Kena: Bridge of Spirits [PS4 LTE, PS5 LTE, PC]

This caught my eye as well, but will have to see how game play handles and how long of a campaign it has.

Yeah, this one stood out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the art direction of this one. Caughtmy attention.

Yeah, with so many developers trying so many things it must be really hard to come up with a design and visual aesthetic that stands out. And this game really does. And although we didn't see much gameplay, it did look like it might be quite interesting. I always fee a bit burned by The Order 1886 (which I never played) and The Tomorrow Children (also never played). They both looked great and intriguing but neither game actually appealed to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to add PS4 to the thread title. Wonder if it will just drop to a very low resolution on PS4. Looking very soft wouldn't be too bad for the art style.

Again, it's so hard to figure out which part of the trailer were CGI, which were realtime (apart from the obvious gameplay bits). This is going to be a recurring issue, isn't it. Good issue to have nonetheless.

I don't think any was CGI. I think the cutscenes were real-time. They aren't that complex and just have superb execution of existing techniques, targeting a GPU capable of running them. The game is Unreal Engine (like so many!) and I think it's a case of seeing what a 9+ TF GPU with UE4 can achieve when not limiting itself to cross-gen (although we'll see what lower spec'd PCs achieve with the same).

Again, it's so hard to figure out which part of the trailer were CGI, which were realtime (apart from the obvious gameplay bits). This is going to be a recurring issue, isn't it. Good issue to have nonetheless.

Much of what was shown in general felt less straight forward "gameplay" and felt more "gameplay cinematics" because each segment of play was 3 seconds or less spliced together. It's like an ADHD gameplay showcase. I understand why they do it, they're trying to show gameplay variety for the game, so instead of showing 1 or 2 longer segments they show 10 to 20 different segments spliced together.

I don't think any was CGI. I think the cutscenes were real-time. They aren't that complex and just have superb execution of existing techniques, targeting a GPU capable of running them. The game is Unreal Engine (like so many!) and I think it's a case of seeing what a 9+ TF GPU with UE4 can achieve when not limiting itself to cross-gen (although we'll see what lower spec'd PCs achieve with the same).
I think what does it is the lens effects, bokeh and all that. And the general direction. It looks more 'CGI' than Horizon, for example. But maybe it's because I know that Horizon isn't CGI? Oh I don't know.

I think what does it is the lens effects, bokeh and all that. And the general direction. It looks more 'CGI' than Horizon, for example. But maybe it's because I know that Horizon isn't CGI? Oh I don't know.
If you don’t try to make unreal do something outside of what it’s good at; UE can be extremely capable out of the box.

I think what does it is the lens effects, bokeh and all that.
Yep. Nice lighting and camera affects and photo-like camera angles is all it takes these days. If you look closely at the cinematics, they are missing some quality aspects you'd expect of HQ offline rendering, though consistent with something like cheaper TV animation. Which itself will likely become realtime rendered, etiher through game engines like UE5 being used, or tools like Blender with their new realtime modes.

outputa042df9f248dd6de.gif

4H4NqNm.gif

a3axR0i.gif

TS7P6vN.gif

Back