US Space Force Loses Early Copyright Battle to Netflix’s Space Force

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Trump's Space Force Already Lost Its First Battle
Netflix unfurled its star-studded comedy May 29 and is outmaneuvering the U.S. government to secure trademark rights globally to the armed services name.

But his administration has proven dovish when it comes to protecting the "Space Force" name itself. On May 29, Netflix premiered its comedy series Space Force, from The Office showrunner Greg Daniels and star Steve Carell. The U.S. military has done nothing to stop the streamer’s satirical take, nor could it thanks to the First Amendment. But less noticed is how, around the globe, the streaming giant has outmaneuvered the U.S. government to secure trademark rights to "Space Force" in Europe, Australia, Mexico and elsewhere.

Meanwhile, the Air Force merely owns a pending application for registration inside the United States based on an intent to use. Meaning that the feds have gotten a place in line but no confirmed trademark rights thus far.

That's not necessarily a problem. Netflix can produce a television series without confusing consumers, just as the military can train fighting astronauts without anyone mistakenly thinking the streamer is sponsoring such an academy.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/06/trump-netflix-space-force-copyright/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/trumps-space-force-lost-first-battle-1296939

I don't think it will be an issue, as the article mentions, having the same trademark is not a problem unless there is a substantial chance the average person would confuse between the two.

Take for example Air Force One. You have the plane callsign, which is probably registered by the US Air Force. Air Force One the movie, again, probably registered, and Air Force One the Nike sneaker.

If I were Netflix, I'd also welcomd gladly the use of "Space Force" as the name of an actual military institution. It can only bring good publicity to the show.

Back