Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7537

49996302046_b9fcd7b636_4k.jpg

49996551392_2065591823_4k.jpg

49996301136_35dd0b145b_4k.jpg

This looks awesome, genuine next gen graphics IMO and a great showcase for the SSD speed with the swaps between environments. I wasn't particularly impressed with Horizon 2 but this is definitely what I'd expect from next gen.

This was/is the best looking "next-gen" game shown on any platform so far. Bloody awesome despite the loading stutter.

The hitching while loading shows me it's real and that will probably be worked out by launch or all that SSD speed is really needed.

this was the best in show for graphics. Had everything in it. And I think RT reflections on top of it. Waiting see what DF says, they'll do a more thorough job

crazy how some "people" on the internets are complaining over that 1.5s "loading" hub when ratchet switches from one world to another.

To be fair, I think those portals and that inter-dimension limbo were still a little rough. They could have made that thing look more WOW worthy with some extra polish.
Even then, you can't deny that that constant jumping across completely different environments, all of them extremely high fidelity, was one of the greatests examples of what this next gen can be all all about.

Even then, you can't deny that that constant jumping across completely different environments, all of them extremely high fidelity, was one of the greatests examples of what this next gen can be all all about.

If that's the case, I'm going to hate all the games of next-gen. It's all too ADHD for me.

If that's the case, I'm going to hate all the games of next-gen. It's all too ADHD for me.

The whole game is not like that, and I'd bet even rhat section won't be THAT rushed in the actual game. They were trying to make a point.

The whole game is not like that, and I'd bet even rhat section won't be THAT rushed in the actual game. They were trying to make a point.

Well you did say "of what this next gen can be all about", as in that's all it's about and nothing more. Okay, so I'm just being pedantic. ;)

crazy how some "people" on the internets are complaining over that 1.5s "loading" hub when ratchet switches from one world to another.
SSD might be super fast, but the CPU still needs to do some work, load in new AI, new actors, new animations, new objects, new worlds, new everything and new lighting needs to be computed. Just because you got SSD pumping the assets doesn't mean things don't need to be computed at all. It's quite stressing on the system I suspect. People need reasonable expectations and this is pretty good for a first shot.

But at the same time, this was what I wanted to allude to. I/O is not compute, and I frankly had people shitting on me for it. And as fast as I/O can be, compute and processing still needs time to do its thing. Animations, AI, objects, Lighting and shadows, reflections etc (especially if they are using RT reflections which I believe they were, will require an entire BVH rebuild moving from dimension to dimension - that's up to 1GB in size!).

This is where marketing the SSD as everything being instant, hit the wall of reality.

SSD might be super fast, but the CPU still needs to do some work, load in new AI, new actors, new animations, new objects, new worlds, new everything and new lighting needs to be computed. Just because you got SSD pumping the assets doesn't mean things don't need to be computed at all. It's quite stressing on the system I suspect. People need reasonable expectations and this is pretty good for a first shot.

But at the same time, this was what I wanted to allude to. I/O is not compute, and I frankly had people shitting on me for it. And as fast as I/O can be, compute and processing still needs time to do its thing. Animations, AI, objects, Lighting and shadows, reflections etc (especially if they are using RT reflections which I believe they were, will require an entire BVH rebuild moving from dimension to dimension - that's up to 1GB in size!).

This is where marketing the SSD as everything being instant, hit the wall of reality.

but if your next scene/level is not more compute heavy than the previous one, with that kind of speed, the transition is super fast like we see in this game.
It was never meant to go above the compute power of the PS5, but to transition almost instantly between complex scenes, without relying on FMVs or load screens. And they delivered on that.

but if your next scene/level is not more compute heavy than the previous one, with that kind of speed, the transition is super fast like we see in this game.
It was never meant to go above the compute power of the PS5, but to transition almost instantly between complex scenes, without relying on FMVs or load screens. And they delivered on that.
yea ti's delivered for me. I don't know what people want, less than 1 second so you have no clue at all what's going on? I dunno. For all we know perhaps it could have been even faster, but that type of experience is too jarring for the player to understand the world is changing on them. I guess some people expect to see through the portal and just step through.

yea ti's delivered for me. I don't know what people want, less than 1 second so you have no clue at all what's going on? I dunno. For all we know perhaps it could have been even faster, but that type of experience is too jarring for the player to understand the world is changing on them. I guess some people expect to see through the portal and just step through.

i'm sure that scene will be part of the into sequence of the game, then in real gameplay we won''t have to switch like that every 5 seconds, maybe only during set pieces of boss fights.

Back