The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Honestly, I think Joel's face changed slightly. Pity they couldn't make it like the first one where he looks regretful or at a loss. New version he looks stern, like he is got something to prove.
Yes, that's quite a surprising difference to his face from one model/engine to the other. The lighting is what really stands out, going back to the TLoU you really how harsh it could be.

They adjusted the motion matching. Good thing too...not accounting for gameplay over unneccesary non cancellable animations gets you an rdr2 level issue

He seems to look less built. Maybe that was meant to make him seem older, and past his prime, but than it does seem odd when those changes persist on the flashback recreations of the first game. The lips are the most easy to point out difference on the side-by-side. TLoU1 you can see his mouth better, while in 2 it's more covered by his beard and he's got a bit of a sorowful turtle beak thing going on.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/01/last-us-part-2-hands-preview-love-hate-seattle-12787736/
It’s easily the best-looking game of the current generation, even more so than Uncharted 4, with the best foliage and facial animation we’ve ever seen. Playing on a PS4 Pro there’s been only a few brief seconds of slowdown, with performance otherwise exceptionally good for such a complex game.
The visuals in The Last Of Us Part 2 are so good you’d at first think it puts a dampener on the PlayStation 5,
Oh boy are we in for a treat, it's well and truly the TLOU 2 Foliage edition isn't it!

oAPm7a6.jpg
I need variation of 'Loved you in Wall street' in Tlou2.

GameInformer have a have an interesting article titled '15 Things I Learned From Two Hours Playing The Last Of Us Part II' including how much flexibility you have in tuning the difficult.

The way difficulty was handled in the original game was one of the only things that I really didn't like about it, because ramping up difficulty deprived you of resources meaning your options for survival were narrowed down to more and more stealth. The organic choice of tackling encounters at lower difficulties, where combat was viable because you had more resources, gradually eroded:

GameInformer said:
Difficulty is highly customizable. I played through the hospital infiltration on a few different challenge settings, and the gulf between them is noticeable. However, you aren’t bound to defined modes like easy, normal, or hard; you can also fine-tune specific elements of the experience, like how much damage Ellie takes, how perceptive enemies are, and how plentiful resources are in the world.

I'm very glad to see such a different approach here. Plus lots of other interesting tidbits and no spoilers.

And those are things that got tons of manual "touch up" from the artists, within the limits of PS4 performance. ND really are filled with crazy talented and hard working people
Yes that's right. Also don't forget about the programmers and engineers, you can't render them with such quality if the engine isn't cutting edge. Like DF has mentioned, it's super difficult to do all those indirect lighting correctly yet ND pulled it off in spades.

For me that cgi looks worse than the ingame character models. Same sense of visual loss i got from looking at the ff7r ingame models versus the visual works cgi....we are reaching the point even in this gen where approximations of stylized realism in realtime work better than overly clean cgi

The lightning and environment detail in the promo is phenomenal, we'll see if new generation can come close to it.

CGI trailer on a channel called 'gameplay only' huh? We can but dream of that quality for a next-gen title.
A hypothetical The Order 1887 would look on par with it if they focus everything on visuals in a confined play area. Hell Tlou2's cutscene already look damn close at times.

In the European version of the CGI trailer, Ellie uses knife at the end. I think that version is a bit better, when she gathers the will to attack them with only a knife.

All this new coverage has completely flipped me back from being more interested in playing Ghosts.

I'm an open world game guy, I love being in a big, interesting open space and seeing something on the horizon and going there and exploring. It's why I love GTA, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Far Cry, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man. I'm also a post-apocalyptic guy and I like survival games, I like fighting against the environment just to not die, using what I can scavenge to improve my chances, by using combat and smarts but where it's me deciding which tactics to employ and not where the game designer says here is a combat section, here is a stealth section.

I absolutely loved The Last of Us; the mechanics at the time were great, the writing was great, the story was great but I've not been hugely drawn to just playing more of The Last of Us, in part because I think the original story ended perfectly. But having seen all the official and unofficial coverage, particular several journalists thoughts having played 2 hours of specific gameplay, this is not The Last of Us, this is a very different based on the same core concepts. Several journalists (and DF) have mentioned Tomb Raider's wide open hub areas, some have hinted at these evolving over time and confirm that the environment is so big you need that horse to get around.

This game looks so my jam and it looks full of those moments like when in the first game you find yourself alone in a dark basement, which was terrifyingly good.

Come on 19th June.. come on..

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it been confirmed that the game will run at 1440p resolution? I'm a little disappointed if that's the case, considering we're at the end of the PS4 life cycle and Naughty Dog are known for pushing the limit of what the console could handle. TLOU remastered had a 2160p option...heck I will take 1800p @30fps. Both Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy missed out on this mark. Anyway, does anyone know if there will be a performance/resolution setting of any kind?

Despite that, I'm looking forward to release day and I'm sure everything else about the game will be awesome. I love Naughty Dog's art direction+gameplay mechanics in their games and this one looks to be the pinnacle of of their achievement. I've just completed Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (finally), and oh my, this game is absolutely gorgeous...some parts even better then Uncharted 4. I think I've wasted more time take pictures of different vistas then actually playing the game. Totally underrated and I enjoy it more then Uncharted 4.

Back