Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I supposse Sony will make all this dev friendly features in an engine like Decima and try to spread it between its studios.
By the way, new RedGamingTech video claims L3 cache in PS5 CPU is common between the two ZEN cpu CCXs, avoiding infinity fabric accesses to share data between them:

Why refer to it as 2 CCXs? It would practically be 1-8 core CCX. Cores within a CCX are connected by a shared L3.

EYSgMFJWAAE4IZe

What's the meaning of "target" and speed not fixed? is the SSD finalized?

I wonder how it can be instantaneous, under 1 millisecond?
no information can have an higher speed than light, so I can't understand why Cerny said so. Any idea?

EYSgMFJWAAE4IZe

no information can have an higher speed than light, so I can't understand why Cerny said so. Any idea?

It was the target and if you see other slide they reach 5.5 GB/s when you see good entreprise SSD seek time is around 1 ms or in hudreds of us(microsecond).

In that slide Cerny was explaining what they were aiming at when they were developing the specs of the console, that why they use the word "target". The final specs are finalized and posted here 2 months ago, you just need to check the first post.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/202...ls-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

All SSDs have instantaneous seek times, not just PS5's SSD.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14453051

I hope I solved all your "concerns".

so there's no such "seek time instantaneous" that Cerny was talking about (at least not in this universe), but a constant latency, this is what I knew
Exactly. It just looks and feels "instantanenous" when you've been stuck with HDD's before.

Exactly. It just looks and feels "instantanenous" when you've been stuck with HDD's before.

Yep.

upload_2020-5-18_14-50-47.png
And those .05ms may be a bit too optimistic for a lot of consumer drives but surely a lot of them can hit 0.1 ms, which already makes them 50-100 times faster than a HDD. So access latency is imperceptible, and the system has "instantaneous" access to the data.

For example, the 970 Evo M2, when performing 4K Random Reads
In our first VDBench Workload Analysis, we looked at random 4K read performance. Here, the Samsung 970 EVO came in fourth with 365,813 IOPS and 349μs latency for the 2TB model and last place with peak performance of 274,980 IOPS and a latency of 464μs for the 500GB model.

.3 ms

EYSgMFJWAAE4IZe

You would want to watch cerny's presentation. Cerny stated streaming problem in context of ps4, they set target for next gen and they achieved the target by having ps5 provide 5.5GB/s raw + compression on top of that.

Seek time is instant in this context as the comparison is against the ps4 hdd. Seek time's on good nvme ssd is are somewhere around 0.02ms. We don't know exact seek time of ps5 ssd. We can make some assumptions knowing there is very gaming optimized ssd and 12 channels. We also know ps5 dma's data straight from controller to ram without going through IPC/many sw layers. This should be much faster than regular pc operations. On PC microsoft will provide DirectStorage for similar functionality but that is not available yet.

Seek is pretty much instant as you can fetch some data on per frame basis. Cerny goes at length to explain how they implemented 6 different priority queus to allow prioritizing data that needs to be fetched. One example was audio sample to be fetched and played on demand from ssd when enemy dies instead of caching such audio in ram.

Last edited:
What happened to the PS5 thread:oops:

A haptic feedback comment from a developer that you could feel weather, like rain with the DS5 controller. I can get sweaty in my palms while playing, but this is another level...

https://gamerant.com/ps5-dualsense-rain-haptic-feedback/

I think that, apart from the astonishing graphics jump already shown, the most exciting part about PS5 is the controller and the audio.

A haptic feedback comment from a developer that you could feel weather, like rain with the DS5 controller. I can get sweaty in my palms while playing, but this is another level...

https://gamerant.com/ps5-dualsense-rain-haptic-feedback/
That's a pretty loose retelling of the short conversation Bithel had on a podcast. I listened to that episode few days ago. Audio talk was focused on Tempest, not haptics. "Feeling of rain" as in, hearing individual drops.

As for haptic, he just said that some things are great on DualSense but he did not detailed it because of the NDA [he even checked to see if he can talk about it, he couldn't].

that makes me think that they could do things like this with PSVR2 for traditionnal 2D games, sort of an enhanced mode for VR owners, you could see a virtual big screen in front of you, with the game screen free of any game info like map energy bars etc... and see these info outside of the screen, be it around the screen, or on a virtual controller with options like seen in that video.

Back