Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

oh boy I guess the hardware wasn't ready for Next-Gen.

Can't say I have seen a single game showcasing a generational leap, Horizon 2 looks ok and that's it.
Seems like 3D audio and the haptic feedback in the dualsense is what brings the next step in immersion and maybe end up being the generational leap.

I have no idea how the 100% DD people are going to deal with the storage.

Well, 100% DD people, already pay more per game, do not get resell value of discs and probably have bigger drives in their PS4/PS4Pro already. I am also guessing they have more internet bandwidth which most likely is more expensive to.
So, I am guessing, that having to buy a nvm disc is within their means/budget.

TpHrIj5.png

It looks like it's going to be very close to the OG PS3. So in the big side.

Did anybody else notice the Xbox 360 inhale design? Can you add the white 360 Premium standing on the left side?

Tommy McClain

How many games a year does the average owner buy? Pretty sure it's not even double digits. 5 or so most probably.

No idea, but I guess there are some numbers out there on the interwebs :)
For the PS3/PS4/PS4Pro, I installed a bigger drive, even before I booted the console. Just to avoid having to re-download or copy over stuff when the standard one need upgrading.

How many games a year does the average owner buy? Pretty sure it's not even double digits. 5 or so most probably.

More like 2 to 2 and a half. The attach rate (games bought per average console) of the PS4 was like, 11, about two years ago. So by now it should be, 13, maybe 15? Something like that.

ok.. few weeks ago i felt underwhelmed with the gpu specs and complained about over excitement over the cooling system , but now i am quite worried when i see these intake and vents..
In the end, i quite preferred the dev kits with separate processing compartment and power compartment with each having their separate ventilation and intake .
This design feels like a good recipe for a yellow ring/ bar of death.
Regarding the demos... it felt soooo last gen. I mean death stranding and GOW 4 look better.

ok.. few weeks ago i felt underwhelmed with the gpu specs and complained about over excitement over the cooling system , but now i am quite worried when i see these intake and vents..
In the end, i quite preferred the dev kits with separate processing compartment and power compartment with each having their separate ventilation and intake .
Regarding the demos... it felt soooo last gen. I mean death stranding and GOW 4 look better.

Maybe cause its all early/alpha days?

Judging from the sheer size of the console I don't think that's an issue. It's an estimated 40 cm tall. If it was ~30cm tall I would have the same concern.

In my case, I'm definitely purchasing the Blu-Ray edition.

Disc media is great to swap games among a friend group. I'm in a group with 5 other friends where each holiday / black friday sales we purchase something like the best 5-6 single-player games of that year. We then play and switch the games throughout the following months.
We also make sure to give disc games as birthday presents within this same group. The person getting it obviously plays it first, and then we take turns.
Among a larger pool of friends (about 8 I think?), I also borrow (from and to) several games that I or the others just decide to buy for ourselves.

I guess if you don't have any (geographically) close friends who would be willing to borrow and swap games, then the digital version might make more sense.
With digital, two of you can play at the same time with 1 license bought.

As you know them in real life, you can go to their console and login to your account and add their console as primary. No password sharing nightmare.

You play with your account. They play with their account. All in their own console

But when it's archived will it still keep up to date with patches and upgrades? A lot of questions on how both consoles will deal with this storage juggling.
On PC, I only archive games when I'm storing them on my external drive. I have a small SSD boot drive, a 500GB SSD drive I more games I'm playing on, and a 4TB platter drive that I install games to that don't need fast storage (older games, or stuff like Streets of Rage 4). But Steam allows you to move installs, so I move games to and from the SSD when I'm playing them actively or not. Games always update, regardless of where they are installed. Hopefully they have a system like that.
Thought I heard it sold pretty well once there was a decent price difference between it and the standard 1S.
Thing is not everyone, but there is a distinct direction of people moving to buying digital. Movies people probably buy digital also. So for a lot of people the question becomes why pay for something that they just aren't going to use anymore.
I know some people who have One S All Digitals. One of my friends did the all access deal to get one for his kid's bedroom, because it was $20 a month for two years but includes live+gamepass (which costs $15/Month) so you end up paying $120 for the console. He already has an xbox, and has been collecting the games with gold for years, and combined with Fortnite and the games from gamepass he's probably never going to buy games for his kid anyway.
Hopefully those white plates means easy disassembly for cleaning
I can't wait until they do a subtle redesign and the new white plates don't fit the old console because they moved 3 tabs 2mms each.

Reactions: Jay
Not to mention shipping damage. Collectors Editions might be the only thing left as physical enticements. I guess publishers will switch to bundling digital copies with their CEs, just like most new console pack-ins.

Digital offers a ton of advantages (provided your internet doesn't go out--I couldn't play PSN games), especially if we can suspend multiple titles. I love my Steam library, and frequent sales and bundles have helped. Humble's done a few Sony and Nintendo bundles. Hope they do more.
By psn games yo you means digital games or online games or tiny psn games? (tagged as PSN Games in psn in some region).

If it's digital games, you need to set your console as primary to be able to use them without internet.

There isn't much more than maybe $30 to save. I think they might take a bigger loss on the DD version, just like MS.

I have no idea how the 100% DD people are going to deal with the storage. I'm about 50/50 disk/dd on a 1TB ps4 and I delete games often and always delete the disk ones since reinstalling takes no time, if games are twice the size I will need 2TB about a year after launch. The trailers already have 5 games I am buying day one, and two are a maybe after reviews.

Standard nvme is going to be an easy upgrade though, it can wait a while. I might choose my laptop drive carefully to do another "hand me down". My 960GB ssd from my old laptop went into my launch ps4, and then moved to my pro. It's the end of the road for that well worn device. Farewell sweet indestructable prince.

What you can't just buy multiple removeable ssd for it and swap at will ? (yes I'm sassing ! )

Actually, the more I think about it, I don't know if Sony's base Digital Edition model will be the cheapest entry to PS5. I can see them wanting to deliver the PS:AD with more than 825 Gig. So PS:AD will be 1.65 TB and costs more than the base 825 GB PS5.
They could also offer more storage on the drive-less SKU. They won't want to juggle too many SKUs for launch, but if the vast majority will pre-order, and they will, they'll know the preference of vast majority.

The two sku's pricing will be interesting, could really put pressure on xbox series.
4K Blu-ray drives aren't crazy expensive so offering the Digital Edition is an interesting decision, but if it saves $£30-50 on the RRP (drive, less electronics, no licensing) and means breaking even on profit/loss or just minimising loss and/or increasing consumer appeal maybe it makes sense. I.e. 529/499 or 529/479. Or 549/499. If you're looking at losing $50 per unit and can find a way to lose $30 less per unit you may do it. And I'm sure there are people for whom this genuinely appeals.

I would like to know more about the external storage options - not the expandable NVMe drive for PS5 games but where I put all my PS4 games. My 2Tb PS4 Pro is packed out and I was thinking of adding an 8-12Tb 3.5" HDD for those but now I'm thinking maybe I just buy a 4-6Tb SSD if - and it's a big if - PS5 can take advantage of that increased I/O. It ought it but I'm assuming nothing.

Once I've got used to PS5, PS4 games will quickly become a drag if they're still having 1-2 minute load times from external storage. This is a first world problem I am willing to throw money at.

Last edited by a moderator:
No PSVR 2.0 reveal is disappointing but otherwise serviceable showing. I think the design is bold but over time, I expect it to draw less attention. I'll be picking one up D1 for sure.

Is there still much of a secondary market for games discs?

Yeah discs are better deal if they charge the same for the digital download while you can re-sell discs after you're finished.

I would say the Ultra Blu Ray would be useful for movies but who knows if they will keep releasing movies on UHD Blu Ray.

Will it have HDMI 2.1? It better.

Yes, at least in my country.

I buy & sell lot of gaming stuff.

Usually if I want to, I can get games that launch at ~70€ within a week or two after the launch for 30-40€ used.

I sold metro (the newest one) for 25€ a month ago, which is ok price as it is kind of old already.

sold assassins origins for 12€ few days ago

then there are older games that sell too, most are cheap like 5-15e (ps3 & older) with some rarer games, I dont think that ps4 games will be rare in YEARS.

and there are tons of ps4 games used for sale on our auction&fleemarket sites.

That discless one looks better, but I have to get the disc-one as 90% of my ps4 games are physical + I dislike the digital game world.

Digital games are easy and convenient for sure, but unless they will price them like they should on launch, which is imo like 15-30€ max, I wont bother with them much.

digitals just dont have almost any value other than the game play experience, so they lose the trade&sell value which is imo like 50-70% of the launch price.

Also I like to get some games on launch so why would I pay ridiculous 70€ if I can just buy one online used for half of that within days of the launch.

If digital games would be sellable + cheaper, and I would not have like 70-80 ps4 physicals, I would consider digital edition

No PSVR 2.0 reveal is disappointing but otherwise serviceable showing.
PSVR (Project Morpheus) was in development long before PS4 and but released three years after launch. I'm certain PSVR2 is coming and hopefully it won't require a second box and we'll have a better idea of that when we see the ports on the PS5.

Juggling SKUs for production and logistics seems like a procurement and supply nightmare to me :D

I agree completely. You just don't want to do this. I don't think there will be two options for the SSD size, there is an expansion slot to address that specific problem.

I was addressing the speculation that the Digital Edition may have more SSD. It's more typical for your premium product offering to have less compromises, so I wouldn't expect more SSD space in the device without the UHD drive. That said, no optical drive means no install from disc so it would seem logical to have more space to skirt that issue but this would be contrary to CE device marketing and pricing.

I think both PS5 consoles will come with 825Gb, which still feels ludicrously small. I am eager to see the install sizes for cross-gen games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla. We'll have a better idea once we see a monster open world game for nextgen.

Back