Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

It's coming up on 6(!) years since I first tried ED in VR, and it with a hotus is still probably the highlight of VR games for me. If you can get your chair and hotus positioned to match your virtual body and virtual hotus, it's pretty special. Where it shines that other cockpit VR games don't is that it involves a lot of interaction with the cockpit UI, which happens to fall within that medium depth range that current VR stereo serves well -- you're constantly being reminded that you're surrounded by instruments, holo-UI, and a glass canopy. That said, I've never tried it in any HMD with an LCD display, so I don't know how the lack of black hurts it.

I think the big part of ED for me is plodding pace, and being able to zone out and relax in the cockpit. Another one like that is the 'Aircar' demo.

Loving elite dangerous so far. Ended up in a pretty cool space station. Station is built inside a giant asteroid which is in middle of smaller asteroids. So freaking cool to fly around there. Though graphics are pretty mediocre so big part of the coolness is just about presence in vr not so much about shinies. Asteroids/Asteroid fieds could look so much better but unfortunately they don't.

Eleven table tennis is just amazing. Bought it from steam and playing with quest. For me this game gets as close to table tennis as is practically possible in vr. It does feel a little bit easier than real ping pong but it's still so real that it's almost spooky. I only have 2 nitpicks and I really mean these as minor issues to me. This game would really benefit from controller that is built inside real racket. Another issue is that physics is a bit off on some edge cases but that really doesn't take anything away from gameplay. Controller issue is mainly form factor and I would rather they make real controller than hacking something at home. In retrospect I probably should have bought this from oculus store to be able to play without wire but on the other hand my long term plan is not to get stuck in oculus eco system. Also games seem to be quite much cheaper in steam versus oculus store. I liked the ps3 move based arcade table tennis already(sports champions?). Eleven table tennis in vr is next level awesome.

Another game I have been playing is zaccaria pinball. It's early access in steam and there also is free to play version. I like zaccaria above other pinball games as the physics/graphics/configurations are much better than other pinball games I have tried. Also there is insane amount of boards. This game I'm not going to nitpick because it's still early access. I went all in to the platinum pack and I hope the game keeps developing to final version. I wouldn't really know it's not final version other than steam says early access.

after disabling virtual wall for months, finally i injured myself.

so don't be like me. however annoying the virtual walls are, they're there to keep you (and furniture) safe.

I would have figured any accidents involved your cat plotting against you.

after disabling virtual wall for months, finally i injured myself.

so don't be like me. however annoying the virtual walls are, they're there to keep you (and furniture) safe.
Yeah I have punched the wall hard before and it's amazing the motion controllers don't explode. Isopropyl takes the paint scuffs off!

My other problem is bashing the ceiling. I'm really tall. The glass light fixture is a concern as well. Heh.

Last edited:
Back