A new video card for my son for his birthday.

That's right Homer cheer me and Digi up......

Actually it's tiny ;)
Sorry :mrgreen:

It is a weird time for GPUs with the new consoles and 7nm (from NVIDIA) around the corner. At least a 2060 Super should match or exceed the PS5.

Also most games will still be designed to work on the Xbone/PS4 for a while so it should be fine.

Last edited:
It's all in the perspective. My son is jealous right now of my RX 580 since it has 8GB, his 2x295 has 8GB but can only use 4GB and it drives him nuts. LOL

A 2060 super is a damn fine gaming card, and I think it'll have a lot of legs. He'll be gaming on it for a while to come. 7nm is gonna be great and I can't wait to see it, but it'll still cost too much for a while and take a bit to get the wrinkles out. There's a reason I'm not a big fan of bleeding edge stuff, I don't like all the bleeding. ;)

I gotta work in the time frame I have and I think this is gonna be more than just "good enough" for a while to come. He's excited at the idea of trying an nVidia card for the first time, he's gamed on AMD almost all his life and he's sort of interested to see the difference in drivers/gaming/etc.

Not disagreeing that it might be better to wait, I just don't think it's a bad time for me to get it for him either and we're in a fortunate enough position that we can so I'll get it whilst the getting is good!

It's all in the perspective. My son is jealous right now of my RX 580 since it has 8GB, his 2x295 has 8GB but can only use 4GB and it drives him nuts. LOL

A 2060 super is a damn fine gaming card, and I think it'll have a lot of legs. He'll be gaming on it for a while to come. 7nm is gonna be great and I can't wait to see it, but it'll still cost too much for a while and take a bit to get the wrinkles out. There's a reason I'm not a big fan of bleeding edge stuff, I don't like all the bleeding. ;)

I gotta work in the time frame I have and I think this is gonna be more than just "good enough" for a while to come. He's excited at the idea of trying an nVidia card for the first time, he's gamed on AMD almost all his life and he's sort of interested to see the difference in drivers/gaming/etc.

Not disagreeing that it might be better to wait, I just don't think it's a bad time for me to get it for him either and we're in a fortunate enough position that we can so I'll get it whilst the getting is good!
Dude I'm surprised how well my GTX970 still works. Medium/High settings rather than Ultra feels wrong at first but TBH depending on the game it can be hard to tell or appreciate the difference in visual quality.

UPDATE: This is gonna be tight! It left Texas at 10:26am and says it'll be here tomorrow before 9pm. Here's hoping!

Doing my usual "research after purchase" to see if I should cancel and get a different one, but it seems like I picked a pretty decent one and I'm excited to see how it works out for him. Thanks again all! :love:

Thanks, that's the kind of info that's gonna be super important to me at about 10pm tomorrow night if things work out as planned! LOL

Card is all installed and the boy is learning the deep mysteries of the world of nVidiots that we've shunned for so long... :D

Also I got a bit of an afternoon chore thanks to a nasty storm last night:

BrokenTree.jpg

If the card doesn't work out for some reason I have a GTX970 I'll trade straight up. I think this is a good deal. The card has far less transistors so fewer points of failure, and also the VRAM is split into 3.5+.5GB pools so if one goes bad you have a backup :yep2:
I will make sure to let him know that. I've already let him know that if nVidia doesn't work with him that I would reluctantly trade him my RX 580 for it. :yep2:

Back