Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Then you'd need a hole in the middle of the motherboard, or to change the direction of airflow from the edges and out the V.

Size of the fans determines the height of the raised V section. Two larger fans would mean a taller box.

Those 3 fans only span the raised components: heatsink and PSU. My thinking is two larger fans (in the same position as the three) that run from the bottom to the top of the entire console.

Unless the fan would blow both over and under, be from top to bottom on the side

This.

Then you'd need a hole in the middle of the motherboard, or to change the direction of airflow from the edges and out the V.

Would you? Wouldn't there just need to be vents along the front as well as a bung, or a tiny windbreaker, running the distance from front to back, central-ish?

and out the V.

Ouch.

Isnt the old patent like that?, with holes in the motherboard?. That seems like a more compact solution.

ps5-playstation-5-heatsink-2.original.jpg

"[0074]
 As shown in FIG. 7, the overall width of the three cooling fans 17 (width in the longitudinal direction Dp1 of the power supply unit 20) approximately corresponds to the width (length) Wp2 of the power supply unit 20. Therefore, the entire heat sink 30 can be cooled uniformly. The number of cooling fans 17 is not limited to three. The number of cooling fans 17 may be two, or four or more.
"

Basically, the aspect ratio of the heatsink will determine the number of square fans. They might use this method on the retail version, but with the PSU downstream or upstream instead of separate fans. The interesting thing about the two types of fans is that the PSU ones are flow-optimized (the PSU is not restrictive) while the heatsink one can be pressure optimized because of the restriction. It's expensive but with no cost limit it can use each types at their highest efficiency point. A few more $5 fans doesn't matter for a devkit, it would matter for retail.

Napkin math and rule of thumb sprinkled with generic fans datasheets....
3x generic 70mm at 2300 rpm
60 CFM max flow
2mmH2O max pressure
23 dBa each, so about 30 dBa at full speed (minus case muffling if deep internally)
Maybe 1 inch thick for the best efficiency point
2mm fin spacing = 183000 mm2

Hmmm... no. Moar. We need moar.

Bloodborne Remastered for PS5 & PC doesn’t lessen my skepticism of BC being bare bones. Maybe we won’t see something as cool as FF13’s X1X update. Or maybe Soulsborne is a special case (just like Persona 5...).

Bloodborne never got a PS4 Pro update. It supported the boost mode for steadier framerates at 1080p30 but that's about it, because the game can only use the OG PS4's 18 CUs.
I guess that's the reason they're making a remaster for the PS5. I wonder if Sony will give the remaster for free for people who already own Bloodborne, and make money out of the PC version alone.

It's also an indicator that a Bloodborne 2 might be coming shortly, as Sony claims to be doing these PC ports as marketing pushes for PS5 exclusive sequels.

Personally, I'd rather have them do this for The Order 1886, though I guess Bloodborne caters to a wider audience.

I think it may also be indicative of a broader pattern of bringing PS4 exclusives to PC. Perhaps, from the perspective of PSNow, there's some benefit to running legacy PlayStation content directly on a Windows machine? I suppose, this way, they're able to leverage Microsoft's extensive datacentres without the need to supply hardware.

And in the process of familiarising themselves with DirectX, maybe they'll learn more about abstraction.

"[0074]
 As shown in FIG. 7, the overall width of the three cooling fans 17 (width in the longitudinal direction Dp1 of the power supply unit 20) approximately corresponds to the width (length) Wp2 of the power supply unit 20. Therefore, the entire heat sink 30 can be cooled uniformly. The number of cooling fans 17 is not limited to three. The number of cooling fans 17 may be two, or four or more.
"

Basically, the aspect ratio of the heatsink will determine the number of square fans. They might use this method on the retail version, but with the PSU downstream or upstream instead of separate fans. The interesting thing about the two types of fans is that the PSU ones are flow-optimized (the PSU is not restrictive) while the heatsink one can be pressure optimized because of the restriction. It's expensive but with no cost limit it can use each types at their highest efficiency point. A few more $5 fans doesn't matter for a devkit, it would matter for retail.

Napkin math and rule of thumb sprinkled with generic fans datasheets....
3x generic 70mm at 2300 rpm
60 CFM max flow
2mmH2O max pressure
23 dBa each, so about 30 dBa at full speed (minus case muffling if deep internally)
Maybe 1 inch thick for the best efficiency point
2mm fin spacing = 183000 mm2

Hmmm... no. Moar. We need moar.
I'm guessing Sony built the devkit this way to allow for testing of GPU/CPU settings while keeping the PSU controlled as they finalized the clocks, cooling, power delivery requirements, and retail enclosure shape. It lets you experiment with either domain without significantly influencing the other.

Bloodborne never got a PS4 Pro update. It supported the boost mode for steadier framerates at 1080p30 but that's about it, because the game can only use the OG PS4's 18 CUs.
I guess that's the reason they're making a remaster for the PS5.
I don’t think a PS4 Pro or even PS5 patch warrants a $40+ fee. If a dude can hack in 60fps in his spare time with find & replace.... That said, From is free to do what it wants. Maybe they can use some of the money they make to finally fix their frame-pacing problems, once and for all.

I wonder if Sony will give the remaster for free for people who already own Bloodborne, and make money out of the PC version alone.
I’m not sure Sony could even if they wanted to (I doubt it), considering you can’t buy a digital copy of a disc game that you own and use the same install (i.e., have fun redownloading 100+GBs of GT Sport / most new AAA games). PSN has some (perhaps purposefully) annoying limitations, including not being able to buy a “permanent” license for a game you rent via PS+ while your subscription is active. If Sony could sell you a remaster of the PSN store, they would.

Personally, I'd rather have them do this for The Order 1886, though I guess Bloodborne caters to a wider audience.
That would be cool, but, again, I’d prefer they just bump the res and possibly the refresh rate rather than “remastering” another already pretty good looking game. If they’re going to spend time and money remastering something, DriveClub would be my pick.

I wonder if HZD will be touted as a remaster on PC.

I don’t think a PS4 Pro or even PS5 patch warrants a $40+ fee. If a dude can hack in 60fps in his spare time with find & replace.... That said, From is free to do what it wants. Maybe they can use some of the money they make to finally fix their frame-pacing problems, once and for all.

Hopefully many games would do the basic improvements via the boosted ps4 pro BC compatibility mode. Of course that requires game specific fixes in many cases. Boosted bc mode could easily cover things like higher/more stable framerate/resolution. We had the whole debacle on sony requiring game makers to certify incoming ps4 games also for ps5. This probably has a lot to do with the boosted bc mode(or not)

If the game is poorly done and converting the game from 30fps to 60fps requires extensive modifications to physics, ai, game logic,... then perhaps that's the point where boosted BC mode is not reasonable fix. Issue at that point is in implementation logic and not purely in hw performance. In this case I see it perfectly valid to do remaster and sell the game again. That said remaster should then be done properly and take advantage of the hw capabilities more than just using boosted BC would give. i.e. provide higher fidelity textures, shaders, possibly higher quality models, perhaps use ray tracing for lightning/gi/shadows/reflections/... and so on.

Yes, the market generally works out what works and what doesn't - remembering Bethesda's initial foray into paid DLC with horse armour. :runaway:

I wonder if HZD will be touted as a remaster on PC.
I am curious about the handling. I would not be hugely surprised if in parallel to the PC release, PS5 owners receive basically the same technical improvements in a free patch for their PS4 purchase.

Sometimes you just need to keep hammering the consumer until they give in. Horse Armour was crazy...now we have $80+ in game consumables.

There'll always be people with more money, or a some way of finding money they can't really afford, for play-to-win or other micro-transaction stuff that are important to them, but mercifully we've not seen the wider industry moving to that. Fortunately, a lot of people involved in game design and game monetisation decisions just want to make a good game and may this long continue.

Back