Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The two sku's pricing will be interesting, could really put pressure on xbox series.
There isn't much more than maybe $30 to save. I think they might take a bigger loss on the DD version, just like MS.

I have no idea how the 100% DD people are going to deal with the storage. I'm about 50/50 disk/dd on a 1TB ps4 and I delete games often and always delete the disk ones since reinstalling takes no time, if games are twice the size I will need 2TB about a year after launch. The trailers already have 5 games I am buying day one, and two are a maybe after reviews.

Standard nvme is going to be an easy upgrade though, it can wait a while. I might choose my laptop drive carefully to do another "hand me down". My 960GB ssd from my old laptop went into my launch ps4, and then moved to my pro. It's the end of the road for that well worn device. Farewell sweet indestructable prince.

Last edited:
There isn't much more than maybe $30 to save. I think they might take a bigger loss on the DD version, just like MS.

I have no idea how the 100% DD people are going to deal with the storage. I'm about 50/50 disk/dd on a 1TB ps4 and I delete games often and always delete the disk ones since reinstalling takes no time, if games are twice the size I will need 2TB about a year after launch. The trailers already have 5 games I am buying day one, and two are a maybe after reviews.

I'd be shocked if they didn't allow you to archive games to an external USB drive. While it's an additional cost to people, it does allow them the potential to not have to redownload a game if they want to replay it.

I do this with Steam games instead of uninstalling them if I know I'm going to want to replay a game. Unfortunately, the MS Store client on PC doesn't have this capability, grrrrrr.

Hell, when I had limited internet (only had dial-up internet at the family ranch), I used to just archive my friend's install of a Steam game. Bring the archived game to my place and then "install" from that archive onto my machine with my Steam account.

IMO - both consoles should allow users to do this since digital games require online authentication anyway.

Regards,
SB

But when it's archived will it still keep up to date with patches and upgrades? A lot of questions on how both consoles will deal with this storage juggling.

Well, you'd still have to update the game after restoring it, but it should still be better than redownloading the entire game. But would be neat if they would also update the archived game (opt in, in case of download caps).

Regards,
SB

Digital offers a ton of advantages (provided your internet doesn't go out--I couldn't play PSN games), especially if we can suspend multiple titles.

In my case, I'm definitely purchasing the Blu-Ray edition.

Disc media is great to swap games among a friend group. I'm in a group with 5 other friends where each holiday / black friday sales we purchase something like the best 5-6 single-player games of that year. We then play and switch the games throughout the following months.
We also make sure to give disc games as birthday presents within this same group. The person getting it obviously plays it first, and then we take turns.
Among a larger pool of friends (about 8 I think?), I also borrow (from and to) several games that I or the others just decide to buy for ourselves.

I guess if you don't have any (geographically) close friends who would be willing to borrow and swap games, then the digital version might make more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's possibly the BOM, factor in no second hand sales, the full price of a game that cuts out everything that relates to physical sales.
May see the cost be more than $50 difference.
But even at 50 that gets it closer to Lockhart. Where without the Digital Edition may have been let's say $100 - 150 difference.

I can appreciate the dance their both playing around pricing even more now.
I have no idea how the 100% DD people are going to deal with the storage.
Back them up in an external drive?

Not if the PS:AD costs more than base PS5 because they need to offer 1.65 TB NVME instead of a mere 825 GB.
So possibly same price for the two sku's, or more expensive?
That could be an interesting approach, although I still think they'll go cheaper.

Last edited:
I have no idea how the 100% DD people are going to deal with the storage. .

Probably I'm not only one but once I finish a game I almost never come back. i.e. I can pretty much uninstall games after few weeks of playtime. Any kind of online game I cannot and will not play with console as I hate gamepad for any kind of competitive gaming.

If storage turns out to be issue it will take few years before that happens to me. By that time I'm willing to invest into additional nvme ssd to have more space.

If sony is smart they would allow copying game install to regular usb hdd for safe keeping. Then install back from hdd to internal memory if I want to play the game again. Sony already allows using regular hdd for ps4 installs so it's not inconceivable to use hdd to store ps5 installs.

That's possibly the BOM, factor in no second hand sales, the full price of a game that cuts out everything that relates to physical sales.
May see the cost be more than $50 difference.

What an interesting coincidence where in the post just above yours is an example of developers losing out on 5 game sales per game release. Which means Sony lost out on their percentage of those 5 game sales per game release. Granted all 6 people in the group may not be totally interested in every game release so it's not quite that bad.

So if Sony can get more people to get the diskless version of the console they potentially stand to more than offset eating the cost of selling it at say 100 USD less than the disk version of the PS5.

Regards,
SB

Reactions: Jay
Well, you'd still have to update the game after restoring it, but it should still be better than redownloading the entire game.

Regards,
SB

The idea of 'sneakernet' becoming more useful again seems wild. I definitely do the SDD<->HDD software shuffle a lot these days to best utilize the limited SDD space I have, and if I had to contend bandwidth caps or low bandwidth, I could totally see having a sneakernet library among friends. Really curious to see how this generation copes with the drive space and developers feeling constrained by their installation sizes.

It makes perfect sense to take a bigger loss on a digital-only version, since Sony guarantees they're getting most of the distribution costs of each sale.

A digital-only console owner with 50 games will probably make Sony a lot more money than a similar blu-ray console owner with 50 bluray games.

OTOH, customers could see through the limitations of a digital-only console and avoid it altogether, like they apparently did with the super cheap XBOne SAD.
If this happens, I'm not expecting the PS5 digital-only to last for long.

But when it's archived will it still keep up to date with patches and upgrades? A lot of questions on how both consoles will deal with this storage juggling.

If you store it in an external SSD drive with say a 4GB/s transfer rate and lets say a 50GB game it'll be just a 12.5 second copy paste between the drive.
store it on a HDD with 100MB/s transfer rate then it's more like 500s or 8 minutes or so.

There's no reason to not be able to update the game just stored in another drive albeit you just don't run the game off of it.

If it's plugged in, I would expect it to auto update if enabled.
Only difference is you can't run it from that drive. Xbox I'm sure will work like that, ps5 I suspect it will.

If you store it in an external SSD drive with say a 4GB/s transfer rate and lets say a 50GB game it'll be just a 12.5 second copy paste between the drive.
store it on a HDD with 100MB/s transfer rate then it's more like 500s or 8 minutes or so.

There's no reason to not be able to update the game just stored in another drive albeit you just don't run the game off of it.

Right. But there have been stranger restrictions on many things that makes you think "What? Why do they do that?".

The other way the optical hole would fill with dirt very quickly.

Clean holes are better.
No really, ODD slots usually have sealed wipers and don't suck any air.. I have a 2006 fat ps3 and while I take it apart every 4 years or so to clean the dust around the fan and heatsink, the ODD never needed cleaning, ever.

The ODD could be better under for heat reasons though.

Is there still much of a secondary market for games discs?

Yeah discs are better deal if they charge the same for the digital download while you can re-sell discs after you're finished.

I would say the Ultra Blu Ray would be useful for movies but who knows if they will keep releasing movies on UHD Blu Ray.

Will it have HDMI 2.1? It better.

OTOH, customers could see through the limitations of a digital-only console and avoid it altogether, like they apparently did with the super cheap XBOne SAD.
If this happens, I'm not expecting the PS5 digital-only to last for long.
Thought I heard it sold pretty well once there was a decent price difference between it and the standard 1S.
Thing is not everyone, but there is a distinct direction of people moving to buying digital. Movies people probably buy digital also. So for a lot of people the question becomes why pay for something that they just aren't going to use anymore.

Back