Sony Reveal Event: Future of Gaming on PS5 [2020-06-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now swinging this discussion into another direction could the slight hitching when going through the portals in Ratchet be a sign that Sony didn't over engineer there SSD and that they are going to need every bit of performance it can deliver?
This is first footages of the game. Real gameplay of the current state of the engine (probably month/s old)
Optimization is done later in the development life cycle. I'm amazed it ran so well to be honest considering what it was doing.

Is 'game footage' just gameplay or including cinematics? And does 'captured from a PS5 system' preclude playing video from the SSD? Was it captured in real-time, or running at half-speed and accelerated?

:p

Basically, we need the notification "all footage is being rendered in real time on a PS5". That way we can limit videos to video-textures rendered on a screen-filling quad...
And Shifty just had to make things so complicated :sleep:.

There was some hiccup during the portal sequences on Ratchet and some slowdown in Horizon 2. Some pop in in GT7, Ratchet, and Horizon 2.

I did say most not all :D.
But I think we will get some nice Ray tracing hybrid type techniques in the future. That so many first gen games are using it can only be a good sign for the future. Especially Ratchet also being native 4k means there's quite a lot of spare performance to be had.

Now swinging this discussion into another direction could the slight hitching when going through the portals in Ratchet be a sign that Sony didn't over engineer there SSD and that they are going to need every bit of performance it can deliver?
Early footage. And these games are far from release. Even though they are hitting challenges it’s doubtful they will shape in poor conditions.
Hitching is not a sign of SSD problems necessarily. Hitching can be caused by a variety of issues around the pipeline and usually an issue or just optimization. But I would point my finger to the CPU being put to task.

Early footage. And these games are far from release. Even though they are hitting challenges it’s doubtful they will shape in poor conditions.
Hitching is not a sign of SSD problems necessarily. Hitching can be caused by a variety of issues around the pipeline and usually an issue or just optimization. But I would point my finger to the CPU being put to task.

Isn’t Ratchet a launch title? It better be!!

It is surprising that almost all games of Sony 1st-party focus on native 4k rather than further
visual quality in lower resolution (something between 1440p~1600p).

Even rendered at native 4k Sony 1st-party games still look very good; but it also seems that PS studios think "native resolution for TV"
is still the most important and higher image quality with native resolution may look better than ultra graphical setting with lower resolution.

That's usual for early titles in a generation. They up the resolution/framerate of last-gen titles. As more techniques are developed, focus moves back to pixel quality.

And if we look at PS4's reveal/early days trailers, we can't be sure they'll all even launch, let alone launch in the first year! ;) Maybe some will come out year 5...

Could it be because the CPU is being throttled due to trying to keep the GPU clocked high? BTW, the games are not all far from release. We're less than 7 months until Christmas. You would think the launch titles wouldn't be using early footage.

Tommy McClain

That's usual for early titles in a generation. They up the resolution/framerate of last-gen titles. As more techniques are developed, focus moves back to pixel quality.
I mean they boost resolution so much.

Two years ago DF had an article "Why next-gen consoles shouldn't focus on 'true 4K'".
Basically DF thinks 4x resolution boost is too much compared to previous generation.

The release of UE5 demo @1440p further strengthen the idea of "Graphical fidelity first".

However PlayStation Studios target native 4k for almost all games. The vision of Sony
is still "TV native resolution first".

Could it be because the CPU is being throttled due to trying to keep the GPU clocked high? BTW, the games are not all far from release. We're less than 7 months until Christmas. You would think the launch titles wouldn't be using early footage.

Maybe the CPU/GPU are load balancing, and things aren't ironed out yet. They probably will before release as you can't release a game with so much stutter nowadays. It atleast goes to show they still can't get full performance without hitches even though we have new I/O systems in those next gen consoles.

I don’t think we have any confirmation of any games being cross gen either.

Surprisingly many where PC also. Would have thought none of them would actually appear on anything else then PS5, atleast not on the first showcase.

The release of UE5 demo @1440p further strengthen the idea of "Graphical fidelity first".

A title with the fidelity of UE5 tech demo at native 4k in an actual game seems way to much to ask, even for full playable games. I mean UE5 tech demo was totally void of any NPC's, actual game logic etc. It's a tech demo for a reason, an on-rail experience in optimal circumstances to achieve the best looking/impressing scenes.

However PlayStation Studios target native 4k for almost all games. The vision of Sony is still "TV native resolution first".

Nah, developers know true 4K is a humongous waste of resources if graphics fidelity is a priority.
I'm guessing the games rendering in full 4K in the 30FPS trailers are done so because the devs are still undecided on final resolution + upscaling method, and when they only need to render at e.g. 1800p they'll be able to increase detail or framerate.

Also they likely threw their game with its current pixel-complexity at the console and found it was capable enough to run it at 4K. Next time, they may up the pixel-complexity and choose a lower res to power it.
indeed, they've not much time with the hardware. When you keep loading up what can be done into the frames it takes a lot of work to remove stuff and introduce bugs if you're not getting the performance you want. If you've got room you can easily scale resolution for the time being. You'll take these learnings and either push it into the final release or for your next title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back