Sony Reveal Event: Future of Gaming on PS5 [2020-06-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should probably break away party and lobby management from the main game. That way, users can use other party systems to load game chapters/levels independently.

The other part is storage space and game matching. The party may not all have the same game (That was another PS3 PlayStation Home problem). Something like Dream kinda sidesteps the issue because it is an eclectic collection of user levels. Dream gamers gather inside Dream and hop between levels.

In the general case, they probably should investigate home 5G (the real millimeter 5G) for the coming decade. See if full games can be rented digitally and installed quickly for such party runs. It might convert rentals to sales. They can also consider breaking down big games into smaller rental chunks (multiplayer portion only) to alleviate the problem.

That pure digital PS5 unit might be rental based too, if take up rate is low. All in all, quite a few interesting things to toy with this gen. Perhaps , maybe, as interesting as the PS3 era.

I thought the game streaming concept should work well with the defunct PlayStation Home idea. Users can chill in their “PlayStation Room” or public event rooms, and form parties to join a game immediately.
I never logged into Home once but the idea of a social platform was a bit before it's time With PS5 and potentially PSVR, it could be really good if they let people do cool stuff with it.

Also, as been stated before, the All Digital edition may cost more than the base PS5 ODD, it all depends on the internal storage configuration -- 1.65 TB vs 825 GB.
The install size of digital games is the same as that of physical games.

The entry models of PS5 and PS5 digital edition should both be 825 GB.

Yeah. A social hub makes even more sense now. Seeing the popularity of Fortnite for Goofing Off, it's clearly something of value for many gamers.

Yeah that's how I saw Fortnite described, people gathering more than necessarily gaming. During the pandemic apparently they added some non-shooting elements.

Even DF thinks Horizon 2 is the most impressive of all next gen titles shown so far, can't say I disagree, the level of visual fidelity, stuffs going on per frame, the density and gpu sim are off the charts. Here's how I would rank them in terms of overall visuals from what's been shown so far.
God Tier: Horizon Forbidden West
Tier 1: Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Project Athia, Kena, Spiderman 2 Miles
Tier 2: Pragmata, Resident Evil Village, GT7, Returnal, Stray, Ghostwire
-
-
-
Trash Tier: Godfall
Let's see what MS would bring to the table come July, hopefully no more pre rendered inengine stuffs.

Pragmata looks a bit more next gen I think.
I'm sorry, but no. Just look at the horrible, HORRIBLE hair shown in the very thumbnail of the video. That girl's hair is not even that good by current gen standards: flat hair "cards" clipping through other cards, very few hair locks and sub-par collision quality. No, no, no. I'm quite shocked they showed this, actually.

upload_2020-6-13_19-54-58.jpeg

And in last gen times I thought that with current gen we could forget about these things and AA... :cry: But yeah, developers (some of them, to be fair), keep pushing the resolution higher and don't care that much about other stuff.

I'm sorry, but no. Just look at the horrible, HORRIBLE hair shown in the very thumbnail of the video. That girl's hair is not even that good by current gen standards: flat hair "cards" clipping through other cards, very few hair locks and sub-par collision quality. No, no, no. I'm quite shocked they showed this, actually.

View attachment 4080

And in last gen times I thought that with current gen we could forget about these things and AA... :cry: But yeah, developers (some of them, to be fair), keep pushing the resolution higher and don't care that much about other stuff.

Yeah but it has RT reflections so all the RT fanatics will be raving about it.

Yeah but it has RT reflections so all the RT fanatics will be raving about it.
I'm also a RT fan. RT turns me on, I can't lie. But I prefer better phyiscs simulations (proper hair and clothes, PLEASE, not the pseudo elastic cloth that I can spot in the suit of the "astronaut" character) and ZERO aliasing. I don't even care about 4K if I see razor sharp edges in the wrong places. That's why sometimes even some 1080 images may look better or more realistic to me than some higher-res contents.

Just look at the horrible, HORRIBLE hair shown in the very thumbnail of the video
I agree, the hair is horrible...
But compared to everything else, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they didn't have the time, or didn't have a hair sim ready...
Because everything else looks phenomenal.

RT >>>>> hair and details.
We had 2D games. So then we had 2D puzzles. We added another plane to make it 3D puzzles.
Light transport is more than just graphics, it can also be another type of plane for puzzles, when you look at it more than just immersion; light transport can become the puzzle for players to solve.

just like how physics are a plane for puzzles; we saw lots of little physics based puzzles in half life. There will be a day for light transport puzzles. Days were players will have to learn to manipulate mirrors, create mirror effects, pinhole experiments. Know actually where to hide instead of relying on a gauge to hide you. Puzzles that require the use of GI to enable players to see the next step.

I’ll take this over hair and polygons. Give me light transport physics!

They rendered Pragmata at native 4k on the PS5 wasn't it? Just use temporal reprojection to 4k and apply the extra power on hair physics and details etc while maintaining RT, problem solved.

just like how physics are a plane for puzzles; we saw lots of little physics based puzzles in half life. There will be a day for light transport puzzles. Days were players will have to learn to manipulate mirrors, create mirror effects, pinhole experiments. Know actually where to hide instead of relying on a gauge to hide you. Puzzles that require the use of GI to enable players to see the next step.

What if your game doesn't have puzzle's? That hair was shocking when compared to everything else. If the outcome of Ray tracing is hair like that ( I don't think it will be ) I'd rather not have Ray tracing.

They rendered Pragmata at native 4k on the PS5 wasn't it? Just use temporal reprojection to 4k and apply the extra power on hair physics and details etc while maintaining RT, problem solved.

I think that hair was more of a design limitation with no physics attached to it than anything really dependant on power. Although hair physics would take some power, we’ve seen much better hair in PS4 games. Perhaps they’ll fix it, the game doesn’t look like it’s coming out any time soon.

I think that hair was more of a design limitation with no physics attached to it than anything really dependant on power. Although hair physics would take some power, we’ve seen much better hair in PS4 games. Perhaps they’ll fix it, the game doesn’t look like it’s coming out any time soon.
I have to agree that hair looks terrible. It looks like something coming out of a PS360 title.

lERVqlE.jpg

Regardless of the end result, putting something like that on a trailer for a game that is probably far off is just a bad design / production choice IMO.
If you can't render long hair before you had the time to put optimizations in place, then cut the hair short, or put a cap on the head or whatever.

That might be unfair, to claim it's bad design or production. Perhaps they were working on a hair solution and just couldn't get it by the deadline? Which could be a result of a any number of factors outside their control.

They need to borrow that hair tech from EA/Frostbite or was it Unreal? But again I'm pretty sure this has to be a placeholder.

What if your game doesn't have puzzle's? That hair was shocking when compared to everything else. If the outcome of Ray tracing is hair like that ( I don't think it will be ) I'd rather not have Ray tracing.
Even if it doesn’t; light transport, say mine craft RTX, is dramatic. The simplest graphics with the best lighting is probably the most dramatic contrast of how important we perceive things. A game that truly nails lighting correctly has an effect over the whole world significantly more than just hair.

driveclub to this day continues to get repeated praise over and over again, just for dynamic global GI.

driveclub to this day continues to get repeated praise over and over again, just for dynamic global GI.
I would pay any money to get DC resurrected, updated, upgraded. Literally the only racing game that I actually PLAYED in recent memory. Outstanding. Come on Sony, you had a gem in your hands, bit rough round the edges, but simply in need of some love!

Really love how devs are starting to implement dynamic fluid sims in games now, you see it in titles such as Horizon 2, Project Athia, Demon's Souls, Returnal and possibly a few others. Smoke and cloud being the main ones with Horizon 2 taking it up a notch by doing water sim on top of cloud sim. Can't wait for GG's GDC slides next year for a full tech breakdown.
Fluid sim examples.
Water
https://i.ibb.co/J5fcNrN/Horizon-Forbidden-West-Announcement-Trailer-PS5.gif
https://i.lensdump.com/i/j7h3nK.gif
Cloud
Smoke
https://s7.gifyu.com/images/Untitled-767b2598c5def7eac.gif
https://66.media.tumblr.com/1f13eff...52f4292fa80e4401a0ce038e2369f42afc5711c2.gifv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back