Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

It might not need to make money if it can push the platform enough through marketing, and reaching loads of people and impressing what PS is about. However, it's not LBP in being able to sell IGC and IP tie-ins. There's no ongoing revenue stream. Having been produced by a small team, I think it'll be a lossy endeavour unless they stick with it for yonks and turn around interest.

They could definitely sell IP tie ins, but they’re definitely not ready for that yet now.

Another time lapse, now for the statues. So much to learn from that!

They could sell IP tie-ins, but I don't think they'd sell in numbers to make money. LBP was all about dressing up the Sackboy, and people spent money to do that because they love their cosmetics. In Dreams, you could either sell puppets, or games/levels like 'Marvel 3D Comic Books', but the user base is small for that so why bother? LBP was simple and frivolous, massive user base farting about and happy to throw money at brightly-coloured fun, perfect for tapping into casual expenditure. Dreams is a million miles away from that at the moment.

They could sell IP tie-ins, but I don't think they'd sell in numbers to make money. LBP was all about dressing up the Sackboy, and people spent money to do that because they love their cosmetics. In Dreams, you could either sell puppets, or games/levels like 'Marvel 3D Comic Books', but the user base is small for that so why bother? LBP was simple and frivolous, massive user base farting about and happy to throw money at brightly-coloured fun, perfect for tapping into casual expenditure. Dreams is a million miles away from that at the moment.
I still believe that if the experience is further managed at a developer level, the user base can dramatically increase. For instance, someone suggested that maybe Dreams comes bundled with PS5s (the "CREATE" button?). If MM cares to include a larger campaign and other games that can draw enough attention, that would help, as well.

Maybe, create LBP 4 in Dreams and publish it there. People could enjoy the same LBP experience (being able to create within the creation, so that the experience is a bit more tailored and adjusted) and going "out" to create or play different contents would always be an option.

Dunno, I think there are lots of possibilities.

He has quite a view videos showing himself creating certain scenes in a few minutes. Really impressive, no wonder Media Molecule nabbed him up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZMu1tbM8xhpdmrhbVlZXHg

it seems the UX become "second nature" to use for those that have understood/learned it. So it feels as a breeze as doing a real life painting on one hand while holding a paint Palette on your other hand.

I wonder, if the UX got "remastered" for KB/M, maybe Mm can make it more noob-friendly. For example, SketchUp, its really noob-friendly but also deep for advanced user. While Dreams looks noob-friendly, but because I don't remember where most of the stuff/tools/features/functions are... it became really tedious

Yep. Just learning to navigate effectively is time consuming, sadly. There's not a lot that can be done about that as it comes with any complex, versatile tool. I wish they had some more physical modelling options though, like physical 'bricks' you can attach similar to LBP. It'd make it a lot more beginner friendly if you could grab a block and push it against another block for it to stick. Modelling and physics are decoupled which is something of a limitation of the engine, bit I don't see why MM can't have a 'primitives' mode where you fetch a primitive with its collision geometry active and apply it in the world, and it can be automatically joined or grouped or whatever to make a composite physics object.

And I wish they could smooth out the Move camera controls, especially to lock roll so the horizon is always horizontal. Navigation with Moves is versatile and intuitive but shaky and wonky, and it's very hard to use it with regular shapes. Most Dreamers appear to prefer DS for grid-aligned work, but that's a whole second interface to learn and doesn't play nice with the two active at once.

Finally made something presentable, fully working element I can drop into any scene and it will ride on anything collidable... need more testing before release though.

Also I can swap models quite easily, because physics are not attached to visible sculpture ... I have ideas for MTB cycling game that will include horses :LOL:, but that will take even more time than this.

Yep. Just learning to navigate effectively is time consuming, sadly. There's not a lot that can be done about that as it comes with any complex, versatile tool. I wish they had some more physical modelling options though, like physical 'bricks' you can attach similar to LBP. It'd make it a lot more beginner friendly if you could grab a block and push it against another block for it to stick. Modelling and physics are decoupled which is something of a limitation of the engine, bit I don't see why MM can't have a 'primitives' mode where you fetch a primitive with its collision geometry active and apply it in the world, and it can be automatically joined or grouped or whatever to make a composite physics object.

And I wish they could smooth out the Move camera controls, especially to lock roll so the horizon is always horizontal. Navigation with Moves is versatile and intuitive but shaky and wonky, and it's very hard to use it with regular shapes. Most Dreamers appear to prefer DS for grid-aligned work, but that's a whole second interface to learn and doesn't play nice with the two active at once.

Isn’t that what surface snap basically is, or is that not what you mean?

Surface snap isn't physical. It pings objects to the surface. I mean freely moving objects around and when they hit a surface, they stop, just like real life and just like LBP.

The very first build a rocket tutorial shows the problem in my mind. When you grab the cone to place it on the cylinder, it's not properly aligned. I'd like to see these objects physical, just like LBP, so as you push the cone towards the cylinder, it aligns the surfaces naturally instead of intersecting the volumes. I think this would make a lot more sense for users, be far more accessible for younger players, and you can still have the sculpting.

I suppose that said, there doesn't appear to be proper physics for these objects so it can't be done. That is, 'Physics quality' on models shows them using lots of spheres to approximate their volume. It'd need other physics to be implemented with flat surfaces.

I see what you mean and yes that would be a good feature. Can we vote for it yet? [emoji16]

I posted this question in the Dreams Facebook group and got this response:

Just Enable/Disable the Collide and Moveable options in the tweak menus under the physics tab.

That works between separate objects when the editor is playing, but not when editing a sculpture.

So, create a bunch of bricks as individual objects and enabled physics and you can wield them like physical bricks. But create a new sculpture and add a cylinder and a cone and try to stack the cone on the cylinder, it'll cut through without that physicality. That's counter-intuitive IMO. It should default to physical and then toggle on/off overlaps. The real-world it's simulating only ever has solid quantities. You can add more clay, or remove clay, but can't overlap clay. You can stack bricks but can't overlap them. The sculpting tools of Dreams are awesome and capable of amazing results for those who learn them, but I think the game would really benefit from a more analogous interface to start with that conforms to users expectations. That might be as easy to implement as enabling surface snap when the objects overlap.

Given Dreams does such a good job of representing the visual solidity of objects, the lack of their physicality by default is definitely an odd choice. The initial rocket ship looks like solid bricks, and can be moved like solid bricks, so why don't they interact like solid bricks?

and exploded view if anyone interested

28e9a180-9f63-11ea-a2c3-0609d188dc84.jpg

Back