Every single frame. A bubble can be a single texture replicated many times over.

Surely though the difference in the assets above the water and what's below could be something where the ability to move a lot of data fast would help a lot?

Just looking at the underwater assets in that clip it looks completely different to what's on land.

We obviously would have to see actual gameplay to know what's what but I have always rated Guerrilla games as one of the best technical studios Sony has and I would be very surprised if they not pushing the streaming tech unless of course it's a cross gen title.

Surely though the difference in the assets above the water and what's below could be something where the ability to move a lot of data fast would help a lot?

Just looking at the underwater assets in that clip it looks completely different to what's on land.

We obviously would have to see actual gameplay to know what's what but I have always rated Guerrilla games as one of the best technical studios Sony has and I would be very surprised if they not pushing the streaming tech unless of course it's a cross gen title.
Yea it’s the right use case, I just need to see gameplay and yea I would say that type of thing would make sense where the SSD would be pushed to load a lot of assets at once

I'm curious how much the division of the ocean factors in? Presumably, they can save some memory by using lower LoD coral models when you're on land.

Was it one of Guerrilla's devs who tweeted something about being able to use streaming tech for having little animated surfaces, such as ants crawling on the bark of a tree?

Because that's the impression I get as being the focus of streaming tech with this game: increased livelihood the closer you get. Going by the crabs and the coral.

Was it one of Guerrilla's devs who tweeted something about being able to use streaming tech for having little animated surfaces, such as ants crawling on the bark of a tree?

Thought that this was already impressive done on first HZD, they probably improve upon that with new HZD.

That's a

H2FW or HFW ;)

Haha true, i keep saying horizon zero dawn forbidden west. Naming makes sense, horizon zero dawn forbidden west would have.... sounded abit strange and long perhaps.
I think we will see more namings coming, GG has intresting ideas for the DLC/locations and possible MP. They will show more during the summer, i think.

Well, “Zero Dawn” refers to a specific ‘thing’ in the first game, so now that that’s out of the way, it’s normal that the second game has a different name.

I'm curious how much the division of the ocean factors in? Presumably, they can save some memory by using lower LoD coral models when you're on land.

Because that's the impression I get as being the focus of streaming tech with this game: increased livelihood the closer you get. Going by the crabs and the coral.

I sure hope the underwater sections are limited. I HATE underwater levels in games. I think it is probably my most hated thing in games.

I sure hope the underwater sections are limited. I HATE underwater levels in games. I think it is probably my most hated thing in games.
Me too!

What is it about them? The lack of complete control over movement? Or is it more psychological impact, like you could drown?

I always remember underwater sections in early 3D games as being awful, a whole different method of control, that control generally being slower and an overall worse control experience. Whenever I see underwater segments in games I internally groan despite the fact that most modern games do it extremely well - Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, even GTA V. In fact I struggle to recall a game with significant underwater elements that is bad. For me it's a bit of an irrational association to old, bade, dead 3D games.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the games I recall playing ... They were not horrible when underwater like Rime but that's not a major portion. It's at least not as major as Abzu but that's an entirely different experience as well.

Back