How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

PS5 console reveal? Where?
Spilling the beans on specs for developers counts as a console reveal now?

15 Million people seem to think it does.

And if it wasn't for "them" the Playstation blog sure made it seem as if it was given this opening paragraph.

We know that fans are excited to find out more about our next-generation console, PlayStation 5, and exactly how it will bring about the future of gaming. Today we’re proud to unveil more details behind the technical and hardware components that make PlayStation 5 such an innovative and powerful platform – the ultra-high-speed SSD, integrated custom I/O system, custom AMD GPU with ray tracing, and highly immersive 3D audio. With these capabilities, PS5 will allow developers to maximize their creativity, building expansive worlds and new play experiences in the games they design.

And sure, that's what they delivered, but the question is if it was not for the fans, don't promote it as such and if it was, then you are open to criticism as to what was delivered and how it was delivered using that lens.

Last edited:
Lol and "finding out more" equals console reveal?
You know it doesn't. It'll be a console reveal when they reveal pictures and videos of the console. Not powerpoint a presentation with a bunch of diagrams that very few people can understand.

Lol and "finding out more" equals console reveal?
You know it doesn't. It'll be a console reveal when they reveal pictures and videos of the console. Not powerpoint a presentation with a bunch of diagrams that very few people can understand.

It was "a" reveal, yes. And they are the ones who set the expectation that it would be fan-friendly.

from my sources I now believe the ps5 is the more expensive console of the two with MS having higher yields and initiatives to use defective dies in other projects. It was also explained to me that a pool of ram will be cheaper for them because they are buying in bulk for more than one project right now. It sounds like the xsx will be cheaper to make and may result in a cheaper retail price.

As always who knows . We will see if I was right in a few months. It sounds like MS wants to have a mic drop moment after their July event with a big unannounced title (I have never even heard rumors of this until today) and a low price.

Sounds very strange, a lesser-specced console (gpu, cpu, bandwith, lower capacity ssd), at a higher price. The 36cu ps5 should be aiming for the 399 mark, whilest the xsx can't be lower then that.

Intresting about 1st party xsx exclusives though, read about it before.

Sounds very strange, a lesser-specced console (gpu, cpu, bandwith, lower capacity ssd), at a higher price. The 36cu ps5 should be aiming for the 399 mark, whilest the xsx can't be lower then that.
Hence the caveats: use of defective dies, higher yields, etc.

Do I think it's the case, no idea.
But its the sort of things I and others have theorized about on ways ms could reduce BOM cost and spread the cost of investment also.

Would definitely make for an interesting time. XO had so many misteps upto and during launch regardless of its base specifications.

Wasn't sure where this should go, but ACG's take on Sony and MS talk about generations and also xbox bc hdr.
All round reasonable view really. Although in the end PS5 will have couple Sony exclusives and Xbox won't.

Wasn't sure where this should go, but ACG's take on Sony and MS talk about generations and also xbox bc hdr.
All round reasonable view really. Although in the end PS5 will have couple Sony exclusives and Xbox won't.

I mean sony was always going to have sony exclusives that xbox wouldn't . Sony wont have any xbox console exclusives and I think there are what already 8 or 9 announced. Neither will have Nintendo exclusives.

I mean sony was always going to have sony exclusives that xbox wouldn't . Sony wont have any xbox console exclusives and I think there are what already 8 or 9 announced. Neither will have Nintendo exclusives.
Sorry thought i was being obvious, i meant Sony first party ps5 exclusives. Regardless of how many.
MS won't have any first party xsx exclusives for at least minimum of year.

Sorry thought i was being obvious, i meant Sony first party ps5 exclusives. Regardless of how many.
MS won't have any first party xsx exclusives for at least minimum of year.

Microsoft will have Xbox / PC exclusives. I don't get why your trying to make a distinction. We have no idea of any timelines for sony to release new titles. Last generation Sony was a bit slower to release ps4 exclusives than microsoft.

What do you think the diffrences in exclusives will be ?

2-3 years since last release (by the time of launch)
  • Asobi Team (VR) - Astro Bot Rescue Mission (2018)
  • Guerrilla Games - HZD (2018)
  • Insomniac - Spider-Man (2018)
  • Polyphony Digital - GT Sport (2017)
  • Project Siren (Team Silent) - Gravity Rush 2 (2017)
  • Santa Monica - God of War 4 (2018)
<1 year
  • Bend - Days Gone (2019)
  • London Studio - Blood & Truth (VR, 2019)
  • Media Molecule - Dreams (2020)
  • Naughty Dog - Last of Us 2 (2020)
  • Pixelopus - Concrete Genie (2019)
  • San Diego Studio - MLB (2020)
  • Sucker Punch - Ghosts of Tsushima (2020)

I had a list for MS teams a while back, but I can't be arsed to search for it.

Microsoft will have Xbox / PC exclusives. I don't get why your trying to make a distinction.
The video as i said was about generations and Sony and MS messaging about it, I said ps5 exclusives, so xbox was obviously about next gen xsx.
Next gen only 1st party games. What has been discussed here, and by Sony and ms in the past week.
Which the vid was about, not sure if you watched it or not?
In my follow up post was pretty clear was talking next gen first party exclusives, not cross gen games.

Also the distinction is being made by Sony and MS. Weather you believe either company is up to you.

The video as i said was about generations and Sony and MS messaging about it, I said ps5 exclusives, so xbox was obviously about next gen xsx.
Next gen only 1st party games. What has been discussed here, and by Sony and ms in the past week.
Which the vid was about, not sure if you watched it or not?
In my follow up post was pretty clear was talking next gen first party exclusives, not cross gen games.

Also the distinction is being made by Sony and MS. Weather you believe either company is up to you.

But what is the difference ?

It seems that people want to make a distinction and act like games appearing on previous generations is a bad thing. But it can be a good thing. First off there are pc's out there that will be targeted by these cross generational games that are in many many ways more powerful than these new consoles. Secondly multiplayer wont be effected by only having a newly launched console to draw players from.

When you boot up halo infinite on the xbox series x you will get a huge visual upgrade from the xbox one family but you will also get to play with anyone on those systems and on the pc. I've played some xbox series x games and I can say that you wont be disappointed and some of the stuff further out.

The ps5 games and xbox series x games are all developed on pc hardware , the consoles are pc systems at this point. Its just a zen cpu and rdn2 gpu. This isn't the old day where Sega comes from left field with multiple chips that you have to wrangle for good performance or sony having a cell processor.

This video seems like it just exists for clicks. We haven't really seen any of Sony's exclusive. We saw an engine that wont be ready until holiday 2021 and will be on pc , xbox and PlayStation as well as switch. So lets see what the games look like when they are announced

And we're at the level of nuts where it is necessary to state he obvious! I'm note sure I can cope with a crazy console launch year on top of a crazy everything-else year. It's too much crazy! :runaway:

Reactions: Jay
And we're at the level of nuts where it is necessary to state he obvious! I'm note sure I can cope with a crazy console launch year on top of a crazy everything-else year. It's too much crazy! :runaway:

Yup , if you love sony games buy a ps5 , if you love MS games get a pc or xbox , Nintendo stuff or a portable get a switch. If you want all of it get all of it. I have a switch and a pc. I will most likely be given another xbox series x to take home. So I will have those 3 system. i'm not interested in sony's exclusives so I wont be buying a ps5 unless something new makes me want it. The game I was interested in on the ps4 was HZD but it seems to be hitting pc. Its hard to buy a console for 1 or 2 games. That money could be put into a better pc

I had a list for MS teams a while back, but I can't be arsed to search for it.
New list

Announced
  • 343 Industries - Halo Infinite (2020)
  • Double Fine - Psychonauts 2 (2020)
  • Ninja Theory - Hellblade 2 (TBA), Project Mara (???)
  • Obsidian Entertainment - Grounded (2020)
  • Rare - Everwild (TBA),
2+ years
  • Compulsion Games - We Happy Few (2018)
  • Initiative - ???
  • Playground Games - Forza Horizon 4 (2018)
  • Turn 10 - Forza Motorsport 7 (2017) - yeah yeah, probably Forza 8 launch title. :p
  • Undead Labs - State of Decay 2 (2018)

<1 year
  • Coalition - Gears 5 (2019)
  • InXile Entertainment - Wasteland 3 (2020)
  • Mojang - Minecraft Dungeons (2020)
  • Obsidian Entertainment - Outer Worlds (2019)

^List to show what MS may or may not have cooking internally & timeline, same as the Sony list.

3rd party stuff
MS Published
  • Asobo - Flight Simulator (2020)
  • DLala - Battletoads (TBA)
  • DONTNOD - Tell Me Why (2020)
  • Relic Entertainment - Age of Empires IV (TBA)
  • Smilegate - CrossfireX (TBA)
Other
  • Andrew Shouldice - Tunic (TBA)
  • Bloober Team - The Medium (2020)
  • Crea-ture Studios - Session (TBA)
  • EbbSoftware - Scorn (TBA)
  • Neon Giant - Ascent (2020)
  • Out of the Blue - Call of Sea (TBA)
  • Systemic Reaction - Second Extinction (TBA)
  • Tomas Sala - Falconeer (2020)

Last edited:
New list

Announced
  • 343 Industries - Halo Infinite (2020)
  • Double Fine - Psychonauts 2 (2020)
  • Ninja Theory - Hellblade 2 (TBA)
  • Rare - Everwild (TBA),
3rd party
  • DLala - Battletoads (TBA)
  • Relic Entertainment - Age of Empires IV (TBA)
2+ years
  • Compulsion Games - We Happy Few (2018)
  • Initiative - ???
  • Playground Games - Forza Horizon 4 (2018)
  • Turn 10 - Forza Motorsport 7 (2017) - yeah yeah, probably Forza 8 launch title. :p
  • Undead Labs - State of Decay 2 (2018)

<1 year
  • Coalition - Gears 5 (2019)
  • InXile Entertainment - Wasteland 3 (2020)
  • Mojang - Minecraft Dungeons (2020)
  • Obsidian Entertainment - Outer Worlds (2019)

Scorn was announced and is PC/Xbox exclusive from a third party
The Ascent is xbox eclusive this holiday
Second Extinction
deium
session
tunic
project mara
crossfire x
Grounded
Tell Me why

Lot of xbox /pc exclusive annoucned already.

Back