Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I don't understand how the stand that's currently being shown for when it's in vertical position work when it's horizontal? Where does it fit? This thing looks so big it might not fit vertically where i have my Pro now, although I think it would look better like that. Also, I wonder how they deal with wall mounting - my partner's Pro is wall mounted and it's pretty cool.

I don't understand how the stand that's currently being shown for when it's in vertical position work when it's horizontal? Where does it fit? This thing looks so big it might not fit vertically where i have my Pro now, although I think it would look better like that. Also, I wonder how they deal with wall mounting - my partner's Pro is wall mounted and it's pretty cool.
The circle will be cut across with a curved shape that'll fit the curved surface when horizontal, and have a groove cut into that for when its vertical.

With the PS5's (external) design somewhat revealed, let's speculate about how it might be constructed INSIDE, i.e. what kind of cooling solution and airflow SONY applies.

For what it is worth, the design seems to lend itself VERY much to an application of the (through-PCB) cooling patent that was published some time ago. This way, they could actually use two heatsinks (one at each side of the main PCB) to maximise effective heat dissipation.

Here is a quick and dirty illustration of what I mean (notice that - while the XBOX Series X PULLS cool air up through the heat sink - the PS5 might very well use a fan to PUSH hot air out. Very much like the solution applied in many graphics cards - but maybe (?) improved by the use of two heatsinks that "sandwich" the main PCB):
JUVRoX.jpg

PS: I am aware that the fan would need to be designed somewhat differently, btw (I just used the first image I found and patched it in) ... but you get the gist.

This is great but I think the wrong way around. Of course this makes logical sense, however with this airflow I see 2 issues;

1) that back intake will get blocked with dust very quickly and be hard to keep clean/ensure unblocked by leads or something out of sight. Also generally air is warm at the back of a cabinet

2) this will turn the PS5 into a heater pushing a lot of hot air into a room which would not be appreciated

I’m not saying you’re not right, just that I’d have the above concerns if it’s true

Or, if i usually put my controller to charge on top of it. It will tilt, no? Maybe there's a hole to screw it in but I can't see it. WHERE IS THE HOLE

Actually, inductive charging of a couple of DualSense controllers on top of the PS5 in vertical orientation would absolutely convince me to change my room setup from a small AV centre in a corner, to something larger flat against a wall - something that could accommodate an A/V received, PS5, XSX, Switch, MacMini and PSVR/2. In terms of charging the controllers, I'm glad to see that there is a docking station among the peripherals - I had to import my official Sony DS4 charging station from Canada!

This is great but I think the wrong way around. Of course this makes logical sense, however with this airflow I see 2 issues;

1) that back intake will get blocked with dust very quickly and be hard to keep clean/ensure unblocked by leads or something out of sight. Also generally air is warm at the back of a cabinet

2) this will turn the PS5 into a heater pushing a lot of hot air into a room which would not be appreciated

I’m not saying you’re not right, just that I’d have the above concerns if it’s true

Also wouldn't using two heatsinks cost more..?

Does it have an internal bay for additional SSD ?
There is an NVMe port for expanding the storage but it will need to be a very fast drive. Some sort of certification or list of compatible drives has been hinted at by Sony. Mark Cerny cautioned about investing in an extra drive for PS5 until later in the year as many will simply not be fast enough, or may not physically fit in the slot Sony has allocated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back