General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

So how is it probably going to end up being? I'm not familiar with Azure services. Wouldn't they need to build specific blades for PS5 etc? Or is this about PSN services & maybe security?

News from the real world: https://twinfinite.net/2020/05/sony-corporate-strategy-meeting-ps5/

The circle has been closed, Sony pays MS for gaming cloud services, MS pays Sony BR royalties.

I wonder what ms actually pays. MS requires you to download a player if you want to watch bluray movies. So they aren't paying a fee on each disc drive. Also as time goes on less people are buying physical discs. I would imagine that is a dying revenue stream

So how is it probably going to end up being? I'm not familiar with Azure services. Wouldn't they need to build specific blades for PS5 etc? Or is this about PSN services & maybe security?
I assume it's the latter, like you I can't see how Azure can provide PS5 emulation/streaming from existing server infrastructure.

It was my understanding the XSX SSD is 2.4GB/s (Raw), 4.8GB/s (Compressed) and the "over 6GB/s" referred to the speed at which the decompression block ran.

What is unclear to me at this point is whether or not the 4.8GB/s Compressed figure is a hard limit somewhere in the I/O pathway and the decompression block's >6GB/s simply provides overhead. Or if it is an average and the entire pathway can actually move >6GB/s end to end in ideal circumstances. I'd hope and assume it's the latter for the sake of Xbox devs and end users.

If it is the latter; I'm surprised MS didn't capitalise on it and state "2.4-6GB/s", or more honestly "2.4GB/s (RAW), 4.8GB/s (Average Compressed), 6.0GB/s (Peak Compressed)"..... saying that, their official spec sheet only says 12TF when they have 12.15TF, so perhaps they're playing it a little more reserved.

Regarding Sony and PS5, the way it was worded makes me pretty sure it's 5.5GB/s (Raw), 8-9GB/s (Average Compressed) & 22GB/s (Peak Compressed); that 22GB/s being peak end to end throughput in what are likely very rare circumstances and as a result of a limit in the decompression block. Cerny said "..the unit itself [kraken decompression block] is capable of outputting as much as 22GB/s if the data happened to compresses particularly well".

-------

Now for a bit of levity, according to youtube closed captions -- while checking for the quote -- it turns out the unit can move over 5GB of crack a second; not to mention "format input data"..! =P

cerncrk1.jpg
cerncrk2.jpg

Looks like any sort of IP and using their most recent and widely known IP to assist in the lure of the company.

It says internship begins in September and they want the intern to stay at least 5 months. February/March 2021 is 4 years after the first horizon. It seems logical for the release of the second part. And they had some ad job for vegetation artist saying before being updated this is for Horizon.

EDIT:
EXYmb7hXgAM15_d.png

Oh, I was going off what you posted, just what was said in the tweet and the video. Your second post was more informative than the first.

Back