Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it would have been interesting to do a resolution option as well for base consoles (720/900p?). They mention a temporal upscaler too, so that would have been neat for image quality comparisons. At least they have the 30fps limiter included for the future (and consistency for the PS4/4Pro). Maybe they'll have an update roll out for 4k60 on next gen?

Wonder if they'll bother with SRIV next - lots of shared assets, but the game wasn't received as well I don't think (I got a kick out of it personally, but anyways).

I see Shaundi has been enhanced. :sly:

Article format:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...aints-row-the-third-remastered-is-exceptional

The vanilla Xbox One and PlayStation 4 operate at native 1080p, while their enhanced equivalents bump the pixel count to 1440p. Out of the box, the game runs at a capped 30 frames per second, with correct frame-pacing, backed by a nice motion blur implementation that gives the impression of a very smooth level of performance overall. All versions are typically locked, with only Xbox One S occasionally dipping beneath the target.

A system called LSTV (large scale texture variations) is used to eliminate the 'tiling' effect when looking across vistas. On top of that, there are more cars and people wandering the city streets - another way in which overall density is improved. Vehicles are remade, weapons are improved, particle effects are better, with improved lighting.

The new global illumination system is radically transformative, simulating light reflection and bounce while ambient occlusion is taken care of using a mixture of pre-computed AO 'baked' into the artwork in combination with SSAO and ambient obscurance. Even volumetric lighting is implemented along with support for post-process effects including depth of field, blur, LUTs, chromatic aberration and the aforementioned film grain. You'll also notice a substantial upgrade to reflections too, with both planar and screen-space varieties used.

Last edited:
yeah. Kanye may be dead to me at this point but the song still hits as the day i first heard it in that trailer back then.

ALso...get this studio on every remaster if possible...we need more of them and bluepoint and such and less the cheap poorly paid studios pubs force as their manufacturers of easy recurrent revenue

they should do a 1080p mode for PS4 pro to hit 60fps
What this shows is that the 1X when locked to 30fps is severely underutilized. Could almost double the resolution and have a locked 30fps.
It's so close to a locked 60 when framerate is unlocked, even next gen is almost a waste in that mode.

Probably wouldn't have been hard to have the following modes actually:
1800p30 locked and unlocked (better yet 4k unlocked but whatever)
1200p60 locked
(resolution is just for point not done the maths)

Last edited:

they should do a 1080p mode for PS4 pro to hit 60fps

It's possible that it may be limited by the CPU enough that 60 FPS wasn't possible. Open world plus plenty of NPCs would make for a larger than usual CPU load for a game.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a version for next gen that ups the FPS to 60 or 120 due to the much more capable CPUs.

Regards,
SB

As they say in the faceoff, it's more a GPU limit. That's why xbx can sustain 60fps a lot more often, as they run at same res on both. So having a 1080p mode on Pro could make it reach 60fps most of the time.

It's a 30% increase in CPU clocks between base and mid-gen, though what's perhaps telling is that PS4 can be in the mid-40s while XO is hovering at 30, which indicates near-linear scaling to flops.

4Pro is hovering near the same framerates (if not a tiny bit worse) as the base console at 1.78x the pixels with 2.3x shading, which is interesting in itself when considering bandwidth. It's a nice overhead for a solid 30fps although I wonder if there's any additional setting that they could still afford during the worst case and still hit 30.

Similarly, OneX is at ~4.5x OneS although it's hard to gauge its true maximums because of the 60fps ceiling.

There are certainly some framerate dips during travel that could be I/O or CPU-related.

----

This close to next-gen, you'd kind of hope they'll have a patch to increase to native 4K.

I hope DF briefly look at Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition on Switch but I'm sure it'll be similar to XC2, neither of which I've played but I've kind gotten into JRPGs and when I'm done with FF XII, and TLoU2, I'm eyeing up XC DE on Switch.

I hope DF briefly look at Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition on Switch but I'm sure it'll be similar to XC2, neither of which I've played but I've kind gotten into JRPGs and when I'm done with FF XII, and TLoU2, I'm eyeing up XC DE on Switch.

Pretty similar to Xenoblade Chronicle 2. Its weird that Monolithsoft changed their approach so much going from Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U. Chronicles X was 720p and a solid 30fps, but they chose to fake and bake a lot more of the effects rather than implementing the more demanding real time implementation. With Chronicles 2, they decided to go a different route and use the more demanding options, and as we saw, it caused some pretty poor image quality, especially in portable play. Xenoblade Chronicles DE was porting using the 2's engine, and it suffers from similar image quality issues. I would have preferred a cleaner image with less bells and whistles. Still looking forward to playing it, but I cant help but feel that a more straight forward upres to 1080p of the Wii original with spruced up textures and the upgraded UI would have been preferable.

Base consoles + Switch = 30fps target, intermittent frame spikes/frame pacing issue on XO and Switch, less on PS4.
OneX & 4Pro = holds 60fps with the odd frame spike. No frame pacing issue seen.

Switch - dynamic 720p undocked & 1080p docked, lower quality shadows, no bloom?, lower water surface quality.
base consoles - dynamic, but mostly 1080p?

1296p-1350p (?) measured on 4Pro - wonder if they just have an upper limit of 1440p.
1620p-2160p measured on OneX

Last edited:

Pretty rough. Framerate tanks during combat, and texture detail is reduced drastically. Compared to the Witcher 3 port, this falls well short. Switch has proven to get an excellent platform to port previous generation games to. Borderlands and Bioshock have recently released, and turned in excellent results. We have seen some good conversions of current gen games, but we have also seen plenty of games turn out like Outer Worlds, and that just doesnt look like it would be an enjoyable experience on Switch. Its a bad looking Switch game. Forget comparing it to the PS4 and X1, this looks bad compared to Skyrim on Switch.

Pretty rough. Framerate tanks during combat, and texture detail is reduced drastically. Compared to the Witcher 3 port, this falls well short. Switch has proven to get an excellent platform to port previous generation games to. Borderlands and Bioshock have recently released, and turned in excellent results. We have seen some good conversions of current gen games, but we have also seen plenty of games turn out like Outer Worlds, and that just doesnt look like it would be an enjoyable experience on Switch. Its a bad looking Switch game. Forget comparing it to the PS4 and X1, this looks bad compared to Skyrim on Switch.
lol.
well @DSoup there is the your I/O re-write that is needed lol

Can Switch games get better I/O perf by splitting the data between a “cart” and onboard/SD storage?

tldw; terrible pop-in and i/o performance.
I didn't watch the whole video, I'd seen enough after about ten minutes. Wow, the utter lack of model details low textures and those über slow LOD pop-in for the sign. Holy crap balls. I don't think it's necessarily I/O related, as in the hardware, as DF had the exact same performance across four NSW units on both internal and external memory and you almost always get a difference internal storage and card.

It's UE4 so maybe it's that issue with UE that you and BRiT were discussing in t'other thread?

I still can't get out how bad it looks. Just.. :no:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back