Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I can sort of appreciate the design of the digital version, at least head-on. Dunno why, but I see a hint of a PS trophy. Maybe there’ll be an accessory controller stand that completes the look. Okay, now I want a brushed copper PS5.

Listening with headphones, there's some spatialness for sure
Well, isn’t that spatial. /ChurchLady (keywords: SNL, DanaCarvey, datingmyself, phrasing)

What's EG?
Eurogamer.net

People find a way to whine.
As long as the fan(s) and capacitors don't.

Last edited:
Digital games still tend to cost more than physical, ignoring used copies (which may be wrecked by covid19 anyway). On the other hand, the console is cheaper to start with, has one less part that can fail, and digital subscriptions can be amazing values.
Don't forget physical takes up more room in a house / apartment. You have to physically go out and buy the game which can have its own negatives associated with it , like fuel / travel costs or physical stock and so on.

I don't know about you but a $5 or $10 discount isn't worth potentially getting a deadly virus and I'd have to drive about 20 minutes away to purchase a game now as the game stops in my area have closed. To be honest I don't even know where the closest place to buy a used game is to me. That's before I account for gas although thanks to the virus it is cheaper

Of course I can always order online and wait for the game to get shipped but amazon likes to cancel limited stuff on you and almost all my stuff is arriving days late still.

I think a cheaper ps5 with no optical disc is only going to drive consumers further to digital

Actually, the more I think about it, I don't know if Sony's base Digital Edition model will be the cheapest entry to PS5. I can see them wanting to deliver the PS:AD with more than 825 Gig. So PS:AD will be 1.65 TB and costs more than the base 825 GB PS5.

So...was there anything particularly next-gen, other than R&Cs total world replacement?

YT vid - 460k watches, 403k likes!!!!

I saw quite a few places where Raytracing was very obvious - even to me who cares very little by now. That Pragmata game had RT all over. R&T was a maybe. Spider-Man too. Oh and well, Horizon has absolutely insane detail density.

Reminds me of a wireless router/hub I cannot put my finger on.

I think the design is indicative of a lot of lowish TDP hardware that tend to be passively cooled (dual purpose omnidirectional intake and exhaust). Nothing about that case strikes me as very optimal for directional+active cooling for a higher TDP console.

I saw quite a few places where Raytracing was very obvious - even to me who cares very little by now. That Pragmata game had RT all over. R&T was a maybe. Spider-Man too.
There was some amazing stuff, but it was cutscenes. ;) Once gameplay hit is wasn't that far removed from current gen, but it's launch titles so that's okay.

I'm not entirely convinced by the RT presence. At 2:00:16 we saw some Capcom game in a city. We see interesting asset LOD on the taxi pop-in. We some some shiny-shiny reflections there, but the reflections on the street are clearly screenspace. Maybe the black car is tracing the sign opposite? Hard to say. I'm sure DF will have a field day with this material! No sleep for Richard and friends tonight.

Actually, the more I think about it, I don't know if Sony's base Digital Edition model will be the cheapest entry to PS5. I can see them wanting to deliver the PS:AD with more than 825 Gig. So PS:AD will be 1.65 TB and costs more than the base 825 GB PS5.

Thought about this possibility as well.

If you own a lot of physical PS4 games how will BC work on the digital edition console?

There was some amazing stuff, but it was cutscenes. ;) Once gameplay hit is wasn't that far removed from current gen, but it's launch titles so that's okay.

I'm not entirely convinced by the RT presence. At 2:00:16 we saw some Capcom game in a city. We see interesting asset LOD on the taxi pop-in. We some some shiny-shiny reflections there, but the reflections on the street are clearly screenspace. Maybe the black car is tracing the sign opposite? Hard to say. I'm sure DF will have a field day with this material! No sleep for Richard and friends tonight.

The floor clearly reflects buildings and things that are not in screen space. Plus they had that cheesy moment with the close up of the girl’s eye (like they did with Battlefield V).

Of course I can always order online and wait for the game to get shipped but amazon likes to cancel limited stuff on you and almost all my stuff is arriving days late still.
Not to mention shipping damage. Collectors Editions might be the only thing left as physical enticements. I guess publishers will switch to bundling digital copies with their CEs, just like most new console pack-ins.

Digital offers a ton of advantages (provided your internet doesn't go out--I couldn't play PSN games), especially if we can suspend multiple titles. I love my Steam library, and frequent sales and bundles have helped. Humble's done a few Sony and Nintendo bundles. Hope they do more.

I guess publishers will switch to bundling digital copies with their CEs, just like most new console pack-ins.

This is what happened on PC later in the transition prior to them eventually ending physical sales. If you pre-ordered the physical version you would get a digital code to redeem.

Regards,
SB

View attachment 4013

flat view, seems to have a stand for putting it on the side
It looks really bad from that angle especially, lines are incoherent and lots of negative space.

It looks like a melted virgin tivo / set-top box.

When I think of PlayStation I think of distinctive and iconic, even if polarising and not immediately pleasing. This is just, ehhh... I really don't like it.

Vertically the discless looks a bit easier on the eye, but the standard one looks all off kilter with the drive bit just tacked on.

Even though I like the overall direction of the controller, when the DualSense was shown some of the blatant visual design flaws were alarming and had me worried they'd make the same mistakes with the console design; and they have. You either follow fundamental design rules or you break them; meandering somewhere between almost always results in something lacking identity.

It's not so much about whether it's subjectively pleasing to look at or even if it fits well in an entertainment set up, but whether -- from a branding perspective -- this box will garner the same level of nostalgia for new gamers that many of us likely have for that little grey PS1 box, that PS2 monolith, that polarising PS3, even the conservative, utilitarian PS4. I don't think it will...

The two sku's pricing will be interesting, could really put pressure on xbox series.

Not if the PS:AD costs more than base PS5 because they need to offer 1.65 TB NVME instead of a mere 825 GB.

Back