Community Poll: What color will Sony PS5 be?

What color will the launch model PS5 be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Changed my vote to matching the "standard" white+black DualSense, as that seems pretty obvious to me at this point.

Should we edit everyone's vote to that option? TBH I think that's cheating. Everyone should be wrong except those who said "other" and described B&W in the thread!

Edit : I might flip-flop back to black. The controllers stylings aren't a great fit for most home CE setups. The shown controller might be a limited edition console going for impact, where the main console is more conservative for those who like the look of the B&W but realise it'd clash in their home.

Vote changing was already allowed on the poll. It's on them to participate and change their vote. Otherwise they are obviously wrong.

I voted black before the DualSense controller reveal. I think they'll lead with white with a black console offering later.

Should we edit everyone's vote to that option? TBH I think that's cheating. Everyone should be wrong except those who said "other" and described B&W in the thread!

Edit : I might flip-flop back to black. The controllers stylings aren't a great fit for most home CE setups. The shown controller might be a limited edition console going for impact, where the main console is more conservative for those who like the look of the B&W but realise it'd clash in their home.

The base version might be Black with White accents rather than the controller's White with Black accents.

I could see them releasing...
  • Standard - Black with White (maybe blue) accents.
  • Limited - similar to controller reveal.
Leaving my vote on Black. Anyone who changes their vote are cheating pussies. :p I made my guess when the poll was created and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Had someone guessed the 2/3 tone color scheme of the controller reveal back then, kudos to them. Everyone else who changed their vote? I'm going to consider them as being wrong. :)

Regards,
SB

I considered whether they chose to show a white controller (we've seen black DualSense controllers) purely because it provides better contrast of the design. But I think Sony are going white for launch this time.

Do you think they are going to violate the unwritten rule of bland CE boxes and produce a design that'll look out of place among hifi units?

That said, is the CE situation even a thing any more. We know longer have DVD, amp, hifi, VCR, sky-box, console in a CE stack. With Smart TVs and small dongles, I think the only box anyone has is an old DVR/disc player, amp, and Sky-box hype thing. Perhaps consoles are free to be stand-alone entities visible next to the TV? Maybe I'd better flip back!

I voted black my reasoning

PlayStation was grey and it had massive issues with its cd drive which seems largely forgotten but it happened pre internet. The PS2 did have disc drive issues but to a lesser extent. So it seems like black has been decent to them with just fan noise issues on the playstations of late

Do you think they are going to violate the unwritten rule of bland CE boxes and produce a design that'll look out of place among hifi units?

Apart from their handhelds I've not really liked the aesthetics of any of the PlayStation consoles. The original PlayStation was that horrid grey, I think PS2 was the least terrible although the non-symmetrical design looked better vertical rather than horizontal. The PS3 was just awful-looking and became covered in fingerprints long before you'd even plugged it in. PS4 is just dull but I'm not a fan of the angled front and back as it makes the console take up a slightly larger footprint and it's a bit of a squeeze in my media centre which I suspect will need replacing for PS5, PSVR/PSVR2 and XSX, along with my Switch and MacMini (running Kodi).

For PS5 I'm expecting something a bit more conventional, but also quite dull.

Had someone guessed the 2/3 tone color scheme of the controller reveal back then, kudos to them. Everyone else who changed their vote? I'm going to consider them as being wrong. :)

Lol, fair enough. It's why I felt the need to clarify my first choice of black. I felt guilty changing it. :runaway:

Apart from their handhelds I've not really liked the aesthetics of any of the PlayStation consoles. The original PlayStation was that horrid grey, I think PS2 was the least terrible although the non-symmetrical design looked better vertical rather than horizontal. The PS3 was just awful-looking and became covered in fingerprints long before you'd even plugged it in. PS4 is just dull but I'm not a fan of the angled front and back as it makes the console take up a slightly larger footprint and it's a bit of a squeeze in my media centre which I suspect will need replacing for PS5, PSVR/PSVR2 and XSX, along with my Switch and MacMini (running Kodi).

For PS5 I'm expecting something a bit more conventional, but also quite dull.
I found the launch PS4 beautiful. Didn't really care for any other console design they made including the pro and slim, it was pretty much boring functional design and cost reduction with only ABS all around. Losing the 2 tones made them look like a brick. PS2 was original which is cool, but weird looking.

Still think the gamecube is the best console design on nintendo's side, and the slim xb1 on MS side.

Back