Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it likely that the optical drive slot would be different from other optical drive slots in other consoles?

Just curious.

Some say the optical slot looks to be a bit wider on the Xbox consoles because it's beveled, so using the outlines of that might not be as accurate as using USB A slots for scaling.

Some say the optical slot looks to be a bit wider on the Xbox consoles because it's beveled, so using the outlines of that might not be as accurate as using USB A slots for scaling.

USB A is quite small on the pictures so they're not good reference points.
They're like 33 pixels high so adding/ subtracting one pixel will result in a 3% increase/ decrease in height. That's more error than you'd like. Knowing The ps5 to be around 40 cm tall that's a 1.2cm error for every pixel you miscount. Not a good reference point.

DualSense also has a different form factor from DS4 so that's a nogo due to using unknown sizes.

The only reliable thing that's actually big enough and gives you minimal error is the disk slot.
Knowing that the disk slot MUST fit a blu ray disk we can effectively derive a lower bound on the size. A blu-ray disk hole is about 12.5 cm minimum (disk is 12cm, you have to make the hole a bit larger than that) , and probably 13 cm maximum
thus we can pixel count and get a rough idea.

XBSX put to the right is put there for comparison using 12.5cm scale. If I used the 13cm scale the XBSX would be a bit smaller.

ps5 size.jpg

Last edited:
XSX: 15.1cm x 15.1cm x 30.1cm = 6860 cm3
PS5: 41.5cm x 10.1cm x Z = ?
If the depth is 15cm or greater, by volume would be larger than XSX. I think it's likely deeper than 15 sort of eyeballing it.
Wouldn't it have to be deeper than 15cm? If it's deep enough to take in a 12cm optical disc, the drive and clearance for the hook ups would make it basically impossible to be less than 15cm deep.

The disc slots are always arbitrarily wider, there are internal guides that allows off center insertion so the outer plastic is never the size of the disc exactly. It's an unreliable point of reference but a minimum. It can be very tight or have quite a few mm more.

Is it flat where the drive is located or is that a curved or angled surface?

I wonder if I put a white tortilla around my router... I could start selling them on ebay.

Is it flat where the drive is located or is that a curved or angled surface?

I wonder if I put a white tortilla around my router... I could start selling them on ebay.

I think it's curved which is why the official image has an accessory stand when lying down.

m68gq2vi8e451.png

Tommy McClain

Interesting. Are these the two largest consoles of all time? Xbox One and PS3 fat are the contenders. Kind of makes me about node transitions and six years from now. Do we end up with consoles that look like 1970s VCRs?

The size of the console doesn't really bother me. I loved the original xbox one because the size allowed it to be so quiet. I just don't like the design of this thing at all. It would completely stand out against all my electronics
They want it to stand out. Proudly display your giant white tortilla illuminated from within with blue LED light for the world to see all—the—time!

Last edited:
The size of the console doesn't really bother me. I loved the original xbox one because the size allowed it to be so quiet. I just don't like the design of this thing at all. It would completely stand out against all my electronics

Depth/height is the most critical factor for me. My TV and AV centre is in a corner and the rear is curved. Based on its dimensions, XSX is a problem. PS5 probably won't be but depth is key. I was expecting to update my TV and AV centre this year anyway but options are limited when you're looking at putting it all in the corner, and not on a clean 45 degree angle - hence the curved back.

PS5 isn't a cuboid though. There's a lot of empty space between the real volume and the bounding box.
Yea, but we measure at the bounding box. You wouldn’t add space in there unnecessarily. It Just adds to shipping and material costs.

Unless you mean you want me to account for the curvature. We’d need a function to determine that and some integrals lol.

Yea, but we measure at the bounding box. You wouldn’t add space in there unnecessarily. It Just adds to shipping and material costs.

Unless you mean you want me to account for the curvature.
Console volume is defined by these curved sufaces, yes. Comparing engineering volumes (for things like considering cooling), we need actual object volume. S5's internal volume is a lot less than its bounding box, meaning components are more packed than XBSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back