Minecraft Dungeons [XO, PC, PS4, NX, XGP]

Kinda want a horde / tower defense where you gather resources and build a fort during the day (recipe'd structures and defenses to streamline flow while unlocking the designs based on level/score?), and then defend from the zombies etc. at night. :oops:

Something a little more creative maybe.

Kinda want a horde / wave defense where you gather resources and build a fort during the day (say preset structures and defenses to streamline flow), and then defend from the zombies etc. at night. :oops:
You mean like Fortnite? Before it became known for Battle Royale only?

You mean like Fortnite? Before it became known for Battle Royale only?
Hush you. :p I've never actually played Fortnite, but I guess that makes sense. xD

---

Co-op wave modes just feels like it hasn't been done well or pushed creatively in the right direction over the years. Gears 5 had a disastrous set of changes that didn't gel well with base-building (IMO). Their co-op Escape has an awful premise, and doesn't take advantage of established lore (why not have a mutant berserker chase the trio through a level?).

Mass Effect 3 handled it pretty well with the interaction between character classes making cooperation required rather than just 4 super heroes fighting individual battles in the same instance. I'm guessing Andromeda was more bogged down by reactions to the SP, but my 5 minutes of the UI made me choke on hyper lootbox progression (moreso than ME3).

Anyways, I digress, but I figured base building mode would go along well with Minecraft's creative beginnings. :)

---

idk, I feel like heading back to Path of Exile for this sort of gameplay. :p

Last edited:
Made it to level 10. Good times. Really enjoying it. I think I have about 2/3 levels left to complete the campaign.
The item/builds are a lot of fun. Lots of options, each weapon is worth exploring and looking at before discarding.

Turns out this game using unreal engine. But no ray tracing option :(

Some bugs I've read
* wiping whole drive when uninstalling (fixed in hours after release)
* game crash when left idle (sent to background on Xbox, Nintendo Switch sleep)

Bug I've encountered:
* cannot alt tab back and forth on boot (when various logo showed on screen)

I had the game idling at the start screen for hours on release day without any crash, maybe because it wasn't inside a game level.

It'll be a couch-coop title for me when Lockdown is no more. I asked for feedback at EG. Word is it's simple and entertaining but short, though with a few replays, and possibly on the easy side as these games oft are, not allowing harder modes until easy mode has been passed. I wonder if that's a designer contrivance to force 'replayability'?

So last night I played the first level & got to camp. I knew it was isometric & figured it wouldn't bother me since I figured the camera could still be rotated, but alas that's not the case. :( I'm an explorer & I visit every inch of a map as I go. So while exploring there's a lot of the scene that's obscured & I can't rotate the camera to get a better view. Needless to say it's little disconcerting. I'm sure I will get used to it, but if I can't get my friends to play co-op I'm not sure if I will finish it by myself. :(

BTW anybody compare performance on X1X vs X1S? Think XSX version might get ray/path tracing?

Tommy McClain

You can adjust the difficulty of every mission, but it ranges from default selection of being either on par to being overpowered to being underpowered by various power levels. Like my next mission selection I could run where I'm about 1 level higher or being 4 levels under or being 9 levels under.

they have a lot of work ahead of them:
  1. They need to mix couch co-op with online play
  2. They need cross saves/progression
  3. They need cross play
  4. Switch version is totally borked from what I understand, performance is dismal.

They may bring in RT, but it will be UE5' implementation of it, which may not be as optimized as it needs to be. Just click a few check boxes etc, but it's a big project to convert it over. I don't know what version of UE4 they started with.

As this isn't the norm for most of their 1P titles which have been supporting this.
I suspect this is on the list of things to do.

I like the game, it's passable (if you aren't on switch) as a launch. But it's got a long way to go to achieve the greatness of it's name.

Switch version is totally borked from what I understand, performance is dismal.
people say the single player performance is okay, but the coop performance is dismal indeed.

THose with hacked switch probably can simply OC their GPU or CPU tho. As currently it already can run in 60 FPS on switch with OC, according to the modder.

I wish there was a different button for using any picked up TNT than the same button for firing your ranged weapon (bow/crossbow). So many wasted TNT opportunities because I was trying to use the bow instead.

How did people finish this game in 3 hrs? I’m level 25. And I can’t solo the last boss yet. So close. And yet. So far.

I got my ass kicked on phase 2 of the final boss. I was only level 22 going into it way underpowered and it wouldn't let me select any lower. I replayed other levels and now at level 25, but there is no way I can survive the second phrase. When the beams go through their motion I run out of platform area and can't move out of the way any more.

I'm going to have to go back to the first level and play through it all again to get more levels and better equipment with more suitable enchantments. I'll probably boost up to level 32+ then try final area at the lowest level allowed.

Maybe a team up is needed, but the boss gets tougher with more players too.

I got my ass kicked on phase 2 of the final boss. I was only level 22 going into it way underpowered and it wouldn't let me select any lower. I replayed other levels and now at level 25, but there is no way I can survive the second phrase. When the beams go through their motion I run out of platform area and can't move out of the way any more.

I'm going to have to go back to the first level and play through it all again to get more levels and better equipment with more suitable enchantments. I'll probably boost up to level 32+ then try final area at the lowest level allowed.

Maybe a team up is needed, but the boss gets tougher with more players too.
I beat him at level 22 with a lama.

So I read some advice that said that when you're looking for better gear, to wear whatever gives you the highest power levels as that lets you into the higher difficulty which gives you better gear. Previously I was using gear I liked but they had lower power level so I wasn't finding any better gear. I started getting some real nice gear in the mid 30s when I was below character level 29. As I leveled up by running through for better gear and getting higher levels, some gear started having higher level of enchantments.

I finished the game solo on the first play through by selecting the difficulty level 1 down [22] when it suggested I do the highest [29]. I cheesed the final boss second phase by heading into the top right side so he was off the screen and then using arrows. It seems like he wont chase after you if he can't see you on the screen! Each hit of my charge arrow was doing 287 damage, that seemed close to a full health bar section! Very much different fight from when I went in a few days back.

I was tinkering with different weapons and enchantments today.

One interesting combo is a unique Harp Crossbow that has "even more projectiles" built in enchantment so it has 5 bolts instead of the standard 3. The one available enchantment was Fuse Shot, that has a timed charge that explodes one second after impact. At level 1 it triggers every 5th shot. With this setup, the fuse shot triggers on ever single pull of the trigger. It must count each bolt as a separate shot.

Using Fireworks Arrow with multi-shot crossbows works the same way, with multiple explosions.

Back