Phablet is dead?

I've never quite gotten the raison d'être of phablets. It strikes me as somewhat of a fad, or simply a niche market that was expected to be bigger than it was. Heck, my Iphone 7+ is teetering on being far to big for me as far as phones go. I suspect that the folding revolution will be the solution for those who want a bigger device that also works as their phone. Possibly as a replacement for a majority of Android tablets really. It's got a 2-in-1 advantage the phablets "jack of all trades, master of none" approach never really held in my view.

i almost never used my phone for phone, maybe thats why i prefer phablet because it have big/chunky screen instead of tall (like phones)

I've never quite gotten the raison d'être of phablets. It strikes me as somewhat of a fad, or simply a niche market that was expected to be bigger than it was. Heck, my Iphone 7+ is teetering on being far to big for me as far as phones go. I suspect that the folding revolution will be the solution for those who want a bigger device that also works as their phone. Possibly as a replacement for a majority of Android tablets really. It's got a 2-in-1 advantage the phablets "jack of all trades, master of none" approach never really held in my view.
Its simple

People have limited budgets. A lot of the carriers in the states offer financing for 2 years on a phone where your monthly payment is rolled into the plan and you make a simple monthly plan. Some companies allow you to rent a phone where you pay more per month but you upgrade every year. Most tablets don't have an option for that. Sure you can get a free older one on some carriers when you get a data plan but then the plan is most likely tied to that device and its an older tablet well past its prime.

So for a person do you buy one larger phone that you use every day all day and upgrade every 1-2 years or do you get a smaller phone and use the left over budget to get a dedicated tablet. Then the tablet needs to either use wifi , tethering or have its own data plan. Now when you want a larger screen do you bring your tablet with you every where just in case ? Do you get a smaller tablet or a bigger tablet? A smaller tablet isn't much further from in size from some of the larger phones and then a big 10 inch or bigger tablet is well big.

A lot of people I know simply buy a larger phone and either have skipped out on a traditional tablet and either have ipad pros or a surface device that comes with them when they know they might need it like a vacation or to the office or they buy a typical android or ios tablet and just hold on to it longer. The majority of people I know with a regular ipad or android tablet or even fire tablet are parents who got them for their kids as a bridge between having them use and destroy their phone and buying the kid their own phone. Most kids get a phone between 10 and 12 in the states now judging on my 6 nieces and nephews and some of my older cousins who have kids in their young teens. So it looks like from 4-9 they get cheap tablets and then transition to a phone and in highschool they get a pro device like an ipad or surface or a traditional laptop of some kind.

For me I love larger phones , its easier for me to type with my large fingers and fits better in my larger hands. However the folding devices be it a folding display or dual screen are interesting to me. Because I can regain pocket space but still keep the larger screen size. The duo sadly is out since it looks like it wont have nfc and I need that for my cgm. But my friend had the newer galaxy that folds in half height wise and I really liked it

Oh certainly there is an economic aspect, and I totally understand the dynamics of ownership you're talking about. But I feel I need to clarify a little bit. I was writing with what I believe OP had in mind when talking about "phablets". Most phones today are basically classified as one of those. When I say phablet I'm thinking primarily of phones with squarer ≥16:10 aspect ratios. I can certainly see why people like bigger phones, but the squarer aspect ratio phones have rather died. It's anecdotal, but I only ever saw some original Notes and the occasional Huawei Note equivalent briefly when they were launched. These days I normally see large size 16:9 or taller aspect ratio phones like the Galaxy S10 or iPhone XS Max however, and I think that's here to stay.

No, the wider aspect ratio and the tablet like utility it brings I think we'll only see more of with folding phones. And I can totally see that from a practicality and cost standpoint.

Oh certainly there is an economic aspect, and I totally understand the dynamics of ownership you're talking about. But I feel I need to clarify a little bit. I was writing with what I believe OP had in mind when talking about "phablets". Most phones today are basically classified as one of those. When I say phablet I'm thinking primarily of phones with squarer ≥16:10 aspect ratios. I can certainly see why people like bigger phones, but the squarer aspect ratio phones have rather died. It's anecdotal, but I only ever saw some original Notes and the occasional Huawei Note equivalent briefly when they were launched. These days I normally see large size 16:9 or taller aspect ratio phones like the Galaxy S10 or iPhone XS Max however, and I think that's here to stay.

No, the wider aspect ratio and the tablet like utility it brings I think we'll only see more of with folding phones. And I can totally see that from a practicality and cost standpoint.

Yeah I mean those phones with chunky screen instead of tall. Sure the tall ones are better for watching wide-screen movies but I'll use my TV with surround sound for watching movies.

For other stuff the tall screen are actually more annoying to use. For example, wanna drag the notification bar? It's waaaaaay up high. Same with chrome address bar, hamburger button on many apps, etc.

Tall screens are awesome for reading webtoon tho

Back