Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

The Oculus launcher includes the VR runtime that handles all the back-end compositor, tracking, etc -- so that's a necessary part of the VR system (it's does the equivalent of Valve's SteamVR for the Vive/Index).

Not sure about the issue of needing an internet connection for the Oculus runtime/launcher to operate -- I just yanked my ethernet and was able to launch applications from the Oculus library just fine. Perhaps there's some circumstance where a driver or service certificate times out after weeks or months and requires an online update from the store? If he's interacting with content from the Steam store but blocking the Oculus app from updating, then there could be circumstances where the Rift and/or runtime might be out of date and not compatible with up-to-date applications.

i prefer the way steam did it. The steam vr are a separate entity that can run without steam running. But if you did that, it will run DRM free, and will break games that use Steam's DRM.

So i disabled the internet in my firewall, plugged in the rift it didnt work, ran the oculus program and the splashscreen showed up with the loading animation and it just stayed on that
had to kill it in task manager. I strarted the oculus app with the internet enabled and everything worked so i disabled the net again and everything continued to work but some furniture disappeared from the home room

Are the OVR background processes running normally throughout your tests? (Or are you disabling the Oculus Service via Oculus Tray Tools?)

So i disabled the internet in my firewall, plugged in the rift it didnt work, ran the oculus program and the splashscreen showed up with the loading animation and it just stayed on that
had to kill it in task manager. I strarted the oculus app with the internet enabled and everything worked so i disabled the net again and everything continued to work but some furniture disappeared from the home room
Maybe they put overly long timeout?

Are you blocking only internet IP addresses with ZA, or blocking all network activity (including loopback, etc)? Have you tried simply disconnecting your physical network and seeing if it behaves the same way as ZA's block?

Selecting "stop all internet activity" from the right click menu (taskbar icon)
Rift works fine if I just disconnect the cable (the store doesnt load and neither does the vr house thing)

sometimes my rift will display the outside world (in monochrome) how do i enable that ?
you can switch into Passthrough mode by: Pressing the Oculus button on your right Touch controller twice.

Last edited:
will be interesting to see how they compare to HoloLens. But a 2021 announcement and release in 2022 would put it up against HoloLens 3

Elite Dangerous in VR is seriously cool. It was pretty demoralizing trying to pass mining training when I accidentally and unknowingly had disabled flight assistant :D That chunk of rock was pretty much impossible to scoop up with my puny skillz.

I ended up getting t16000m fcs hotas. So far I'm happy with the choice of controller.

Elite Dangerous in vr is so cool. Did my first missions yesterday. Elite takes me back too my childhood. It's wonderful experience to zoom around in space. Same kind of wonder in the game mechanics and possibilities of what do do and where to go as I remember when playing elite on c64. I'm for now just learning and doing the trainings + easy missions in solo mode. Maybe at some later point I'll tip my toes to the side if of the game where other human players are.

First few times of playing elite I did get quite nauseous due to the movement. I guess I'm now adjusted as yesterday I didn't get any ill effects from rolling around space.

Graphics could be a lot better though. Don't know if it's just the headset or graphics in general but they are not very impressive. That said, graphics does't matter that much. What's important for immersion is there(cockpit, giant structures, sheer scale of the game). Gameplay feels appropriately challenging in a fun way. This is first game where I feel like voice commands could be nice to have and I would probably use them.

Elite might become my second favorite game to play in vr. In my books Half Life Alyx is still the vr game to beat.

I haven't played no mans sky. Maybe one day. Elite + freespace1/2 should keep me plenty busy and then it's probably time for cyberpunk2077 and vampire.

Back