Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
that might be nice for teenagers but hte average age of gamers keeps going up as the nes generation grows old. I doubt many adult gamers want that in their living rooms and spouses might not want that in thier living rooms either. In all honesty the way it looks would stop me from buying it completely no matter what product it is
Sony have gotten away with glarey LEDs on their other consoles. This is a more subtle implementation than PS4's light-bar, so I can't see there being too much resistance to some subtle lighting. It's pretty standard fair these days. The mini PC I bought recently has the same thing...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JHJM4SB/?tag=b3d-21

upload_2020-6-12_15-51-54.png

So long as Sony allow us to disable it!

It's grown on me in it's vertical form but it's still hideous horizontally. I feel like it was designed to be upright and horizontal was an afterthought.

I feel like there really needs to be some sort of embellishment on that giant glossy black area, just way too much negative space. Careful placement of a PS or PS5 logo might have helped, but I think in the case of the PS5 logo at least, the type and spacing of the characters is so off-balance it probably would have looked worse.

The discless certainly looks much nicer, but I refuse to pay 20% more for digital games that I can't sell on; which by all rights should be cheaper than physical, so I'll be going with the standard. I can sell my UHD-BD player then too.

So rather than use USB ports that are standard, you used a controller you don't know the size of? Hmmm...what are their measurements in bananas?

The only image I've seen is this one;

EaQ6nRmXsAExS22-1024x579.jpg

Are you saying there's nothing wrong with this image?

You'll have to excuse me I have had a busy day and catching up!

I think the vents close to the rounded corner can only be inlets. I can't see any logical way to use them as outlets. The rounded corner has to be a big centrifugal fan, so it needs a large intake both above and below across the entire corner. Otherwise it would go from an awesome flow-aligned design to a stupid "wtf, why u do dis" design.

The outlet needs to be coming from the heatsink, which would be mostly linear flow, which means it can only outputs from the bottom, or to the back, or both. (if the fan is in the front corner) Anything else would be very weird.

I could be completely wrong, but I see only three possible design:
1. Fan rotating counter-clockwise (viewed from the top when horizontal) and the heatsink is in the middle and blows towards the power supply at the other end (the bottom, when placed vertical).
2. Fan rotating clockwise and is blowing flat towards the back, which means the size is a bit wasted unless the fan is crazy big with a very wide HS.
3. Some fancy diagonal flow or "fanned out HS" using both of the above.

I choose #1 as the most likely, or #3 because sony is acting weird and this would match their attitude.

All of this applies whether they cool from both sides of the PCB or not, but I wouldn't be surprised they do, as we see connectors and buttons in the middle. It's looking very possible.

Sony always engineer the system first, and then try to put a thin shell on it and prefer the design to be as close as possible to the raw engineering result. This may look gaudy, but it has to be the natural result of engineering choices, whatever they are, with no artistic choices dictating the engineering. They would add the light line and a few tweaks here and there, dual color etc...

Last edited:
I think the vents close to the rounded corner can only be inlets. I can't see any logical way to use them as outlets. The rounded corner has to be a big centrifugal fan, so it needs a large intake both above and below across the entire corner. Otherwise it would go from an awesome flow-aligned design to a stupid "wtf, why u do dis" design.

The outlet needs to be coming from the heatsink, which would be mostly linear flow, which means it can only outputs from the bottom, or to the back, or both. (if the fan is in the front corner) Anything else would be very weird.

I could be completely wrong, but I see only three possible design:
1. Fan rotating counter-clockwise (viewed from the top when horizontal) and the heatsink is in the middle and blows towards the power supply at the other end (the bottom, when placed vertical).
2. Fan rotating clockwise and is blowing flat towards the back, which means the size is a bit wasted unless the fan is crazy big with a very wide HS.
3. Some fancy diagonal flow or "fanned out HS" using both of the above.

I choose #1 as the most likely, or #3 because sony is acting weird and this would match their attitude.

All of this applies whether they cool from both sides of the PCB or not, but I wouldn't be surprised they do, as we see connectors and buttons in the middle. It's looking very possible.

Sony always engineer the system first, and then try to put a thin shell on it and prefer the design to be as close as possible to the raw engineering result. This may look gaudy, but it has to be the natural result of engineering choices, whatever they are, with no artistic choices dictating the engineering. They would add the light line and a few tweaks here and there, dual color etc...
I disagree with your take. I think those vents up there can only be outlets. It should be a similar setup as the Xbox Series X cooling. APU near the bottom, fresh air is coming from the bottom of the consoles, cooling the APU (maybe both sides on PS5), is going up, and is expelled at the top, using the archimede force along the way to be a bit more efficient.

They could use two fans up there slowly rotating in opposite direction. I dunno. Could be better for the noise. Or there is only one fan but they put another vent to have a nicer symmetrical design.

Exhausting out the front? That would be a bold choice!

It would but for many AV cabinets, there is better airflow at the front than at the back. I cut thin vents (covered with particle filters) into the rear of my AV centre and installed a USB-powered fan to create airflow (pulling warm air out). I can't remember the measurements I took with a Digital thermometer but I recall these changes making a big difference to ambient temperature of of AV cabinet when I had a base PS4. For many, the ambient temperate that the console sits isn't the ambient temperate of the room, but the AV enclosure itself.

is he right on this ?

edit - I want to be clear i'm more interested in the XSX fighting inside the ps5 in terms of volume and then all that left over space

Assume 36cm (height of the center piece), 9cm thickness, and ~ 25 cm depth, we have 8100 cm^3 of volume.
We know the whole thing is very curved, so we should expect around 20% of the volume is lost to curvature, so we end up with around 6,480 cm^3.
Going on the low side we say ~10% lost and we end up with 7,290 cm^3 for the high end of the volume.
So PS5 we can say, has a range of 6,480 to 7,290 cm^3
in cubic inches it will be 395~ 445, so nobody knows where that 600 cin figure comes from.

Xbox SX is 301mm x 151mm x 151mm and is quite literally a "box" so we don't lose volume

which is around 6863 cm^3.
or 419 cin.

Ultimately they are about the same size in volume if you are really unbiased and factor in the curvature.
It really feels like a unsubstantiated attack on the design of the PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back