Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
there is no need to get upset, his not liking PS brand does not change the fact that we'll be getting a lot of good and amazing looking games. And we'll enjoy them not matter what.

And that's also true for XsX.

and DF faceoffs we'll be interesting this gen ! well i hope !

See this is exactly what I been talking about, the leap in visual is massive compared to HZD. If people don't have their minds blown by this then what's on current gen that comes remotely close to this, I'd like to see it.

I think a lot of people remember HZD by screenshots made through photomode and not game play. In-game bullshot creator mechanism, make it a little harder to compare.

Very funny but HZD was stylized but I find in this game it is maybe more visible. The forest looks like Pandora. Same for the sky, it is more stylized.

It looks great. But it feels like an evolution of what would come by ramping up the power several notches and jumping the resolution. I'm not trying to piss on it, but next gen sits more with R&C where they are pushing the SSD to load a multitude of different things (possibly RT reflections) and the UE5 demo which changes the way things are rendered entirely. So one is about next gen hard drive, the other about needing enough horsepower to change the way we render to get away from FF pipeline and also a strong requirement around the hard drive.

Aside from that, the only thing that will get people is lighting and shadows, RT based physics etc.

That's what I would consider a massive leap. That's not a knock on HZD 2, it's just more of what we're used to seeing and better.

Not bad at all

vegetation density

EDIT: Nothing photorealistic but this looks very good and I understand better why the sky looks like this.

KoZR1xD.png

Our friends at Guerilla gave us a breathtaking first look at Horizon Forbidden West for PlayStation 5, a gorgeous new adventure set in a distant land ravaged by massive storms.

oy9AAdA.png

Aloy subsurface scattering is better, hair and fur are much better.

RAR9wWn.png

tr06P1A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks great. But it feels like an evolution of what would come by ramping up the power several notches and jumping the resolution. I'm not trying to piss on it, but next gen sits more with R&C where they are pushing the SSD to load a multitude of different things (possibly RT reflections) and the UE5 demo which changes the way things are rendered entirely. So one is about next gen hard drive, the other about needing enough horsepower to change the way we render to get away from FF pipeline and also a strong requirement around the hard drive.

Aside from that, the only thing that will get people is lighting and shadows, RT based physics etc.

That's what I would consider a massive leap. That's not a knock on HZD 2, it's just more of what we're used to seeing and better.
But how do you know the SSD isn't been used here in a profound way to empower its next gen status? When I see incidental asset like this is being rendered/streamed to this ridiculous level of detail,
vlcsnap-2020-06-12-02gvjdm.jpg

I'm very much compelled to believe it has a lot to do with the SSD's ability to stream in tons of unique, high quality/resolution asset on a massive scale in an open world game. Could be wrong tho, I just think there's more to the SSD usage here than we know.

But how do you know the SSD isn't been used here in a profound way to empower its next gen status? When I see incidental asset like this is being rendered/streamed to this ridiculous level of detail,
vlcsnap-2020-06-12-02gvjdm.jpg

I'm very much compelled to believe it has a lot to do with the SSD's ability to stream in tons of unique, high quality/resolution asset on a massive scale in an open world game. Could be wrong tho, I just think there's more to the SSD usage here than we know.
Because there's very little on display here. It's just not how streaming systems work, if you zoomed in it would just load in what it would need, there's not 8K textures everywhere in the screen that is changing all at once. The R&C demo pushes the SSD as it's loading entire levels and everything in there in about a second. That level of detail isn't that ridiculous. There's certainly much higher with Quixel. unless you want to try to tell me there are 30 million polygons in there ;)

HZD2 is very good, and looks great, great fur, great vegetation movement etc. don't mix up someone refuting your claim as therefore the game doesn't look great. The game looks great and anyone with eyes can see it's a beautiful display of next gen power. But it's your claims are too gushing, so people (myself) will try to reel you back into reality.

Last edited:
Because there's very little on display here. It's just not how streaming systems work, if you zoomed in it would just load in what it would need, there's not 8K textures everywhere in the screen that is changing all at once. The R&C demo pushes the SSD as it's loading entire levels and everything in there in about a second. That level of detail isn't that ridiculous. There's certainly much higher with Quixel. unless you want to try to tell me there are 30 million polygons in there ;)

HZD2 is very good, and looks great, great fur, great vegetation movement etc. don't mix up someone refuting your claim as therefore the game doesn't look great. The game looks great and anyone with eyes can see it's a beautiful display of next gen power. But it's your claims are too gushing, so people (myself) will try to reel you back into reality.
It's an animated model and last time I heard Nanite doesn't allow millions of polys for animated object. It's like if you zoom in on one of the bugs in the UE5 demo it certainly won't look more detailed than this.

Someone from regraded the trailer for HDR. I will see later on my TV.

https://i.lensdump.com/i/jO2cKi.gif

It's an animated model and last time I heard Nanite doesn't allow millions of polys for animated object. It's like if you zoom in on one of the bugs in the UE5 demo it certainly won't look more detailed than this.

You can't use it for animated object and vegetation. Here there is many things which would not work with Nanite.

Yea that's true, they won't use nanite for this. But that doesn't mean they couldn't recreate this without nanite. Any engine could create this type of model on the screen with a SVT system, just need the production team to do it. UE4 and Unity could do this today no issue.

Don't assume you've seen everything Horizon 2 has to offer. I'm still banking on ridable air dinos, even larger mega dinos and huge herds of dinos, with more more interactive environments.
Yea fair enough. I haven’t. I’m just referring to what was shown in this trailer. There’s definitely
An opportunity to take advantage of the SSDs streaming capabilities with flybys, portals and other things of that nature.

I wish I could say I could be more emotionally vested into the title; but I didn’t play the original so I’m just sort of a person looking in.

EDIT: Nothing photorealistic but this looks very good and I understand better why the sky looks like this.
"Our friends at Guerilla gave us a breathtaking first look at Horizon Forbidden West for PlayStation 5, a gorgeous new adventure set in a distant land ravaged by massive storms."

Bit off-topic but I've recently been reading the stormlight archive and that quote sounds good to me :p

The R&C demo pushes the SSD as it's loading entire levels and everything in there in about a second. That level of detail isn't that ridiculous. There's certainly much higher with Quixel. unless you want to try to tell me there are 30 million polygons in there ;)
Come on, we're not expecting to see dimensional gates and subsequent huge instant 'level-swapping' dynamics in all games, just because it can be done, are we? When there is a reason for it to happen (R&C, although it looks more gimmicky to me than anything) then it will happen. We have not seen loading times, but we can already see the level of detail on screen which is being streamed. Insane.

We have not see all of HFW yet, and what we have seen has incredibly dense amounts of details. Of course the game will look 'similar' to HZD, it's the direct sequel! It's the same Decima engine, with some upgrades and turned to 1000000. Also, it is probably worth revisiting the very gorgeous HZD, because it did not look flawless all the time. The sheer amount of tiny details and density everywhere we have seen on here is a humongous step.

And if you don't believe me, this passes the boyfriend test. He literally never cares about this stuff, never really sees graphics the way I do, and even he went OMG LOOK AT THAT DETAIL. Not once did he say it looks anything but next gen compared to HZD, and we played it in 4k HDR.

I don't think we will get anymore WTF, out of this world moments like we got between ps1-ps2 and to some extent between ps2-next gen. We are truly hitting diminished gains. To me HZD2 looks a lot better than the first iteration. But give it to some casual(or hater) and it's easy to make arguments it same but only little better.

Progress is much more evolutionary due to manufacturing practicalities. Also the chips we nowdays get are so optimized that there is no way to just leapfrog by making revolutionary new cpu/gpu technology.

Against that back drop trying to double down on ssd and audio makes a lot of sense. Those areas are much easier to push than trying to go for few more flops and 20% more pixels. Similarly it makes all the sense in the world to push developer/artist productivity as good&productive team can be much more significant than a little bit better/worse hw.

I'm super curious to see how HZD2 looks and feels in real life. Will guerrilla do something with ray tracing? HZD had really nice clouds and day/night cycle. Audio is another aspect I'm super curious. And of course the ssd might allow for more closeup detail/variety.

Amazing (sorry for the youtube crap quality, we need direct feed video)
firefox_wwDBB8eVO2.jpg
firefox_5AMSTOmnH3.jpg firefox_Wo1Q2cR2D0.jpg firefox_MoTZu23anR.jpg

Back