Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both consoles I may need to mount my TV off the TV stand, or have the console behind the TV in order for me to find a place for it. XSX perhaps a touch too thick lying down, and PS5 much too long.

sigh. legitimately curious how this gen will play out lol.

Both consoles I may need to mount my TV off the TV stand, or have the console behind the TV in order for me to find a place for it. XSX perhaps a touch too thick lying down, and PS5 much too long.

sigh. legitimately curious how this gen will play out lol.

Put the XSX on a 8" square floating shelf off to the side of your wall-mounted TV. Done. No need for a cabinet.

Tommy McClain

Put the XSX on a 8" square floating shelf off to the side of your wall-mounted TV. Done. No need for a cabinet.

Tommy McClain
that's a fairly good idea, I'll have to think it through, I'm a little tight for space on walls, I have bulkheads and stuff all over the place, but I'll consider this for sure.

From recent news and reports, many PS5 games of third parties already reach native 4K.

Do we have any comparison between cross-platform next-gen game? Since some expect xsx will lead in resolution or performance by a significant margin we may find a lot of difference .

From recent news and reports, many PS5 games of third parties already reach native 4K.

Do we have any comparison between cross-platform next-gen game? Since some expect xsx will lead in resolution or performance by a significant margin we may find a lot of difference .
no, I expect it to be parity largely, maybe a 120 Hz mode for xbox but sub 4K. The first year is full of games architected for this generation and moving into the next. They won't develop the technologies that will push the hardware to its limits until perhaps their second title?

Also worth pointing out that:
Sony on PS5 Fan Noise: 'A Great Deal of Effort' Has Gone into Making PS5 Quieter than PS4
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...ort_has_gone_into_making_ps5_quieter_than_ps4

Not 'silent', or even just 'quiet'. Simply 'quieter than PS4' which could mean anything from 'completely silent' to 'not-quite-jet-engine-loud-but-almost'.

Well only silent consoles we have are old consoles with zero moving (and whining) components like nes, snes, n64.

Even nintendo switch is easily audible when gaming on docked mode from 2-3m away, and it is not noisy. But silent? nope.

Silent term should only be used with literally silent consoles that output close to 0 dB or at least max 20 dB from 50cm away etc.

(Anybody whom claims their console is silent is lying, deaf or have something louder than console running in the room like air condition, which nobody I know have. And sound from speakers wont help when almost all games have moments with not much of audio = fan is audible. Same with headphones, maybe noise cancelation would make them silent but normal ones let too much trough)

But anyway, I REALLY hope that PS5 is closer to quiet than vacuum cleaner powered aircraft. I have had 2-3 OG units + 2 pro units and also listened to maybe total of 15-25 units on friends / relatives houses and none have been close to be called quiet. Worst I have had and heard have been audible from 7-10m away trough one closed door.

I basically got traumatized by by launch unit which screamed so much that it took enjoyment from gaming away.

(Just wanted to point out that Sony just could not claim that they aim to "silent" when it is almost impossible with moving parts. And noise is also subjective experience, to some console is silent when same console is noisy to others.)

Even bluray/dvd players that have only disc drive can be noisy enough to distract some people, while they are probably outputting 20-30dB @1m

As long as it's quieter than my Pro's loudest 1 or 2 settings, I don't really mind. Less fan noise is always preferable, but it's only at the extremes that it's really distracting.

Some games are nigh unplayable when the Pro's fan goes full blast. It's enough to sound like I'm doing the machine some damage by continuing to play.

As I noted perhaps in another thread, just working out the wattage required, it's fairly significant.
To put it into perspective, the power required to get the same PS5 chip running to 1825 Mhz -- you need to double that amount to get it to 2230 Mhz.
Or to put into another perspective, it has the same power envelope as a 72 CU PS5 SOC at 1825 Mhz -- 17 TF of power.

A different set of challenges would come with that however; everything else needs to be bandwidth would need to double, so looking at a solution like HBM to support it. The die size would be about 400~440mm^2. Way out of price point.

Last edited:
As long as it's quieter than my Pro's loudest 1 or 2 settings, I don't really mind. Less fan noise is always preferable, but it's only at the extremes that it's really distracting.

Some games are nigh unplayable when the Pro's fan goes full blast. It's enough to sound like I'm doing the machine some damage by continuing to play.

Taking it apart and cleaning it helps a great deal.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but has anyone found evidence of VRS or claims from the devs in any of the footage shown from both Sony and MS so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back