Sony PS5 NVME Expansion Options?

manux

Veteran
One of the first to be ps5 compatible nvme ssd's sighted? This looks very nice. I wonder how Cheap it is going to be!?

The new PCIe 4.0 SSD from Samsung is rated to offer read and write speeds of up to 6500 MB/s and 5000 MB/s, respectively, which is notably faster than the PCIe 4.0 SSDs available on the market today. This is in part due to more advanced controller technology, allowing the SSD to leverage the full bandwidth which four lanes of PCIe 4.0 have to offer.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rumor-samsung-pcie-4-980-pro-ssd-to-launch-by-end-of-summer

The "up to" is always nice, but real world performance in gaming situation, we'll see... Sony will kind of certify good enough ssds, right ?

They don't mention form factor or Sony PS5 Certification. But it's just a rumor of releasing somewhere in the next two months.

The "up to" is always nice, but real world performance in gaming situation, we'll see... Sony will kind of certify good enough ssds, right ?

Sony will test the ssd's for fit and performance. Cerny promised to release a list of compatible ssd's once sony has been able to do the testing. Releasing list of compatible ssd's will likely happen sometime after ps5 release.

There are two factors will matter, 1) is it fast enough, 2) will actually fit in the bay Sony has designed. Unlike 3.5" and 2.5" HDD drives, there is no standard form factor for SSDs. Even 2.5" HDD drives come in different heights, from 9mm up to I think 13mm. If I remember correctly, PS4/Pro can only accommodate a 2.5" drive with a maximum height of 9.5mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like in the future, you can replace the internal drive (matching strict performance criteria), and attach an external one (HDD or SSD) for regular storage/archiving.

It sounds like in the future, you can replace the internal drive (matching strict performance criteria), and attach an external one (HDD or SSD) for regular storage/archiving.
It's not replaced, the nvme slot is an expansion to the internal drive. They did say we can install and play ps4 games from any external HDD, so I suppose they would also allow this for swapping to/from the internal drive(s) for ps5 games, but they didn't say it explicitly.

There are two factors will matter, 1) is it fast enough, 2) will actually fit in the bay Sony has designed. Unlike 3.5" and 2.5" HDD drives, there is no standard form factor for SSDs. Even 2.5" HDD drives come in different heights, from 9mm up to I think 13mm. If I remember correctly, PS4/Pro can only accommodate a 2.5" drive with a maximum height of 9.5mm.
I noticed most name brands don't have a heatsink, you usually use the one that comes with the motherboard or the external enclosure, or an aftermarket one (or none if you have enough airflow there). So I wonder how universal they might be able to do a heatsink that just comes with the console, and if you buy a model with one, you just remove it and put the standard one?

Last edited:
Sony will test the ssd's for fit and performance. Cerny promised to release a list of compatible ssd's once sony has been able to do the testing. Releasing list of compatible ssd's will likely happen sometime after ps5 release.
Don't be surprised if they charge companies a certification fee and limit drives to officially endorsed ones. We might get non-certified SSDs that'll still work once various gaming sites give a variety of SSDs a try.

is there a secondary bay or will this just repalce the 800 gig inside already
Could be either. A second drive solves the issue of needing an OS install or drive transfer, but then Sony will need a second channel and tracks on the mobo.

It's not replaced, it's an expansion of the internal drive. They did say we can install and play ps4 games from any external HDD, so I suppose they would also allow this for swapping to/from the internal drive(s) for ps5 games, but they didn't say it explicitly.
If it works like an external drive, performance characteristics won't matter. Performance only requires certification if the SSD is going to be used live like the system one, which may point to it being a replacement.

It's not replaced, the nvme slot is an expansion to the internal drive. They did say we can install and play ps4 games from any external HDD, so I suppose they would also allow this for swapping to/from the internal drive(s) for ps5 games, but they didn't say it explicitly.

Internal NVMe expansion would be splendid :love: I wasn’t sure if I should believe it just yet. Do you have a link ?

From my understanding, although Cerny didn't mention about it, I feel that there will be an empty M.2 slot on PS5. If you want an optimal performance for running PS5 games on it, it is better to wait for Sony to test the available drive and see whether it will reach the same speed on real world games as PS5 internal SSD. Sony has a custom controller for their SSD that is tailored for what they need like having 6 priority level vs 2 in the current NVME spec.
Basically I don't think the built-in SSD is removable (or at least not accessible) as a way to guarantee a certain level of performance for PS5 games. I imagine if someone plug a slow SSD and that someone run a game from it, if he encounter a lower than expected performance, then PS5 will have an option to move the game to the built-in SSD.

Edit: basically from road to PS5 video we know that you can put a standard M.2 drive on PS5. If PS5 SSD upgrade require you to move the current drive then they can't guarantee that every PS5 will have the necessary SSD speed since not everyone knows that SSD have different speed (yes, some people just know that SSD is faster than HDD), thus there'll be someone trying to upgrade PS5 storage by buying the biggest cheap SSD. This is why I think the SSD upgrade will not replace the built-in SSD.

Last edited:
Internal NVMe expansion would be splendid :love: I wasn’t sure if I should believe it just yet. Do you have a link ?

Road To Ps5 @ 20:06

@20:06

One does not simply... paraphrase Mark Cerny. So...

"Expandability of our SSD is going to be quite important. Flash is costly, and you may very well want to add storage to whatever we put in the console. Now the kind of storage you need depends on how you're going to use it. If you have an extensive PS4 library and you'd like to take advantage of BC, to play those games on PS5, then a large external hard drive is ideal, you can leave your games on the hard drive and play them directly from there, thus saving the pricier SSD for your PS5 titles, or you can copy your active PS4 titles to the SSD. If your purpose in adding more storage is to play PS5 titles, you would add to your SSD storage. We will be supporting certain M.2 SSDs. These are internal that you can get on the open market, and install in a bay in the PS5."

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing that can make me (and others) question about it is that whether add and expanding the storage = adding new storage. In laptop, you can add or expand storage by replacing the internal HDD (or SSD) with a bigger one. Having said that, I do believe what Cerny meant in that presentation is that you can add SSD without removing the one came with the PS5.

add:
/ad/
join (something) to something else so as to increase the size, number, or amount.

Mark Cerny:
add storage to whatever we put in the console
adding more storage
add to your SSD storage

Last edited:
well hey I think we will know soon , we gotta have a price and all the specs by launch day which is what 4 or 5 months away lol

Don't be surprised if they charge companies a certification fee and limit drives to officially endorsed ones. We might get non-certified SSDs that'll still work once various gaming sites give a variety of SSDs a try.

I would be surprised if Sony took this stance, this doesn't seem to be a good use of their time and effort - even for a nominal fee.

I think it more likely Sony will provide a feature to test/certify that any inserted SSD is sufficiently performant before the system can use it and any SSD builder/seller can test their own devices in any PS5 and advertise them as suitable if not. Leave the existing advertising regulation to sort it out. I can't recall Sony do any kind of certification of external peripherals before and I think this would be a weird time to start. It would put a premium on 'certified' SSDs.

The one thing that can make me (and others) question about it is that whether add and expanding the storage = adding new storage. In laptop, you can add or expand storage by replacing the internal HDD (or SSD) with a bigger one. Having said that, I do believe what Cerny meant in that presentation is that you can add SSD without removing the one came with the PS5.
I was under the impression that the SSD already in the PS5 is soldered on (like *some* Macbooks), you can't just remove it. But you can add to it, as above.

I was under the impression that the SSD already in the PS5 is soldered on, you can't just remove it. But you can add to it, as above.
i can never see a situation where someone sold a PS5 and removed the hard drive that was in there screwing over the next purchaser. Or swapped them a drive that didn't work. That would just be a massive headache for everyone including Sony.

Exactly. The flash chips are on the motherboard, and we get a little hole in the back to add whatever SSD will fit and work with it.

Back