The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Space Force 1st episode.... uuuuuuhhh no idea what this show is trying to do. It seems to be trying to imitate something like a modern Naked Gun style humor, but minus the humor. I literally came away with nothing from watching it, other than maybe confusion.

Netflix's series Space Force.

I have watched the 4 first episodes and I have questions. When Naird says they are moving to Colorado his wife starts crying and in the next episode years have suddenly passed and his wife Maggie is in jail. Wait what?

I like the absurdity of it though. The interaction between scientists backed by facts and well, science, and the military chain of command. The pissing contests amongst themselves about rank and power, to elected congress members who highlights the stupidity in bringing religion and lack of facts into politics. It hardly feels like parody because it hits a bit too close for comfort.

I have watched the 4 first episodes and I have questions. When Naird says they are moving to Colorado his wife starts crying and in the next episode years have suddenly passed and Wait what?

I have those same questions. I'm only an episode or two ahead of that point. I dont know if that's a setup for a joke at the end of the season or if it's a even longer build up.

As to the comedy style, it reminds me of Dinner with Smucks. That is to say, I can't say it's a comedy style for everyone or even tell if you will enjoy it or not. But then again I never saw the draw to the American version of The Office and tons of people thought that was hilarious.

As to the parody aspect, like you said it hits too close to US system for comfort (sad state of affairs). As one recent Netflix comedy special said (Patton Oswalt?), this Administration is like a trainwreck with monkeys and poop where you can't add anything to make it a good comedy statement.

There are some aspects which work and some laughs which were great for me. For genuine comedy laughs, that's what the other standup specials are for.

I'm liking it and hating it, if that makes sense. It's got a lot of great, but some stupid in it too.

Finished the first five and agree with the, "Wait, what?", but figure the payoff will be coming. :)

Def worth watching just for John Malkovich, is he amazing in everything he does or is it just me?

binged space force. Turns out the "space" episodes are only very few. Most of the episodes are "filler" episodes that seems to try to "expand" the characterization of some characters.

I liked the "space" episodes. the stupidity, the facepalm decisions and politics, etc.

That's like saying NCIS is 99.9% filler because there's very few actual "Navy" episodes.

dunno have never watched NCIS. But on space force the majority of those "filler" episodes can be skipped and it wont affect anything other than getting even more confused/baffled/LOLed at one of the "yelling" scene from two big-shots like kids. Maybe also making you keep thinking "uh, i think i missed the why-his-wife-is-in-prison plot in those episodes i skipped".

Btw almost none of the characters got any character development in the end. They are still the same character you already know in the early episodes. Maybe thats one of the joke. there are many subtle jokes, at least... i think they were jokes...

Last edited:
Here's some hints to you orangelupa...

I'm watching the series Space Force. Turns out the "force" episodes are none existent. Not a single one deals with the force. All of the episodes are entirely filler.

There is no character development, if you ignore it all. Ignore the character development of the General
to trust his non-military background chief scientist and his evolution away from his Military ways of massive retaliation with massive escalation or evolution to valuing his daughter more where he risks a lot to come to her rescue.

The series is about "Space Force", a newly formed branch of the US Military. It's not about "Force". It's not about "Space". It is about "Space Force". Space Force includes the personnel, the people of that service and their various interactions.​

I liked Space Force, binged it in two nights. For me 10 episodes is too short to enter these people lives. Malkovitch is great.
Is it as strong as the Office ? No, but the first season of the Office was not perfect either.
About the space argument, I couldn't care less about it, it's all about the characters

from what i watched its all of them. Like in one of the episode with power-pants, its a comedy, and satire, and scifi, and LOLs. Various inaccuracies in the show also feels like it was a deliberate joke.

about character development, thats why i said most. not all.
The series is a mix of "standalones" for each episode and "story arc" where the development and story were not left only inside an episode but bleeds into other episodes. Things (character developments, etc) that happens in standalones didn't get reflected in other episodes. Most of the "Development" with the one-star general, and the marketing guy are in these standalone episodes. So on the next episode, its as if everything on the previous "standalone" episode didnt happen. They will be their usual self.

THe main character and the head scientist on the other hand keeps getting character development and if you skip them, various "important" scenes, including a scene where two adults were "yelling" could have different impact. It could be even more confusing/baffling/hilarious. The show also keeps making joke of missing story elements with the way they handle the wife story.

3 episodes into Space Force. It's fun but I also don't get what they're trying to do.
Too serious to be looney satire, too comedic to be serious.

I watched the special episode of Mythic Quest today ... it was very good! A very nice take on the lockdown.

Back