Sony Reveal Event: Future of Gaming on PS5 [2020-06-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But those RT reflections are mainly in close-up cut scenes, not during the gameplay when there's so much going on the screen at one time?
Well i'm pretty sure the shiny floors have RT reflections, and you can clearly see it in the gameplay trailer (separate from the main trailer that was released straight after the even last night)

Hmm, isn't RT suppose to be a global thing?

You either have it for the whole screen or not. Not something they'd apply to one part of the scene but use baked in illumination for the rest?

I remember the developers of Ratchet stating RT reflections will be used in the game.
I didn't know that Insomniac stated this, and I felt looking at their floors I was seeing this.

RT is off during gameplay for GT7 however, took me a while to figure it out.
RT is on for everything else in GT7: replays, cutscenes etc.

I'll go back and check R&C. But I feel like this is something I'd rather wait for Alex to tell me, haha i'm too lazy. But what the hell.. why not. I"ll look around for something that shows it does or doesn't have it.

edit: okay. Seems to be static RT? I dunno, it's not a full solution. It doesn't update for dynamic events during gameplay.
Let's get to it:
Immediately after the teleport, if you look left to the windows in the building it fails to reflect the birds and the train coming in.

fast forward to 20s. You can see the purple portal. It should occlude all everything behind it, meaning you should not see the green light reflections from the ceiling and you should not be able to see the dinosaur walking through.

You should also see the reflection of the portal.

Following, another portal pops up to the right.
The entire time it's on, ti's dropping people. As he fights the mobs, the portal fails to reflect onto the floor they are fighting over. Making it actually appear at times, as if the portal is not even present.

None of the effects or gears are able to reflect on the ground either. The only reflected things seem to be people and buildings.

@43s. This reflection is impossible. The circle structure in the back should not be able to reflect all the way through the floors to have a complete circle. The wall in-front of it is not being reflected. There is no rail etc. It's failing to occlude and failing to reflect.

If you pause at @47, the tree fails to reflect all teh way through, infact most reflections seem cutoff.

I suppose I can keep going, but I'm wasting peoples time, but I think this is just a very good non -RT solution from first pass as of this early build.

side note, having had to watch this for some time now, I really want to play it.

Last edited:

You either have it for the whole screen or not. Not something they'd apply to one part of the scene but use baked in illumination for the rest?
I've seen a few contradicting statements about this... From what I understand, it can be used to calculate just some buffers, some objects, some passes, and there's a lot of different tricks to avoid going all brute force. I think there's a developer who said next gen lighting would be hybrid? I can't remember who?

No real reason to use RT for clean reflections on flat surfaces or windows, It's useful for GI (hybrid?), soft reflections, convex reflections on a car, or complex surfaces like water. Those seem to gain a lot from it.

I'm guessing wildly that the closer it is from plainly reprojecting textures and geometry, the more of a waste RT will be. GI is still a big question mark for me.

Yes. What I’m saying is that the gameplay trailer has a section where Ratchet is running around in some futuristic building on a very shiny and reflective floor, and that looks like RT.

they said it after the demo, here is the timestamp:

"put ray traced reflections on Clank:

Yea. But it’s broken. Not quite there yet. Wait for final results but I time stamped where it wasn’t working.

i love RT! You know I support you in seeing as much of it as possible. But this alpha build has some issues that need resolving

Last edited:
No wonder the quality was so terrible on Youtube, then. The servers probably had to downsize the bitrate to accommodate the millions of concurrent views.
I guess this is Sony being a victim of their own success.

No wonder the quality was so terrible on Youtube, then. The servers probably had to downsize the bitrate to accommodate the millions of concurrent views.
I guess this is Sony being a victim of their own success.
There is a claim this is a fake account

They claim to work for YouTube but are not blue check marked. 90% of their posts are playstation posts and there is no official info on this record.

Who knows it could have broken records but I'd wait for an official announcement from someone

I don't think so. Google offers YouTube TV that has over 2 million subscribers, where each one can have 3 different live TV streams going at once and they have no issues with bitstream quality. They had no issues with live broadcasting major sporting events like The Super Bowl or the College Football Playoffs.

It highlights how counting YT views can be a bit nebulous if they get spread out over multiple channels or not. Of course I dont expect Xbox to compete with PS for views.
E3 makes this worse because every major site - Eurogamer, IGN, Kotaku, GameSpot, GameInformer will include official Microsoft and Sony reveals sandwiched their in their own streams, plus Sony at least also dual-broadcast to YouTube and Twitch. I didn't see anybody major re-streaming Sony's Future of Gaming broadcast other than SummerGamesFest.

There has to be a better consolidated way to know how many people watched a stream. The respective marketing people will know because they actively measure engagement and counting all of the views of significant re-broadcasters is easy thanks fo YouTube's innate copyright matching algorithms.

7/10 event: They didn't show gameplay for any of their 3 big games: Spiderman, Horizon 2 and Demon's souls. The most interesting stuff they showed was gameplay of some of the others games.

Probably done on purpose. The event was to showcase a range of games, the AA and AAA games will get a lot of dedicated coverage and probably their own State of Play streams like Ghosts of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part II.

Honestly, that part of the gameplay made me cringe. I hate the moving so fast while trying to escape gameplay cliche. I hate it. Always. I hate it in Halo on Ghosts. I hate it in Gears on Bikes. So that was a big time negative for me. As a game play mechanic it's absolutely horrible.

Yeah, it's not the kind of game I'd normally play. I showed it to my boys and they were pretty excited about it...?

From a technical perspective, it's ridiculously good. Definitely an early example of making use of the SSD. I'd expect later games to use it in a more extensive manner mind you. Constant reads at peak might be something that the latest COD engine might allow for... If you've seen the recent DF video on it. Looks like it's constantly streaming from the HDD of current gen. I'd guess that could be expanded to make use of the SSDs.

Nobody fussed about the Ratchet and Clank trailer?

That was the clearest use of the full SSD speed when transitioning (or teleporting) between environments. That was one of the most impressive trailers for me.

Granted it's not constant 100% SSD usage, but it's a very solid show for the device.

Anybody saying that these trailers are not a generational leap obviously have an agenda.

The trailers are incredible.
Yep. It is the best next gen gameplay we've seen yet: displaying SSD + RT magic.

You just gave me a new dream. What if they started making Disney/Pixar games, with some Disney/Pixar story direction?

For instance a Monsters Inc game - The door concept would fit the SSD perfectly, and you could give more points (laugh energy) for the funnier ways you make a fool of yourself or rescue kids from some kind of invasion or a rival energy company that still uses the scare energy.

You just gave me a new dream. What if they started making Disney/Pixar games, with some Disney/Pixar story direction?

For instance a Monsters Inc game - The door concept would fit the SSD perfectly, and you could give more points (laugh energy) for the funnier ways you make a fool of yourself or rescue kids from some kind of invasion or a rival energy company that still uses the scare energy.

I thought the game streaming concept should work well with the defunct PlayStation Home idea. Users can chill in their “PlayStation Room” or public event rooms, and form parties to join a game immediately.

The concept didn’t work well in PS3 partly because there were too much overhead and waiting. PS5 presents another opportunity to update the idea and also establish a unique experience.

Yeah. A social hub makes even more sense now. Seeing the popularity of Fortnite for Goofing Off, it's clearly something of value for many gamers.

Dreams still needs to get the online portion finished, but the fact that all of the Dream still needs to come from a server somewhere/somehow means most of this doesn’t truly change for any kind of stuff like this ... ?

Otherwise when Dreams does start supporting online properly it could really capture that same kind of community spirit.

Meanwhile stuff like Recroom in VR shows that that is also a great platform for the same kind of community gathering. With Dreams VR being in closed beta now, it will definitely be interesting to see what it evolves into once VR and online are both supported in Dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back