The technical viability of cross-plattform games

MistaPi

Regular
I do realize depending on the game and what developers want to do not every game can be cross-plattform. But how much work would it be to take full advantage of XBSX and/or PS5 and make the game cross-gen? How much work has to be redone regarding lighting, geometry, textures and so on? Will modern and future game engines like UE5 make this work easier? Do you think XBSX and PS5 version of cross-plattform games will just suffer greatly?

Edit- oops, should read the question carefully, don't be a dummy like me!

To answer the actual question. The two generations are both x86 from the same CPU and GPU vendor, so just porting it will be fine. But "take advantage" of the next gen consoles?

That's going to take years and years. Figuring out the best streaming schemes for the new SSDs, figuring out raytracing beyond "we made some things reflective", optimizing for the new architecture, for double rate floating point 16bit format, for mesh shaders and variable rate shading and etc. etc.

Just like always games will just look better and better. And crossgen ports won't look that good comparatively. As programming wiz Emil Persson, now working for Epic, put it, you get a lot more effect out of raising the minimum requirements, which is to say moving towards next gen console only titles, than out of raising the maximum requirments. Which is why you shouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of crossgen titles going from 30 to 60fps, raising settings and resolution, having some sort of HD texture pack, but generally not hitting the same visual bar as next gen only titles.

Last edited:
@Frenetic Pony I dont think that's what they mean. I think they mean cross-platform cross-geneneration, as in available on SeriesX/PS5 and One/PS4. So it's on Current-Gen and Next-Gen but making the most of next-gen.

Edit- oops, should read the question carefully, don't be a dummy like me!

To answer the actual question. The two generations are both x86 from the same CPU and GPU vendor, so just porting it will be fine. But "take advantage" of the next gen consoles?

That's going to take years and years. Figuring out the best streaming schemes for the new SSDs, figuring out raytracing beyond "we made some things reflective", optimizing for the new architecture, for double rate floating point 16bit format, for mesh shaders and variable rate shading and etc. etc.

Just like always games will just look better and better. And crossgen ports won't look that good comparatively. As programming wiz Emil Persson, now working for Epic, put it, you get a lot more effect out of raising the minimum requirements, which is to say moving towards next gen console only titles, than out of raising the maximum requirments. Which is why you shouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of crossgen titles going from 30 to 60fps, raising settings and resolution, having some sort of HD texture pack, but generally not hitting the same visual bar as next gen only titles.

Sure, but PS4Pro and more so XBO-X is not that old so would not cross-gen games be more of a thing and will last longer with next-gen consoles?

It may simply come down to data on the uptake of the next gen as to when companies will cut-off support (after 1 year?). Bioware, for instance, was quite taken unawares at how quickly this past gen was eaten up early on with regards to development considerations for Inquisition (hindsight would have been 20/20 in that case since they eventually released a year into the gen anyway).

My impression was that 4Pro/OneX SKUs did not sell overwhelmingly, and these may be the folks that jump ship first just to get the latest and greatest in power, so they may end up being a moot point when determining continued support for the base consoles instead.

On the other hand, given the economic situation all-around, it's a bit hard to say how quickly things may shift compared to the last time.

Hm.

I think if you made a game for PS5 that used the 3d audio capabilities in a way that steamed lots of high quality audio samples in, saturating the IO of PS5's SSD (when coupled with the rest of the game code), you could port that game to Series Z and use a simplifed audio solution, saving much of that bandwidth, but run the game at higher resolution or settings taking full advantage of Series X's increased TF and memory bandwidth. Much of the game code will be portable without much work because of the shared base of the architectures.

If they use unreal, they probably can relatively easily scale their game up a d down as needed. As long as they didn't leave the design of games for current gen console.

The ue5 demo video feels like a good example for something that can be scaled up and down.

- it still have the annoying slow walk / cramped space for hiding loading in hdd.
- the ridiculous amounts of high detail status can be replaced with low quality models, and only use high quality model for the path that the player took. (unreal have lod generator checkbox)
- the vast and detailed flying sequence can be replaced with low quality assets and fx and it'll be hidden by motion blur and distance.
- the majority of the lights can be baked (disabling dynamic tod).

Back