All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they aimed for 399 since the beginning, seeing the hardware and the success the PS4 was at that price. Anyway, why's there a PSVR system pictured in the tweet? Possible (optional) bundles?

I would assume GoG is factored into the value of CDPR?

GoG is a money loser.
Sure, it's a game platform distributor and there's some value in it, but it probably doesn't count much for CDPR's perceived value.
They really need to diversify and make more games in parallel, otherwise they won't survive any failed game release.

for ms gaming is up 81% year over year and 52.6m active xbox users.

Game pass continues to grow.

I like GOG so its a shame that they are having issues. Hopefully when the new program launches it will pick up. I still buy mostly on steam but there are other games I get on GOG. I did cancel my Cyber Punk preorder however.

GoG actually did have increased revenues in 2019. Seems like a nice place to work based on this 2019 management report on company activities.
In my jaded experience, when people are talking revenue rather than net profit, there either isn't any profit or so it's marginal as to barely be worth the effort of the operation. I like GOG though, I hope it sticks around.

In my jaded experience, when people are talking revenue rather than net profit, there either isn't any profit or so it's marginal as to barely be worth the effort of the operation. I like GOG though, I hope it sticks around.

One thing to take note of is that GoG has been investing heavily into a new launcher. That has 2 effects. In the short term it's been eating into their profits (one reason that Epic Gamestore is still a pile of feces, as they don't invest heavily into the user experience). In the long term it may help to boost user commitment (buying games) to their store.

I can already see this at least in Twitch viewer comments with seeing people move their buying habits from Steam to GoG when titles are available on both platforms. Although it'll take time to see if this becomes more widespread. But GoG's work on their new launcher is definitely winning them a lot of more dedicated buyers, even if it means they've taken a hit to their profits in the short term.

Basically follow the Steam model. Make your storefront something people want to use and have it offer consumer amenities that other platforms don't have and consumers will start to buy more titles on your service because they enjoy using your service.

Regards,
SB

Over 1.5 billion game consoles have been sold to date and you may be surprised at the leader
May 26, 2020
1.56 billion consoles have been sold so far and according to the company "The data obtained indicates the PlayStation 2 accounts for the biggest share with 10.07 percent.”
Nintendo's handheld consoles, the DS and Game Boy, take second and third place respectively, followed by the PS4. Microsoft's bestselling console, the Xbox 360, comes in eighth.

"Since its release in 2000, the PlayStation 2 consoles have sold 157.68 million units. The Nintendo DS is the second-highest selling game console with 154.9 million units globally followed by Game Boy at 118.69 million units. Notably, the PlayStation 2 has outsold the popular Playstation 4 which has 109.86 million units globally. In fifth place there is the first PlayStation console that has sold 102.5million units. The Wii console is sixth with 101.64 million units sold globally."

Europe is the top market for Sony, "To date, The PlayStation 2 has sold 55.28 million units in Europe, followed by North America at 53.65 million units."
https://betanews.com/2020/05/26/gaming-leaders/

No surprise at all, the PS2 is widely known to be the best sold console ever, and will probably remain that way. Back then when there was more then 10 big exclusives for one single console.

The most surprising thing really is Sony take the first, second and third spots for home consoles, although some of those numbers are too close to call really. The whole "$1,56 billion units" labelling shows a general lack of care in the data reporting. Oh, the source is VGChartz, so there we have it - an approximate graph of maybe-sold numbers with no surprises.

Will it catch Spiderman in sales? Is not such a huge brand like Spiderman, massive win for ND if it manages to do it.
I don't think sales will pass spider man. I doubt they close especially when sony put spider man on ps+. Actually, does sony count ps+ downloads as sales as MS does wit GP?

Xbox gamers have spent more than $1.4 billion on ID@Xbox titles
The ID@Xbox program has made more than $1.4 billion in digital revenue since the indie development scheme first launched back in 2013. Speaking at the GamesIndustry.biz Online Investment Summit, global strategic partnership management lead of the ID@Xbox program Agostino Simonetta gave a presentation on the program.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n41939/id-at-xbox-sales

I don't think sales will pass spider man. I doubt they close especially when sony put spider man on ps+. Actually, does sony count ps+ downloads as sales as MS does wit GP?
Spider-Man never went to Plus.

TLoU2 will probably sell a lot more than Spider-Man did. TLoU1 sold 10 Million on the PS3 and another 10 million on the PS4. Spider-Man sold a little over 13 Million.
Considering how TLoU2 will be a cross-gen title, probably with specific PS5 features and enhancements, sales of the second will build over the first's success unless it's a critical failure.

Don't be surprised if TLoU2 surpasses 20 Million sales.

A lot more people know Spider-Man, but save for people familiar with the project it was often mistaken for a movie tie-in, and those tend to be rather horrible.

I wonder if because of the fantastic first quarter results for Sony it has emboldened them to take more of a loss on the PS5 and is why they have upped the PS5 shipments to ten million?

They made 1.1 billion profit in the first quarter.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them buy more dev teams, they must know that in the end content will be the most important aspect of getting people to buy into your eco system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back