Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Just tried to find the demo on the PS store. Either it's not yet available in the UK or I'm being a plant pot. I'll have a look again after I've exercised.

tried it
they did a good job with the poor tracking of moves and PSVR, but the cable is very annoying with this type of game.

I think the cable's a pain in the arse all the time. I really hope PSVR2 is wireless.

The main things the platform needs IMO:
  • Wireless! Being tethered to the same room as the console is fine, but physically tethered to the console is not. I don't even mind having to stay in the sight of the camera, just as long as there's nothing for me to trip over or yank.
  • A single USB type C port at the rear of the headband, for an external battery pack or straightforward audio/video.
  • 4K screen. The 1080p screen split down the middle is very sensible on Sony's part, and supersampling helps with the low resolution, but it's still very low resolution and the PS5 can more than handle a split 4K screen.
  • Eye tracking. Potentially useful as a gameplay input, but mostly used for foveated rendering. It'll be a big help in giving the platform legs, as such techniques are only going to improve as time goes on.
  • IP distance adjustments. This is the least likely, I reckon. If it would be too costly to include this in a base unit, I'd appreciate it if at least the lens part was modular: let me swap out the static lens unit with an adjustable one. Maybe even an adjustable one with prescription lenses. Fertile ground for accessories IMO. Who wouldn't want to keep a backup lens unit in case the originals get scratched?
That's about all I'd want for the headset to rectify my issues with PSVR1. If it could perform inside out tracking for both itself and two motion controllers, that'd be perfection IMO.

It's more fanciful, but such inbuilt functionality would make it a great fit for another PSTV type device: a PSTV2 using the architectural building blocks of the PS5: 12GB 14gb/s GDDR6, 3GHz Zen2, 24CU's * 1300MHz = 4TF. Release it in 2023, once BC hiccups have been fixed. Primarily a PS4 Micro, but also the baseline for PSVR2 exclusives (e.g. a game that can't be played on the PS4/Pro+PSVR1 combo.) Rather than develop and push a new handheld, just piggy back on the strength of the PS4 and the ubiquity of the number of existing devices capable of Remote Play.

Strap the PSTV2 and it's battery cradle to your waist, plug them into the PSVR2 headset, and you've got a self contained VR setup wherever you go.

Just tried to find the demo on the PS store. Either it's not yet available in the UK or I'm being a plant pot. I'll have a look again after I've exercised.

I think the cable's a pain in the arse all the time. I really hope PSVR2 is wireless.

The main things the platform needs IMO:
  • Wireless! Being tethered to the same room as the console is fine, but physically tethered to the console is not. I don't even mind having to stay in the sight of the camera, just as long as there's nothing for me to trip over or yank.
  • A single USB type C port at the rear of the headband, for an external battery pack or straightforward audio/video.
  • 4K screen. The 1080p screen split down the middle is very sensible on Sony's part, and supersampling helps with the low resolution, but it's still very low resolution and the PS5 can more than handle a split 4K screen.
  • Eye tracking. Potentially useful as a gameplay input, but mostly used for foveated rendering. It'll be a big help in giving the platform legs, as such techniques are only going to improve as time goes on.
  • IP distance adjustments. This is the least likely, I reckon. If it would be too costly to include this in a base unit, I'd appreciate it if at least the lens part was modular: let me swap out the static lens unit with an adjustable one. Maybe even an adjustable one with prescription lenses. Fertile ground for accessories IMO. Who wouldn't want to keep a backup lens unit in case the originals get scratched?
That's about all I'd want for the headset to rectify my issues with PSVR1. If it could perform inside out tracking for both itself and two motion controllers, that'd be perfection IMO.

It's more fanciful, but such inbuilt functionality would make it a great fit for another PSTV type device: a PSTV2 using the architectural building blocks of the PS5: 12GB 14gb/s GDDR6, 3GHz Zen2, 24CU's * 1300MHz = 4TF. Release it in 2023, once BC hiccups have been fixed. Primarily a PS4 Micro, but also the baseline for PSVR2 exclusives (e.g. a game that can't be played on the PS4/Pro+PSVR1 combo.) Rather than develop and push a new handheld, just piggy back on the strength of the PS4 and the ubiquity of the number of existing devices capable of Remote Play.

Strap the PSTV2 and it's battery cradle to your waist, plug them into the PSVR2 headset, and you've got a self contained VR setup wherever you go.

I'm not sure about wireless myself. Tried the Oculus Quest and it was too heavy and still only good for 2/3 hours. If Sony gives us the option I think I'll keep the cable.

h

https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/23/...less-gaze-tracking-foveated-rendering-and-ar/

It seems, they think about two versions of PSVR 2 one wire and other wireless.

If they bring all that to PSVR2 and it's unmatched in the PC space then I'll probably be getting PSVR2 myself. He's basically just rolled off all my wish list items for VR with the exception of inside out tracking, and perhaps somewhat contradictory, full body tracking like Kinect.

I'm not so convinced about the benefits of gaze tracking as an interface, it sounds much like what you can already do in VR by using your head to control the cursor. Sure it's more fine tuned but I'm not sure it would be an revolutionary improvement. But in terms of enabling foviated rendering then it is of course one of the most important next gen features. I want the same graphics and resolution within VR that I get out of it!

PSVR is 199 now temporarily ... that’s a very good price! I may just buy another one! I still have the v1 and just got an HDR capable TV, and my son can use the old one with the og PS4 at his mothers house ...

Quest is heavy because of the design of the strap, and all the hardware Inside, i'm sure PSVR2 even Wireless will feel a lot more comfortable.
Yep the strap is hideous.

With counterweight, it add weight but it actually more comfortable and feels lighter.

I'm not sure about wireless myself. Tried the Oculus Quest and it was too heavy and still only good for 2/3 hours. If Sony gives us the option I think I'll keep the cable.

Fair enough. I've yet to try an Oculus Quest, so I don't know what it's weight's like. But it uses the 10nm Snapdragon 835 to process the graphics locally, which of course requires a fair bit of battery power. I wonder how much local processing is required only for gaze tracking and inside out tracking?

A 7nm SoC with less processing wouldn't necessitate as bulky a battery (how much though, I've no idea.) And since it'll be tethered wirelessly to the same room as a console, it would possibly be acceptable for something like a couple of hours of battery life, with the option of an external USB-C battery pack.

I'd certainly prefer that, but I don't know if the wider market would. But I don't generally play VR for long stretches of time, so a couple of hours would generally suffice. Then, I could have a couple of battery packs to hot swap if I want to spend the entire day fighting mammoths.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/23/...less-gaze-tracking-foveated-rendering-and-ar/

It seems, they think about two versions of PSVR 2 one wire and other wireless.

Thanks, that was an interesting read. I can see wireless being an additional module. Something like:

product-wireless.jpg

The technology is already out there, so it's at least possible. That adapter is £365 though, so it may be too costly to integrate into the headset. That said, the sale price doesn't necessarily reflect the BoM, just what the market will pay. If it's basically a battery pack and a wireless router, it shouldn't have to be priced so high.

Cost reduction is definitely key to mass market appeal, so even if the BoM was only ~£50, that's £50 that could be knocked off the price of the headset. So yeah, on reflection, wireless seems quite likely to be an accessory.

I'm not so convinced about the benefits of gaze tracking as an interface, it sounds much like what you can already do in VR by using your head to control the cursor. Sure it's more fine tuned but I'm not sure it would be an revolutionary improvement. But in terms of enabling foviated rendering then it is of course one of the most important next gen features. I want the same graphics and resolution within VR that I get out of it!

True. I'm not sure of all that many applications for gaze tracking as an interface in gaming. But if the option's there, I'm sure some crazy cat will think something up.

Edit: it'd be worth checking out the article @chris1515 posted, as the fella (I've already forgotten his name) discussed things like measuring pupil dilation to determine what interests the player.

There's also the matter of maintaining BC with PSVR1. Gaze tracking as an interface would prevent that. Gaze tracking for foveated rendering wouldn't; PSVR1 wouldn't be able to use it (or would have to use the limited form already in widespread use on the platform,) but it'd hardly matter on a lower resolution device anyway.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I've yet to try an Oculus Quest, so I don't know what it's weight's like. But it uses the 10nm Snapdragon 835 to process the graphics locally, which of course requires a fair bit of battery power. I wonder how much local processing is required only for gaze tracking and inside out tracking?

A 7nm SoC with less processing wouldn't necessitate as bulky a battery (how much though, I've no idea.) And since it'll be tethered wirelessly to the same room as a console, it would possibly be acceptable for something like a couple of hours of battery life, with the option of an external USB-C battery pack.

I'd certainly prefer that, but I don't know if the wider market would. But I don't generally play VR for long stretches of time, so a couple of hours would generally suffice. Then, I could have a couple of battery packs to hot swap if I want to spend the entire day fighting mammoths.

Thanks, that was an interesting read. I can see wireless being an additional module. Something like:

product-wireless.jpg

The technology is already out there, so it's at least possible. That adapter is £365 though, so it may be too costly to integrate into the headset. That said, the sale price doesn't necessarily reflect the BoM, just what the market will pay. If it's basically a battery pack and a wireless router, it shouldn't have to be priced so high.

Cost reduction is definitely key to mass market appeal, so even if the BoM was only ~£50, that's £50 that could be knocked off the price of the headset. So yeah, on reflection, wireless seems quite likely to be an accessory.

True. I'm not sure of all that many applications for gaze tracking as an interface in gaming. But if the option's there, I'm sure some crazy cat will think something up.

Edit: it'd be worth checking out the article @chris1515 posted, as the fella (I've already forgotten his name) discussed things like measuring pupil dilation to determine what interests the player.

There's also the matter of maintaining BC with PSVR1. Gaze tracking as an interface would prevent that. Gaze tracking for foveated rendering wouldn't; PSVR1 wouldn't be able to use it (or would have to use the limited form already in widespread use on the platform,) but it'd hardly matter on a lower resolution device anyway.

Oculus Quest wirelessly with normal consumer wifi router already works well. direct wireless between PS5 and PSVR2 should provides much better ease of use / setup and latency.

I got the new version of the PSVR. One mystery solved! It has a stronger screendoor effect than the old one. Ipd seems ever so slightly smaller too.

I got the new version of the PSVR. One mystery solved! It has a stronger screendoor effect than the old one. Ipd seems ever so slightly smaller too.

thanks! finally i can proudly say i didnt regret my purchase of launch-ver PSVR hahaha, as i didnt do any HDR.

Btw how is its
* Black smear
* mura
?

on my launch-ver PSVR, when a game forgot to turn up black to very dark gray, the blacks will smears when moving. It also have pretty strong mura effect, stronger than my Oculus Quest. Albeit mura basically invisible in any kind of gameplay, so its actually non issue.

Back