Sony Reveal Event: Future of Gaming on PS5 [2020-06-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think there might be RT reflections for Ratchet and Clank. I checked around to see of there were occlusion problems, and I didn't see any. It might be very convincing non-RT reflections, or perhaps some other form of reflection creation, but it's pretty good.

The reveal already has over 10M views in less than 24H and a 90% like rate. Sony just needs to have the right price to take over the console gen. The excitement is there compared to other competitors, the XBSX reveal only has 1M views and has been up for weeks.
The xbox first party show case is in July. So you'd have to compare these two together. The Xbox one is going to be really big , some big games to talk about . Knowing some of whats coming I can say there is a comparable amount of wow moment games graphicly as we've seen with the sony one. I also believe we will get the price at the end of the confrence

Most games were not my genre but the show was well done. It had a good running time, many games, developer voices and people from Sony were seen and heard. This gave it a personal touch which is something you would not normally get from a real press conference. It wasn't just a trailer show. The game portfolio was very varied but personally I mostly only want shooter games. I found Resident Evil Village the most interesting. Pragmanta and Horizon were all right as well but why were there talking strawberries in one game?! Coming from the PC there was nothing new graphically but the advantages of a game which is purely tailored to SSD were seen right at the beginning with Ratchet & Clank. This fast changing of worlds was interesting to see.

The console looks like a router or like it's made by Alienware or Asus. Personally, I find the Xbox Series X more appealing from the looks of it. I am not a fan of white stationary hardware either. Later, there will surely be other colors and maybe even a different design.

Last edited:
Does youtube support HDR? How do we know if we're seeing HDR content on youtube?

Yes youtube supports HDR. In the past the support in devices has been somewhat poor though. Samsung TVs got the support pretty early on, but now many others have it as well. Did you have LG C9?, if so, it is supported by the built in app of that TV. You might have to select the best settings in youtube app to get 4k HDR.

I have troubles getting the same quality with the PC connected to my TV as the built in app, which gives very good picture quality and HDR on my set.

Yes youtube supports HDR. In the past the support in devices has been somewhat poor though. Samsung TVs got the support pretty early on, but now many others have it as well. Did you have LG C9?, if so, it is supported by the built in app of that TV. You might have to select the best settings in youtube app to get 4k HDR.

I have troubles getting the same quality with the PC connected to my TV as the built in app, which gives very good picture quality and HDR on my set.
LG B7 =( I will check it out though.

A bit of internet enabled history - it really is an incredible tool to ground our understanding as our past is there for us to look up...

PS4 trailer...

37M views, 225k likes, 9.7k dislikes

Games look kinda ropey there. Real games were far better than these launch titles in the main.

Contrast with PS5, 11M views so far, 453K likes, 41k dislikes. far higher like ratio, and far higher dislike ratio. But mostly, think how much better the games will be than these launch trailers. ;)

Although it really would have been nice to see something notably next-gen, like terrain deformation.

Of course the 37m views had years of time to rack up though.

Since everybody was talking about the views I looked up the XSX reveal for 5 seconds. The MS published one had ~12m views, and is 6 months old (!). However Austin Evans (tech youtuber) did a XSX reveal vid at the same date that also racked up 12 million views (there doesn't appear to be a separate PS5 reveal vid getting heavy volume). It highlights how counting YT views can be a bit nebulous if they get spread out over multiple channels or not. Of course I dont expect Xbox to compete with PS for views.

Or 16 hours vs 2,669 days! :runaway:

It'll boost it a bit sure, but how many people are really watching it again after the console launched? :D A few certainly but likely not more than a million after the console launched, IMO.

I'm not sure anything will be able to garner as much views as E3 reveals and conferences again as that pulled in a lot more than just core gamers and particularly enthusiastic casual gamers.

Hell, I wouldn't have even watched the PS5 event yesterday if one of the Twitch Streamers that I watch didn't host it on his channel. I'd completely forgotten about it. I'm quite likely to forget about the July Xbox event as well unless a streamer I watch hosts it.

I know at least one of them will host the PC gaming event this weekend, so I shouldn't miss that one. That's the one I'm REALLY interested in. :D

This is all compared to E3, where I would ensure I had time for a few days worth of reveals and conferences. Not because it was E3 which was irrelevant. Solely because it was so much concentrated information in a short amount of time that it was time efficient to set aside time for it.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Another interesting thing about views is to gauge which franchises people are liking. Based on current youtube views

Spiderman is clear #1 with 4.8M views
Horizon is clear #2 with 2.9M views
Collective #3 with views between 1-1.5M is gtav, gt7, r&c, demon souls, nba2k21, project athia
Rest is under million or way under million.
Hardware reveal trailer has 10M views setting the bar? Half of the viewers are interested in spiderman(optimistic?/pessimistic?)

Spiderman coming for this holiday is a big, big deal. Most viewed game and also one of the games that is coming soon. System mover? I'm surprised horizon is not the #1 in this list.

I wonder if there is any way for mere mortals to split the views into territories or if only sony/google can do that?

I wonder if there is any way for mere mortals to split the views into territories or if only sony/google can do that?

depends on what you’d want to know. There are different ways to bucket the viewers. But meta data like where they quit. Did they stay to the end. Etc. Are available data points. Geography is super easy to do but only the content owners will be provided that information. Or whoever owns the google tracker id

depends on what you’d want to know. There are different ways to bucket the viewers. But meta data like where they quit. Did they stay to the end. Etc. Are available data points. Geography is super easy to do but only the content owners will be provided that information. Or whoever owns the google tracker id

I was curious of where horizon and spiderman views come from. If I remember right the gap between horizon/spiderman youtube views was much larger yesterday. Wondering if spiderman is more of a US thing and horizon rest of the world. Horizon caught up significantly on views when folks in US were sleeping.

I was curious of where horizon and spiderman views come from. If I remember right the gap between horizon/spiderman youtube views was much larger yesterday. Wondering if spiderman is more of a US thing and horizon rest of the world. Horizon caught up significantly on views when folks in US were sleeping.
yea that information is definitely available, but not for public use, Sony will have it. What some companies do is to rehost the video with their own trackers and see if they can option a sample of what Sony is getting.

And the issue was with the playback. Not the youtube source.
edit: and I solved it. Youtube Playback on X1X never goes to 4K unless you specifically force it to. Automode has 720p selected and it refuses to go up.
My Roku-based 4k TV used to scale up to 4k with “auto,” but since ~April I’ve only seen 720p and sometimes 480p unless I specify higher.

Does youtube support HDR? How do we know if we're seeing HDR content on youtube?
My TCL briefly shows “HDR” in the corner, toggleable in TV settings. Maybe your LG has the same option? Or just hit “info” on your remote.

7/10 event: They didn't show gameplay for any of their 3 big games: Spiderman, Horizon 2 and Demon's souls. The most interesting stuff they showed was gameplay of some of the others games.

They could have easily shown gameplay of Spiderman as they already have the engine. Horizon 2, again don't tell me they don't have an advanced and beautiful build already running. Those guys are doing game engines for a living. People (like me) loved the first game the moment they saw...the gameplay reveal, not any in-engine (I hate this word) cutscene.

And Demon's souls ? I am sorry but first what they showed was not great, as usual they modified the artstyle of the original game, but that would have being OK if they had showed us compelling gameplay. And gameplay of a Souls game is everything, graphics (without great art), so what they showed, are the least important in that game.

The event was saved by GT7 (short gameplay moments, but RT was beautiful there), Astro Bot (Sony should never let go their new Japan Studio boss as the guy is so talented with his Nintendo touch) and obviously the winner of the event: the incredible graphics and next gen gameplay of Ratchet And Clank (of which I am not even interested). But basically Ratchet and Clank saved their event.

Another interesting thing about views is to gauge which franchises people are liking. Based on current youtube views

Spiderman is clear #1 with 4.8M views
Horizon is clear #2 with 2.9M views
Collective #3 with views between 1-1.5M is gtav, gt7, r&c, demon souls, nba2k21, project athia
Rest is under million or way under million.
Hardware reveal trailer has 10M views setting the bar? Half of the viewers are interested in spiderman(optimistic?/pessimistic?)

Spiderman coming for this holiday is a big, big deal. Most viewed game and also one of the games that is coming soon. System mover? I'm surprised horizon is not the #1 in this list.

im hearing a lot oof people thought it was a full sequel and are now upset

Interested in (decreasing priority order):
* Demon's Souls Remake
* Gran Turismo 7 (with wheel and VR)
* LittleBigPlanet or that Dream game, PS5 version

If I get a PS5, will probably need a Singstar title. Believe it or not, my wife plays the PS3 version once in a while.

Other games I find interesting but probably don't have time to play anymore:
* Pragmata
* R&C
* Ghostwire
* DeathLoop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back