Upgraded system to 3900X and X570

Sinistar

I LIVE
Regular
Supporter
Tuesday I received an 3900X, Asus Trix X570, and 32GB (2x16) of memory all purchased from newegg. First I would like to warn anyone buying this motherboard, have a philips jewelers screw driver handy, and an old usb keyboard. Before putting the motherboard in the case, remove the shroud that partially covers the M2 slots (jewelers screw driver required) and install your drives. I on the other hand put the motherboard in first (how was I to know) and great calamity ensued. Anyways, after getting that disaster fixed I decided to put my memory from the old build in also. So now it's time to power up, would not post, so pulled old memory and it fired up. Now I am hitting the delete key to get into the BIOS, this is not working (WTF) and I find myself booting into windows. Seems the keyboard (Corsair) will work in any OS, but not before its loaded, did not have this problem on old motherboard. So dig out old keyboard and try again, perfectly good example of why not to throw old hardware away. Get into the BIOS and set memory to XMP, speed and timing automagicly update. At this point I decide to shutdown and try with the extra memory again. Start back up and I have 48 GB all running at the speed and timing of the 32 GB kit. Booted into windows as ran benchmarks and encoded a 30 minute video just to make sure all was well, and then booted into Linux. Once in Linux I compiled LLVM and a lot of the project that are connected to it. Very impressed so far, if anything changes I will reply to this post.

A few days later I find that the corsair keyboard has an undocumented BIOS mode. Only problem is it seems you must be in an OS to enable it. If I try to enable outside of an OS it seems to go into some sort of demo mode. So enable in OS and then reboot.

A lot of bios's have a usb legacy mode although if it's not enabled you cant enable it if the keyboard isnt recognised
From my x570 manual
yUk92bQ.jpg

So now it's time to power up, would not post
Be aware when switched on for the first time ryzen x570 boards take a very long time to post as they are training the memory I thought my board was broken

Last edited:
A lot of bios's have a usb legacy mode although if it's not enabled you cant enable it if the keyboard isnt recognised
From my x570 manual
yUk92bQ.jpg

Legacy mode was already set as default.

Edit: I actually think that the keyboard bios mode setting puts the keyboard in legacy mode, and that is why it is recognized then.

Last edited:
I have not tried to manually overclock, just using precision boost. At stock setting it will clock to 4.0 on all cores, lowered the CPU voltage with -.1125 offset and it hit 4.15 on all core under full load. If I try to go any lower on power the max speed goes down. I think I will just leave it as is for now, if I get bored I might start to play with manual OC.

I have not tried to manually overclock, just using precision boost. At stock setting it will clock to 4.0 on all cores, lowered the CPU voltage with -.1125 offset and it hit 4.15 on all core under full load. If I try to go any lower on power the max speed goes down. I think I will just leave it as is for now, if I get bored I might start to play with manual OC.
What are you using to cool it?

That's real nice temp! Agree with your conclusion that it could go higher with manual OC.

My 2600 goes to 90c when gaming at stock. Now 70c max at 4ghz since I replaced the cooler with aftermarket.

Unless doing all-core processing like video editing and stuff and have time contraints, I don't see much reason to manually OC Ryzens. I say just let it so its own per core OC.

. Now I am hitting the delete key to get into the BIOS, this is not working (WTF) and I find myself booting into windows. Seems the keyboard (Corsair) will work in any OS, but not before its loaded, did not have this problem on old motherboard. So dig out old keyboard and try again, perfectly good example of why not to throw old hardware away.

I'm guessing we have similar problems. My keyboard is so slow booting up I couldn't enter BIOS before it had started. I had to use a cheap USB keyboard to enter the BIOS and disable fast boot.

Cheers

Back