How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

I went hunting that what are the most viewed playstation videos. By far most viewed video I found is this spiderman gameplay video from e3 2017. 53million views.

If sony tries and manages to replicate the spiderman views for ps5 game trailers that would be money in the bank. Spiderman remaster for ps5 launch window? I wonder if the views are because marvel+spiderman or if the video went viral just because it's awesome?

Still, Sony no even mentioning the huge UE5 PS5 reveal at all in any of its channels is so, so very odd! The silence is deafening.
So either Sony are insane, or Sony have a plan. Of course, it's a Sony plan so it might be insane. But I think they know what they're doing. Let's be honest, there isn't that much real news. People want to see the console, they want to know the price, they want to know the launch date and they want to know what games will be available at launch and in the launch window.

In 2013 they did all of this at two events, the February 2013 PS4 reveal and the June E3 Conference. I think Sony are just enjoying this teasing anticipation because it is creating conversations, even if most of them are "please tell us something". :runaway:

Last edited by a moderator:
I went hunting that what are the most viewed playstation videos. By far most viewed video I found is this spiderman gameplay video from e3 2017. 53million views. If sony tries and manages to replicate the spiderman views for ps5 game trailers that would be money in the bank. Spiderman remaster for ps5 launch window?
If they make a PS5 version that doesn't look sufficiently next-gen, it might back-fire. Too many remakes and ports would really undermine the idea of a next-gen console. I expect late-PS4 titles like TLoU2 may well have ports, but only recent ones.

I'm sure they will be testing and or making slight changes to the last of us and ghost of Tsushima to make sure they run at 60fps and high resolution on PS5.

Yes, games released this year should run flawlessly on PS5, at least those most played.

If they make a PS5 version that doesn't look sufficiently next-gen, it might back-fire. Too many remakes and ports would really undermine the idea of a next-gen console. I expect late-PS4 titles like TLoU2 may well have ports, but only recent ones.

Nah, I don't think they'll waste much on making PS4 remakes or ports if the PS5 can run flawlessly most of those games.

But PS1-PS3 remakes? They still have plenty to chose from: Silent Hill, MGS, OG Tomb Raider, FF games, original GoW, DMC, Max Payne, Demon Souls, KH, Resistance, etc. Even Tony Hawks has been remastered (which was a great game btw).

https://www.pttweb.cc/bbs/XBOX/M.1586010213.A.57D

Aquariuszi already said the other small SOC (Lockhart) won't be ready this year.

Well no wonder we have the rumour that Scarlett will be $400, because having Lockhart arrive at the same time would be just suicidal from Microsoft and they need to compete with PS5 and following the disasterous "gameplay" release two weeks ago they need to do something to try and guarantee XBSX sales.

Well no wonder we have the rumour that Scarlett will be $400, because having Lockhart arrive at the same time would be just suicidal from Microsoft and they need to compete with PS5 and following the disasterous "gameplay" release two weeks ago they need to do something to try and guarantee XBSX sales.

Microsoft has about 10 exclusive games with 8 of them being stuff we haven't seen publicly yet. I don't know if they are going to all get shown in the July show but from what I've been able to see they are all high quality and they are almost all titles for 2020/2021 with one or two maybe slipping into early 2022.

I think there will be plenty to sell the system. I don't know what sony has in store for this holiday but its going to be hard to top this halo. Its the first halo as good as part 3 at least for me a non halo fan.

The "disastrous" Road to Ps5 showing and the IX episode will be old memories by fall. They have no bearings on sales.

No one will even remember this so called "disaster". Outside of a .01% that go one forums, probably nobody already does...

For that matter I was heavily impressed by the graphical chops of some early Xbox One showings like Ryse. The hardware remained underpowered vs the competition though. I guess to say any "showing" matter little vs the actual hardware brought to the table.

I think there will be plenty to sell the system. I don't know what sony has in store for this holiday but its going to be hard to top this halo. Its the first halo as good as part 3 at least for me a non halo fan.
I really hope so. I wasn't a fan of 4 or 5 - I'm only in for the story and campaign.

It's not true that people don't remember, likely just quietened down as the PS5 UE5 reveal and Ghost of Tsushima gameplay took away the backlash attention Microsoft were having and showed, in the UE5 demo at least, what is possible on the XBSX.

If the first party showcase is really good, then yes people will forget the third party disaster that happened. If the first party showcase isn't good and doesn't have actual gameplay, I bet you people will remember the third party gameplay disaster as well as any new criticism MS would then deserve.

It's likely it(first party showcase) won't be a disaster so yeah people might forget the third party showcase real quick after that.

The average gamer doesn't even know MS / Sony have shown demo's. I work with about 5 other people that have an Xbox and they barley know that next gen systems are coming out this year. If it weren't for me telling them about it they probably wouldn't know. There's no real backlash for the games MS has shown so far, because the majority of people don't even know those games exist yet. When big third party games start to show gameplay that's when average gamers will start paying attention.

The average gamer doesn't even know MS / Sony have shown demo's.

Because neither of them have shown gameplay demos of actual games running on next-gen hardware so far. Save for Epic's demo, there's hardly anything to react to.

The Internet never forgets?
Now that's wishful thinking in its purest form.

How old is this now?
That's an outlier meme. Sony got lots of flack of Cerny's reveal, but the moment UE5 was shown, no-one cares. It's not like interest in PS5 after UE5 is less because the prior show wasn't exciting. It's not like reveals of MS'a first-party titles will be valued less because their indie showcase wasn't exciting. Interest in a platform is generally a MAX() function, not a MEAN() one.

Sony got lots of flack of Cerny's reveal, but the moment UE5 was shown, no-one cares. It's not like interest in PS5 after UE5 is less because the prior show wasn't exciting. It's not like reveals of MS'a first-party titles will be valued less because their indie showcase wasn't exciting. Interest in a platform is generally a MAX() function, not a MEAN() one.
They did? By whom?

The Road to PS5 youtube video somehow keeps getting universally referenced here on B3D as some boring monologue of Cerny talking to developers about architecture, that no one cared about, right?
Yet it has over 15 million views, which is more than seven (7) times the xbox stream and later 60FPS upload combined, and a like/dislike ratio of 3:1.

They did? By whom?

The Road to PS5 youtube video somehow keeps getting universally referenced here on B3D as some boring monologue of Cerny talking to developers about architecture, that no one cared about, right?
Yet it has over 15 million views, which is more than seven (7) times the xbox stream and later 60FPS upload combined, and a like/dislike ratio of 3:1.

15 Million views indicates interest not satisfaction. And isn't 3:1 like to dislike kind of crap for your console reveal? It's no Xbox One (which seems to have been around 50/50), but I would expect better from a brand that is so popular and successful.

Outside of some forum, I've read only positive references about it, mostly about how much faster and out of reach is from series x and top end pc due to frequency and ssd.
People have selective memory and understanding.

Back