Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2019-2021]

Would be chill if next gen ingame model looks like DS cutscene model and cutscene model looks like this:

I don't know, skin tone seems a bit off. ;-)

Hopefully the thing they can approach next gen is the level of performance capture. Endgame Hulk was really top notch.

Refn
49109066901_2aed7929f3_o.png

This is a not human but it runs realtime on PC

I hope one day we will have something like this in a cutscene. This is a realtime version of Thanos running on PC. It was made by a lead character artist of Rockstar North.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XBzwA3

jamie-lee-lloyd-jll-thanos-purple-close.jpg

Something I've been noodling with in spare time to try out new tools and techniques.

A take on a younger Thanos - just on the verge of being deemed the 'Category 1 life ender' by Nova corps maybe...

Created in Zbrush using dynamesh for the body and mesh extraction/Zmodeler tools for the Armor. Decided to take him through to game resolution topology in 3ds max and onto bakes and texturing using Substance Painter. Grabs and captures are from Marmoset Toolbag 3, sparks and smoke are hand keyed alpha cards with rotating sky box for a vfx bodge in the viewer limitations.

Thanks to Nico Malovec for the help with rigging and baseline idle!

Endgame on Blu Ray can't come quick enough...

The tolopogy is realtime and game friendly but not current gen friendly probably next generation or worst case next next generation friendly.

jamie-lee-lloyd-jll-thanos-realtime-gif.gif

https://vimeo.com/342627610

https://vimeo.com/341032779

Last edited:
Most probably, bearing in mind what we can already see in some current gen titles.

I think realtime cutscenes and talking heads can get there. A random NPC in an open world game? I'm not so sure. The path to creating and animating 'Thanos' level characters needs to be cheap/faster doesn't it?

With the new fast streaming of assets in memory maybe we'll also see a jump in NPCs closeup détails.
NPCs with dialog lines are already very detailed in Horizon.

Didn't Horizon ZD do some dynamic voodoo with its animations?

There were times when I found it pretty jarring, but going between that and Fallout 4 made me appreciate the slight weirdness of Horizon's NPC animations.

Didn't Horizon ZD do some dynamic voodoo with its animations?

There were times when I found it pretty jarring, but going between that and Fallout 4 made me appreciate the slight weirdness of Horizon's NPC animations.

The DLC the Frozen Wilds is improved a lot. The problem of HZD is not only inconsistency of NPC animation but the camera work was poor and body movement was unrealistic with people never moving and the camera work was bad but the DLC improved a lot. And they said Kojima productions help a lot to improve the Decima Engine with cinematic and lighting. It will probably be visible in HZD.

The DLC the Frozen Wilds is improved a lot. The problem of HZD is not only inconsistency of NPC animation but the camera work was poor and body movement was unrealistic with people never moving and the camera work was bad but the DLC improved a lot. And they said Kojima productions help a lot to improve the Decima Engine with cinematic and lighting. It will probably be visible in HZD.

Just saw this. Agreed, Frozen Wilds looked a lot better on every level, subtle though it was. Hopefully we'll see some evolution of that at Sony's PS5 thing tomorrow.

@ultragpu I don't know why Sony doesn't release raw PNGs. You clearly can see a lot of artifacts around "Capture from PS4 Pro" mark.

Maybe I'm a fanboy, but I swear this is the first character I've seen in a video game that looks... real. I don't know how to describe it, it's a sensation. I'm sure there are other much better rendered, with better animations: star citizen, hellblade, etc. But her face looks so goddamn real. Am I the only one that gets this sensation?

tlou.png

Edit: I think in the picture above, the hair breaks the illusion, doesn't look as good as the face.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back