Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I think it'd be a great additional hook for long-term PS fans. A big library of PS titles they could explore and find old, forgotten memories would be an additional cherry/chocolate button on the PS5 cake. As Strange says though, the management of the IP might be too much trouble. Sony won't be able to let people rip their own ISOs.

Although there is the value, maybe, of bringing titles to PSNow. It's a cheaper way to flesh out the library and I think it's done well for Nintendo who have resold the same ageing content every generation.

I think it'd be a great additional hook for long-term PS fans. A big library of PS titles they could explore and find old, forgotten memories would be an additional cherry/chocolate button on the PS5 cake. As Strange says though, the management of the IP might be too much trouble. Sony won't be able to let people rip their own ISOs.

Although there is the value, maybe, of bringing titles to PSNow. It's a cheaper way to flesh out the library and I think it's done well for Nintendo who have resold the same ageing content every generation.
What does the trouble entail? Cant we just pop in our PS1 disks and play? Or just purchase super cheap old PS1 games in PS Store like we could on the PS3, PSP and Vita?

Getting titles on the store is the tricky bit as has been described quite a few times already. ;) There are licensing issues and you need the publisher/rights holder to still exist. Reading CDs would a safe way to enable BC but Sony haven't gone that way with PS1 on PS4 where they could have.

Getting titles on the store is the tricky bit as has been described quite a few times already. ;) There are licensing issues and you need the publisher/rights holder to still exist. Reading CDs would a safe way to enable BC but Sony haven't gone that way with PS1 on PS4 where they could have.
Getting bc for ps1-3 would have to be done "out of the goodness of Sony's heart". Sure as hell wouldn't make them money in the short term. Do it as "good guys Sony"and hope it pays off in the long term.

Getting bc for ps1-3 would have to be done "out of the goodness of Sony's heart". Sure as hell wouldn't make them money in the short term. Do it as "good guys Sony"and hope it pays off in the long term.
That. Sure, it wouldn't yield more money for them, but we're talking about old and very very old games, too, for which they made a lot of money.

A new PS BC with all previous consoles (well, maybe do a special thing with PS4 titles, since they're more recent) would be awesome and a very nice selling point.

I think it'd be a great additional hook for long-term PS fans. A big library of PS titles they could explore and find old, forgotten memories would be an additional cherry/chocolate button on the PS5 cake..
Nah screw that.
Just bring me new games instead.

Bringing new games instead can't be an additional hook because that's already present. And I doubt the cost of BC would cover even one small original title. Given PS5 already getting great next-gen games, I think BC going back to PS1 will be a nice extra hook. Mum/Dad showing the kids what they used to play, for example. Possibly even track play of these titles and look for opportunities for remakes if some titles prove popular.

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search...0111274&tab=PCTBIBLIO&_cid=P22-KB0P9W-02071-1

Patent about devkit cooling system

An electronic device (10) has a plurality of cooling fans (15) for supplying air to a heat sink (30). The plurality of cooling fans (15) create air flows (Fh) that pass through the heat sink (30) from a first side (H1) of the heat sink (30) toward a second side (H2) of the heat sink (30). The heat sink (30) is disposed oblique to the left-right direction and the front-rear direction of the electronic device (10). An exterior member (40) has an intake port (41i) formed along the first side (H1) of the heat sink (30) and oblique to the front-rear direction and the left-right direction.

RmjtB3z.png

Last edited:
Am I reading that correctly, left "wing" had the actual cooling for stuff and the right one PSU?

Funnelling all the heat from the two wings into one central spot (the V at the front), looks like it would benefit with an additional seventh fan to blow that heat further away.

What exactly does the patent cover? Like, everything in that description is just cooling 101.

Funnelling all the heat from the two wings into one central spot (the V at the front), looks like it would benefit with an additional seventh fan to blow that heat further away.
Back to front. This is the more descriptive image.

upload_2020-6-4_13-32-57.png

Looks like Sony are trying to maximise forward propulsion. Maybe it comes on wheels and follows you around the house? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the one hand, they've patented a dev kit before (4Pro), on the other hand, the publication date coincides with the (now-delayed) PS5 show.

On the one hand, they've patented a dev kit before (4Pro), on the other hand, the publication date coincides with the (now-delayed) PS5 show.
Well, they haven't shown the devkit before (leaks don't count), maybe the plan was to show games running on the actual devkit in the event?

There’s SEVEN fans??? Jesus!

It opens a wormhole to other planets. o_O

Well, they haven't shown the devkit before (leaks don't count), maybe the plan was to show games running on the actual devkit in the event?

mm... I guess so. It just seems odd to not just bring out the actual retail design at all. For a live stream, they don't have to worry about sneaky press photos. Even for stage demos, they wouldn't need to show the unit connected to the screen.

"Surprise! It's the dev kit, but not the retail one"

"Oh.......kay."

xD

Back